Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can't have 2 internet windows open at once! (??!)

by cherylwin / February 23, 2007 3:13 AM PST

system: Windows xp, dell inspiron 9300, processor 1.60GHz 798 MHz 512 MB ram.

In October I downloaded IE7 from and immediately after installing it and using it I was never able to have multiple internet windows open again. I dont know if the problem comes from a bad IE7 file or lack of memory space that i have on my laptop. i already uninstalled IE7 and installed back IE6 but the problem has stayed. I also can't open links that open into another window or javascript links, etc. Popup blockers are not the problem ive checked. Does anyone have anyyy idea what is wrong? How can I fix this? why can't i browse in multiple windows?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't have 2 internet windows open at once! (??!)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't have 2 internet windows open at once! (??!)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
See if the following helps you...
by Edward ODaniel / February 23, 2007 3:17 AM PST
Collapse -
by cherylwin / February 23, 2007 3:38 AM PST

Hmm i tried what it told me todo but the solutions were getting too technical. All the computer says is that "I am attempting to open files used by the OS and various programs. modifying them cud damage"...blabla....

the only other advice written tells me that maybe I should reinstall my OS?? but Im still open for more advice, anyone??

Collapse -
FOLLOWING those directions WILL NOT...
by Edward ODaniel / February 23, 2007 6:06 AM PST
In reply to: confusing!

get you any such messages because nowhere in them were you instructed to "open" anything (although the normal method for ensuring that the keys and values mentioned are as mentioned you do open REGEDIT which again will not present any such message.

If you have trouble following the simple instructions it might be best to take the computer in for repair.

Per the previous link:
To resolve this problem in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
1. Quit all programs that are running.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll , and then click OK.

4. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.

If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below):

As an afterthought, you might FIRST try repairing MSIE by using the Control Panel Add/Remove Applications applet and selecting Internet Explorer then selecting the Repair option when offered.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?