Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't get XP Updates

My system: XP Home Edition SP2 OS
Acer Aspire Notebook

In Windows/System32 I have the 3 files, ne is wudmgr, wuauclt and wuauclt1.

I access the Windows Update where it states:

Keep your computer up to date
Check to see if you need updates for Windows, your programs, your hardware or your devices.
Express Get high-priority updates (recommended)
Custom Select from optional and high-priority updates for Windows and other programs ( I used this option )

Then it stated:

Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:
Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended) ( I used this option )
Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem

Then it stated: Downloadng 100%

After completing this act where I noticed nothing at all being downloaded it returned me back to:

Keep your computer up to date
Check to see if you need updates for Windows, your programs, your hardware or your devices.
Express Get high-priority updates (recommended)
Custom Select from optional and high-priority updates for Windows and other programs

I just go round and round - returning to the start. This means that I am unable to update Sad

Any assistance would be gratefully received

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get XP Updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get XP Updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Microsoft updates

In reply to: Can't get XP Updates

Hi,

Go to start/settings/control panel/Automatic updates. Which of the options have you got enabled?

Get back to us with the answer to this and then we can help you solve your problem.

Collapse -
Can't update XP

In reply to: Microsoft updates

At start/settings/control panel/Automatic updates I have Notify me but don't automatically download or install them checked.

Collapse -
Nett Passport

In reply to: Can't update XP

If you have not got a <nett passport> sign in and get one, then you can get help from posting a thread on Microsoft Newgroup forum.

https://accountservices.passport.net/ppnetworkhome.srf?lc=3081

After you get your passport go to the following page and log in, then post your problem with the heading "Failed to get Microsoft Updates"

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US

The news group has been a wonderful help to me, but you need to get professional help with this. I had the same problem and they were quick and most helpful.

Good luck

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Nett Passport

Thank you very much - will do as you have suggested and will post here again once something happens Happy

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Thanks

A pleasure to help you

I would be most interested to know how you get on.

You may even find the answer to your particular problem on the Newgroup before you need to post a thread. I did on one occassion.

Happy 2007

Collapse -
Ref: Can't get XP Updates

In reply to: Thanks

My problems were resolved by carrying out the following:

Ssimply re-registering the MSXML3.DLL seems to fix the problem.

1. Click Start.
2. Choose Run.
3. In the Run box, type: regsvr32 MSXML3.DLL
Press okay

Now the FIRST option worked for me but if that doesn't help one may need to re-registered some more files:

1. Click Start.
2. Choose Run.
3. In the Run box, type (pressing okay after each one) :-

net stop wuauserv

Repeat for the following:
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
regsvr32 qmgr.dll
regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll

net start wuauserv

Thanks very much for all your assistance. I appreciate that very much indeed. Kiwi974

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Ref: Can't get XP Updates

Glad your okay, thanks for the feedback

warm regards

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.