General discussion

can't install java 6 update 23, get error codes

My OS is Vista Home premium 32 bit with Vista sp2
Last night I attempted to install Java 6 Update 23. I had java 6 Update 22. So I removed it via the uninstall program function of Vista. I rebooted after uninstalling. I then went and manually removed any Java/Sun folders and items. I rebooted again

I went to the java website and began the installation process
I was able to download the installation, but not able to install it
Received the following message
Cannot locate network location %APPDATA% Error 1606

So I looked up error 1606 and on the Microsoft website, there seemed to be a fix tool for 1606 errors
So I attempted to run this tool and then got an error code 2738, so was not able to run the tool

Looked up error code 2738 and it said something about the following dll files might not be registered
They are vbscript.dll andjscript.dll

So I registered both of these by using the
Regsrv32 process. Both showed to now be registered

But then when I went to run the fix tool to correct error 1606, it was still unsuccessful
I went ahead and even looked at the registry items that should be fixed by the FIX IT tool for error 1606 and the registry items look correct

I even tried to go back and install java and again got that error Cannot locate network location %APPDATA% Error 1606

So I am at a loss as to what to do next

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: can't install java 6 update 23, get error codes
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: can't install java 6 update 23, get error codes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Link, comment.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549 gives us all the details needed to see if APPDATA is set properly. I ran into one machine the owner had not only run registry cleaners but announced they had deleted "unnecessary folders."

This article helped recreate the folders but fortunate for the shop the owner again cleaned the machine. This time to the point the OS had to be reinstalled.
Bob
- Collapse -
Please Try It This Way..

First, you'll need to get rid of the 1606 error.. See the link below for a long discussion about the issue. If this doesn't fix it, then read through the rest of the thread to see a number of ways to resolve the issue.:

http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6121_102-1200270.html#1200270

Here's the link to the full discussion thread:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6121_102-104829.html

Once that's cleared up, the newest version of Java can be installed like this:

Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then scroll down to the ''Java Platform Standard Edition JDK 6 Update 23 (JDK or JRE)'' section, then click on the "Download JRE" button. Follow the prompts, select the Windows platform and the "Language", if necessary, accept the license agreement, click the "Continue" button, then download the full ''Windows OFFLINE Installation'' file to your desktop,(about 15 MB), scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean). Once that's done, if you've already got a Sun Java version on the computer, open the Control Panel, double click on the ''Add/Remove Programs'' section, then uninstall all previous versions of the J2SE Java listed there. Once that's done, then install Java JRE 6u23 from the downloaded installer.

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
getting rid of the 1606 error

can that be done using that fix tool that microsoft has for this issue rather than going into the registry myself?

- Collapse -
Just wondering

if this was tried in safemode with networking?

- Collapse -
If You're Referring To This...

..."fix tool" in the link below, then the answer is "maybe".. The tool fixes only one type of frequent error, so give it a try.. It won't hurt anything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549

On the other hand, because the 1606 error can affect a number of different registry keys, you'll want to note that I referred to other registry fixes in both of the links mentioned earlier.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Iffy.

The owner I referred to had some idea that Windows has lots of needless folders. They proceeded to clean up everything and it headed south fast. To speed it along I think they tried registry cleaners and other system fix softwares. It finally would boot in 20 or so minutes in spite of all the cleanings.

The article I noted was useful to dive in and bring it back from the edge one time but the fix it didn't work due to the folders deleted. BUT the article helped us find what folders to recreate and check the registry keys.

I'll call this fairly advanced repair.
Bob

- Collapse -
This has been resolved

It was some type of registry error and a Microsoft Fix it tool corrected things. No longer get error 1606

CNET Forums

Forum Info