Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Can't install windows Vista

by chau.cao / November 21, 2006 11:52 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't install windows Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't install windows Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More Info
by terryparker / November 21, 2006 10:27 PM PST

In order to help you can you please tell me some more info as to why you cannot install vista. Like your system specs. etc.
as soon as you post more info i will help you!!

Collapse -
Windows Vista Home Premium DVD-ROM won't start up at boot!!!
by seth14809 / February 19, 2007 11:28 AM PST
In reply to: More Info

Ok. First thank you to anyone who puts in the time to read this.

I just bought the Windows Vista Home Premium edition upgrade package at best buy earlier today and i'm having a problem installing it.

PROBLEM: the DVD-ROM/Installation won't start up on my computer. It goes onto loading my original XP software automatically as if the disk isn't even in the cd drive.

Now, I've tried changing the boot process order and i've tried loading the disk while i was on my desktop but nothing had worked. I cleaned the disk too with a cloth and still, nothing, zip, nada. I'm hoping theres some sort of solution to getting the disk to begin working.

I know it's a valid disk because i just bought it from best buy. I think the problem is that my computer drive isn't reading the disk when i insert it. Any solutions???

any type of feedback would be sooo greatly appreciated. thanks to all (especially if you read till now)

Sincercely, Seth

from rhode island, USA

Collapse -
Disk or drive?
by John.Wilkinson / February 19, 2007 12:54 PM PST

The base question is whether it is a problem with the DVD or a problem with your optical drive. First, verify that you have a DVD-ROM drive and not just a CD-ROM drive...the latter cannot read a disc meant for the former.

With that established, boot to Windows XP, insert the Vista DVD, open My Computer, and see if the icon of the drive changes or remains the same. Try double-clicking on it and tell us exactly what, if anything, happens.

After that has been jotted down, remove the Vista DVD and try inserting any other DVD (not CD) you may have and see if your computer is capable of accessing it.

If you can access other DVDs but not the Vista one, I would return it to Best Buy as being defective. They can't refund your money, but they can exchange the DVD for another. If other DVDs fail, though, I would bet that either it is just a CD-ROM drive or it is a DVD-ROM drive that is going bad.

Let us know what comes of it...you may get lucky and it turns out to be a missing driver or a loose cable, but post an update so we know what path to go down.

John

Collapse -
Only CD-ROM drive... i think
by seth14809 / February 19, 2007 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: Disk or drive?

Well, I tried putting the DVD-ROM disc into the drive and then clicked on my computer but nothing showed up. The more and more i clicked on the CD drive icon, it just kept popping up: "Insert CD into drive."

I'm having a feeling that my drive is in fact a CD-ROM drive and cannot read DVD-ROM's. My computer is a bit old....approx. 5/6 years old and I'm guessing that back then DVD-ROM drives weren't as prominent as they are now.

So, I guess my question now would be, is there any way I might be able to get a CD-ROM version of the installation disk without having to pay for a completely different disk. Or is there any way to get a DVD-ROM driver (adaptor of some sort) to read the files.

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Seth

Collapse -
Possible solutions...
by John.Wilkinson / February 20, 2007 3:03 AM PST

The laser on a CD-ROM is actually incapable of reading a DVD due to its operation on a different frequency, so it's not possible to resolve the problem by installing special software/driver/adapter. That leaves you with a couple of options:

1.) Purchase a DVD-ROM drive for under $30 and replace your current CD-ROM drive with it. This perhaps the cheapest and fastest resolution to the problem.

2.) Call Microsoft and see if you can order a set of Vista CDs for just the cost of S&H. They do have CD versions for those without DVD-ROM drives, so it's just a matter of getting someone to help you out. You would still use the product key that came with the DVD you purchased at Best Buy.

3.) Take the DVD, along with your computer, to Best Buy and have them install Vista for you. They charge an am and a leg for such installations, though, unless they are running a promotion for those who purchase Vista there.

Good luck.
John

P.S. At 5-6 years old, are you sure that your computer is capable of running Windows Vista reasonably well? I suspect you'll need to have your RAM upgraded to avoid 'jerky' performance, and unless you install a new graphics card you will not be able to take advantage of the new graphical interface (including Aero). If you know any of the specs, or the model number, post them here if you would like some feedback on that.

Collapse -
Thank you
by seth14809 / February 20, 2007 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: Possible solutions...

Ok, well I think that unfortunely I'm going to buy and set up an external DVD-ROM driver and then install Vista from that driver instead of my cd-rom. I tried calling Best Buy to see if they could do anything for me and unfortunely the product cannot be returned as you said.

However, thank you very much for your help. It's greatly appreciated.

Seth

Collapse -
One thing...
by John.Wilkinson / February 20, 2007 1:14 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you

Given the age of your computer, it may not be able to boot from an external drive. Off hand I can't remember if the upgrade installation DVD for Vista must boot from the DVD or if it boots from the extracted files and then accesses the DVD again so I'm not sure if it poses a problem or not, but it's something to be aware of. If it does fail, you'll need to exchange the external drive for an internal one.

Good luck.
John

Collapse -
Post the model number of your computer
by TommyNguyen / March 22, 2007 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: One thing...

The first thing we need to know your computer is compatible with Windows Vista or not. Can you give more details about your computer speed, memory... or you can post the model number of your computer.
Don't buy internal or external DVD ROM before you know your computer is compatible with Windows Vista.

Good Luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.