General discussion

Can't install 98se on my new PC. Need help!

PC is configured as follows:

ECS 915P-A motherboard
P4 520 (2.8Ghz w/ HT)
AGP 256MB video card
80GB SATA hard drive
PATA CD-ROM

Also available:
80GB PATA hard drive
PATA CD-RW (Pacific Digital)

I have tried to install 98se on several different configurations but it has never finished loading.

The first configuration was exactly as described above (SATA hard drive and one PATA CD). Board found SATA HD on Primary Master and found PATA CD at Third Master. Proceeded to load 98se (also have XP upgrade but have never gotten that far), everything went well until restart when I get the following message:

"Your multi-function device (Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller) has some child devices using 32-bit drivers and others using compatibility mode drivers. This configuration is not supported, so your computer has been halted to prevent corruption. After you restart your computer, Windows will use compatibility-mode drivers for each child device attached to this multi-function device."

Afterward, when I restart Windows, it loads up and starts looking for drivers but can't find any because it stopped talking to my CD. CD is not visible on system tree and device manager shows exclamations points beside all IDE controllers and devices with no drivers.

Perplexed. Called my brother-in-law for help. He suggests I disconnect the SATA HD and connect my PATA HD and reinstall windows. I did but after restart machine won't get past the Windows 98 intro screen. I shut it down and disconnect the CD. Restart with PATA HD only and get to driver search (but CD is not hooked up!!!). Tried several other nonsensical combinations but still no luck. Vexed.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Can't install 98se on my new PC. Need help!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can't install 98se on my new PC. Need help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try...

...the Win98 forum ?

- Collapse -
Whoops! Please see this topic @ 98 Forum

Moving to 98 forum

CNET Forums

Forum Info