HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Can't install printer Access is denied

by brucester / April 1, 2011 11:56 PM PDT

Bought a new Epson NX420 Printer a month ago and installed it and everything was working fine with Windows 7 HP Pavillion computer. Then a different user tried printing something and print job got stuck in queue and wouldn't print.So after trying many different options and nothing I tried uninstalling and re-installing printer. Now when I try to do the installation it lets me install everything till it gets to driver and I get error message saying Can't install printer access is denied. I am running it thru an administrator account so I don't know why I am getting this error.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't install printer Access is denied
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't install printer Access is denied
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Error message is Unable to install printer Acess is denied
by brucester / April 2, 2011 12:09 AM PDT

Sorry about that but the real error message is " Unable to install printer Acess is denied"
I have tried installing driver from disk and website and I get same error message.

Collapse -
Just guessing here.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 8:47 PM PDT

What I would try. (You may already have tried these in various orders).

1] Turn off then disconnect the printer. If it is a USB connection see if you need to use "Safely Remove Hardware" which may be showing in the Notification Area, (where the clock is), otherwise simply pull the USB cable out. If it is a PS/2 connection, make sure the computer is shut down before disconnecting.

Restart the computer if necessary.

2] In Devices and Printers from the Start menu, remove the "Default" tick from this printer.

3] Remove the printer as guided by http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Add-or-remove-a-printer.

4] Reboot the computer. This updates Windows files and the registry.

5] Stop the service "Print Spooler" Service from the Services Console. To do that, goto the Control Panel, Administrative Tools, then "Services" in the right hand list. Scroll down and find "Print Spooler", double click the entry and in the new window Stop the service and at the same time set Startup to Disable. Click Apply/OK, close down all windows.

6] Reboot again. This stops the service from automatically starting.

7] Reverse the steps in 5 to restart the Print Spooler service.

Cool Next steps depend on the instructions for installing the printer. Do you need to connect the printer before installing the software, or do you install the software first? Whichever, after installing the software, reboot the computer again.

See if that works.

Mark

Collapse -
Would reinstalling operating system do anything
by brucester / April 3, 2011 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Just guessing here.

Mark and everybody else,
Thanks for your help but nothing seems to be working. Do you think reinstalling operating system would do the trick?

Collapse -
I would rather not duplicate advice
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 4:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Be sure to tell if you are CROSS POSTING.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 1:35 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.