Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

can't go into sleep mode?

by sectornine / June 27, 2006 9:14 PM PDT

when you shut down your pc usually windows gives you three options:

1: sleep

2: shut-down

3: restart

here's the problem, the sleep option isn't available to me, the sleep icon seems to have "fade-out", i can't even click on it, my pc could in fact, go into sleep mode before, but after i reinstall windows the sleep option isn't available to me anymore, why?

thanks for the help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't go into sleep mode?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't go into sleep mode?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: no standby
by Kees Bakker / June 27, 2006 11:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
Juat in case you' ve got Windows 98 ...
by Kees Bakker / June 28, 2006 5:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
by joshk707 / June 30, 2006 4:09 AM PDT

I had the same problem, but after I decided to update my graphics card. I have an onboard one that is disabled and I don't use it and a ati 9250 that I tried to update. However, after installing the updated driver, my computer was very slow. I also noticed that the Stand-By button faded out and I couldn't use it anymore. I did a system restore and my graphics were fine and so was the stand-by button. Once you reinstall windows all the graphics drivers are deleted and that may be the issue. I would try to update the drivers. Hope that helps.

Do this at your own risk and if you know what you're doing.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!