Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't install XP -BIOSINFO.INF Could not be loaded error 512

by puttram / September 29, 2004 1:19 AM PDT

I am trying to install XP Pro using the XP boot disks (my XP Pro CD is not bootable) and on the first disk I'm getting the mssg:

file \biosionfo.inf could not be loaded.
The error code is 512
Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

The message occurs about one minute into the read - after the message 'Setup is inspection computer..' has gone away.

Here are the system specs: ASUS K7M rev 1.04 motherboard, Athlon 750, AMIBIOS 11/1/1999 62-0720-000000-0010111-071595-A751V686-1AABA114-F. The BIOS is marked (sticker) 686 AMIBIOS 1999 AF05 7559 (chip) SST MPF 39SF020 90-4C-PY 9947042-B.

356mb RAM (3 sticks of 128mb PC100), I've tried it with two sticks, one stick with no luck.
Western Digital 80gig hardrive formatted and empty.
Floppy 1.44 3.5, CD rom, AGP video card (ATI All in wonder 128 and I tried a generic one too).

I've stripped out the NIC, Soundblaster and firewire card but no it didn't fix the issue. I can't find the 512 error code on the windows website. My feeling is that the BIOS needs to be updated, but I have not done it before, and I'm not sure if it would solve the issue. All the links that I've found to ASUS websites for this model are dead, this page as some info: http://www.wimsbios.com/index.htm?/HTML1/asus.html

Need a little guidance, hope you can help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't install XP -BIOSINFO.INF Could not be loaded error 512
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't install XP -BIOSINFO.INF Could not be loaded error 512
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"my XP Pro CD is not bootable"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2004 1:26 AM PDT

I'd tell why this is so.

The issue with the boot diskettes is there are different disketts for each XP. I see this as a stumper for new to XP installers.

But such a machine should boot the XP CD or you have BUSTED HARDWARE and will be battling this for months. I'd fix the hardware.

Another issue with such old hardware is the POWER SUPPLY. The Athlon of that age required a special for its time supply. And those would age and fail later.

All this points to broken/old/unreliable hardware and not a XP issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: "my XP Pro CD is not bootable"
by puttram / September 29, 2004 1:40 AM PDT

Do you have insight into what this error code means, or are you going on experience with dealing with old machines? Are you suggesting to replace the power supply or give up on this machine?

Collapse -
XP glides onto good hardware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2004 1:42 AM PDT

The error message means to me that I need to look over the machine, test its RAM, swap out the CDROM, the power supply and make sure the CPU isn't overheating.

Microsoft error messages do not mean "do this". They never have.

If you don't want to fix the machine, please say so and I'll let you be.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: XP glides onto good hardware.
by puttram / September 29, 2004 2:32 AM PDT

I appreciate your help and am willing to fix the machine. My limitation is that I'm at work and the machine is at home, so it will take me a while to implement any recommendations. I was hoping that you had access to an 'error code' book, surely those codes mean something - even if they don't provide a esolution.

The XP Pro CD I have is from MSDN, I don't think it is bootable. We could confirm this if there is a telltale boot file (like command.sys) that I could look for on the CD.

Collapse -
"error code" Book! I want one! and about your XP CD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2004 2:39 AM PDT

I've never found it.

"The XP Pro CD I have is from MSDN"

That is a very bad sign. That version may not be bootable and will have special install instructions from MSDN or on the CD. Whoever sold you it is likely PULLING A FAST ONE and you are being taken for a ride.

As it stands, nothing might be wrong with your machine and you just have the wrong OS or missing instructions.

It's time for the seller of the MSDN XP PRO CD to help you install that version.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: BIOSINFO.INF 512 ERROR on XP floppy install
by puttram / September 30, 2004 4:17 AM PDT

The error occurs on floppy #1 before it even gets to the CD so it's not a situation they they are incompatible with each other. This floppy/cd install method worked on another machine.
The CD was created as an ISO and MAY not be bootable, If you know how to determine if it SHOULD be bootable, I'll look for it. Even if the were bootable, I fear that the same issue would occur. Any idea what the 512 error is telling us?

Collapse -
Re: BIOSINFO.INF 512 ERROR on XP floppy #1
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2004 4:26 AM PDT

That's a bad diskette image or bad hardware.

The XP CD in your case is not supportable. I can't help you since... It's not an image I use.

Call the place that sold it to you and get a proper CD. Hint: An iso image is not a good sign. It's too likely you have a pirated OS and will have problems until it's resolved.

Trying to use an XP boot diskette to determine what bad hardware you have is ... a bad idea.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: BIOSINFO.INF 512 ERROR on XP floppy #1
by noman51 / November 2, 2004 3:24 AM PST

So i have a legal xp home cd and i downloaded the XP boot floppies from microsoft. I'm attempting to boot from a floppy in order to troubleshoot a problem with the hard drive.
And i have the same error any ideas on that!

Collapse -
noman51
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2004 3:35 AM PST

You should make a new post since you don't have the same issue.

XP on good hardware just boots from CD and installs. You need to boot the CD. Here's why. You can't use just any old diskette boot set. You need the set for your version.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: XP glides onto good hardware.
by puttram / September 29, 2004 3:23 AM PDT

I appreciate your help and am willing to fix the machine. My limitation is that I'm at work and the machine is at home, so it will take me a while to implement any recommendations. I was hoping that you had access to an 'error code' book, surely those codes mean something - even if they don't provide a esolution.

The XP Pro CD I have is from MSDN, I don't think it is bootable. We could confirm this if there is a telltale boot file (like command.sys) that I could look for on the CD.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: Can't install XP -BIOSINFO.INF Could not be loaded
by corvandaal / October 15, 2004 7:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Can't install XP -BIOSINFO.INF Could not be loaded error
by Max.Medusa / November 23, 2004 4:51 PM PST

Ok...

1. Download
ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/slota/km1007.zip
and
ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/slota/flash_K7.exe

2. Make a bootable Floppydisk (format a: /s)

3. Copy the downloaded files on the disk

4. Reboot your PC and start from disk (Be sure to enable the boot-sequence in BIOS to Floppy).

5. Wait until booting from disk is finished.

6. Type with your keyboard:

Flash_K7.exe km1007.bin

7. Follow instructions or just press enter to flash ROM.

8. Wait till you will prompt for finish. Your PC will reboot automaticly when you press ENTER.

9. Go into BIOS and press F5 to load Setup-Defaults.

That's it...
Have fun...

Max.Medusa

Collapse -
Re: Can't install XP -BIOSINFO.INF Could not be loaded error
by Max.Medusa / November 23, 2004 4:54 PM PST

Uuuups....

Try to disable BIOS WRITE PROTECTED in BIOS ADVANCED FEATURES or somewhere in there...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?