Computer Help forum

General discussion

can't install an OS

by KPheasey / March 23, 2008 1:26 AM PDT

Well I can't install any operating system and was wondering if you guys could tell me where my problem lies. Here's how it happened.

First when trying to install SP1 for vista x86 I would get the BSD when I booted back up so I had to rollback. So, then I got a copy of Vista HP x64, this is where real trouble starts.

I backed up my data.

Installed vista x64 on a Raid 0 it booted up then I installed chipset drivers, after that would get BSD after windows loading screen, this would happen even in safe mode.

So, I formatted the drives and tried to install vista x64 on a Raid 0, it crawled really slow through the install process then afterwards would flash the BSD and then restart, never letting me into windows (didn't even finish installing).

Then I tried to install Vista x64 on each hdd seperately with the same results as before. Super slow install then flashing a BSD and crashing before I could even get into windows.

So then I tried to install XP Pro, same results however I wouldn't even get to install the OS, it would crawl through the driver loading part and then BSD and restart. Tried this on the raid and on the drives individually.

Then I installed ubuntu (linux) and it installed however would freeze on the loading screen and never move past it.

So, I ran memtest86 and left it for 2hrs with no errors popping up, I checked the drives for errors on a seperate computer and they had no errors.

I think the problem lies in the processor (E6600) or the mobo (MSI P6N SLI Platinum). I flashed the bios on the mobo to the newest version and am still getting the problem. Anyone have any idea how I can make sure exactly whats causing the problem, cause I don't wanna waist $200+ on a new mobo or processor only to have it be the other that was causing the problem?

Rig info:
Core 2 Duo E6600
MSI P6N SLI Platinum
4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 800 XMS2
EVGA 8800GTX
2x500GB HDD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't install an OS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't install an OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Vista HP x64"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2008 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: can't install an OS

Do you have a HP computer?

Collapse -
nope
by KPheasey / March 23, 2008 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: "Vista HP x64"

no its a custom built computer. I'm writting this on an hp computer though.

Collapse -
What you need is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2008 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: nope

The Retail or no-brand OEM XP CD. Using those name branded XP CDs are nothing but trouble.

Collapse -
(NT) HP OS Disks Can Only Be Installed On The PC They Came With
by markcynt / March 23, 2008 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: "Vista HP x64"
Collapse -
I have...
by KPheasey / March 23, 2008 3:52 AM PDT

an oem copy of vista x64, and its an old dell copy of xp i was trying, since i don't have access to my old oem copy of xp untill tomorrow.

Collapse -
Your troubles are directly linked to OEM copies.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2008 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: I have...

Try a full retail copy so it's unadulterated.

Collapse -
it's not the os
by KPheasey / March 23, 2008 7:22 AM PDT

I can't even install linux, and i've tried red hat just now with the same problem. I'm assuming it's the mobo since after I flashed to an older bios I was getting even more problems, especially with recognizin drives, so I order a new evga mobo. And if thats not it i'm jsut gonna upgrade to a quad-core proc. I'll post back to let you guys know.

Collapse -
Seems like there's more than red hat out there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2008 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: it's not the os

Keep trying other distros.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.