Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't get XP to boot after installing new MOBO

I have just purchased and installed a RadiSys Endura EM945G MOBO with my old PATA HDD (Seagate ST38001A) and have hit a brick wall. First of all I put the IDE to SATA adapter on the HDD and applied power and data cables. The drive will not spin up at all. I tried changing the bios (Phoenix Award 5J1R2P34) options for the SATA to every option (combined, enhanced and SATA only) to no avail. Any clues on that would be helpful, however...

to circumvent this and just get the PC running I put the drive on the IDE controller by itself. It spins up and attempts to boot but goes into a cyclic reboot. I suspect it is being caused by the old AGP driver being loaded. This MOBO has onboard PCI graphics so I don't need the AGP driver at all. I've tried every safe boot option but still no go. Back in the old days you could do a step by step confirmation to loads selected drivers. Is that possible with WinXP (SP2)?

I could try making a bootable CD and putting the CD drive on as a second (slave) drive on single IDE controller but don't know how I would modify/delete the AGP driver if I did get it to boot.

Any help will be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get XP to boot after installing new MOBO
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get XP to boot after installing new MOBO
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unless the wording is in error

In reply to: Can't get XP to boot after installing new MOBO

Why are you using "IDE to SATA adapter on the HDD" when the motherboard already has the SATA and IDE ports on the motherboard? If that is not what you meant, then excuse that comment.
Anyways, try making a Linux Live CD.
See here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13554_3-9988099-33.html
You can then look at the old harddrive and remove the old drivers. BTW: XP is meant to cause problems when it is moved to another machine, so do not expect to resolve this issue easily. It would probably be best to reinstall XP on the new motherboard and a different harddrive.

Collapse -
Did you do a clean reinstall of the OS

or just attach the drive with an existing installation of XP to a new MB? If the latter is correct, this would be perfectly normal. XP will sense a licensing violation and refuse to load. Now, if this is a full retail version or upgrade version of XP, you can probably get away with changing the drive but booting from your Windows CD and doing a repair installation. You will need to have drivers handy for such as the SATA controller unless you can change the BIOS to a compatibility/IDE emulation mode first. Other drivers will be needed as Windows asks for them later in the installation process. You will need to re-activate Windows XP as well. Now, if yours was an OEM copy of XP, you might not get so lucky. It may install but you could have activation problems.

Collapse -
re:Can't get XP to boot after installing new MOBO

You are correct. There is SATA and IDE, but there is only a single IDE controller. My intention was to put(keep) my two optical drives on IDE and put the HDD on SATA, hence the adapter.

Following your advice, once I get the PC booted in Linux how do I access the drivers? Your observation on trouble with moving XP to another machine gives me concern also. What other kinds of issues should I expect? I opted for keeping my old drive as the boot drive so I WOULDN'T have to reinstall all my software. Is ghosting or cloning to a SATA drive a viable option to accomplish the same?

Collapse -
Probably the best way

In reply to: re:Can't get XP to boot after installing new MOBO

is to do a repair install of XP on the drive as Steven Haninger said. Cloning the drive over to the SATA will not do anything except you can get rid of the adapter. XP will not go along with the new motherboard until all the motherboard drivers are replaced. The best way of doing that is the repair install but that will only work if it is a retail version NOT an OEM. If it were me, I would connect only one optical drive and the IDE hard drive on the IDE controller, and then try the repair install to get that problem fixed. Then if you go the Linux route, get all the useful files that you need and save them somewhere for later (separate media from the hard drive)

Collapse -
yea but...

In reply to: Probably the best way

IF I were to clone onto the SATA and remove the PATA from the configuration altogether wouldn't I be able to take advantage of the higher throughput of SATA? And I honestly do not remember the lineage of XP but I believe the OS on this PC is an upgrade dating back to Win95 (ie - 95>98>2000>XP). I know I probably need to just bite the bullet and buy a new full copy of Win7 (which was actually my New Year's resolution) but I've got some applications we use on this HDD that even if I could find the media I'd be lucky if it were any good (we're talking 3.5 floppy type stuff). I'm rambling...

And again - when I get booted from Linux how do I modify drivers on the XP installation?

Collapse -
Actually may have misled you

In reply to: yea but...

After looking for the procedure again, I may have overstated the solution. It seems what I was thinking about is only for the Harddrive controller drivers and not for just any driver. Sorry

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.