Samsung forum

General discussion

Can't get WiseLinkPro DNLA to recognize PC

by zookeeper0121 / August 22, 2009 11:27 AM PDT

I have a Samsung ln52a750 TV with WiseLinkPro DLNA.

I'm network-connected to the TV and did an "auto setup", which assigned an IP address in the range of my network.

I did a "network test" on the TV which passed with flying colors.

I can ping the TV from my laptop on the same network.

However, when I hit the "WiseLink" button on my remote (it says no storage device attached), the TV doesn't seem to see the PlayOn Server I have installed on my destop (which works fine with my Xbox 360. Also, the Samsung MediaShare PC (or whatever it's called) software I installed on my desktop doesn't show "WiselinkPro Server", it says "Mediashare Server" or something. It also doesn't show the IP address of my TV so I can "allow" it in the server.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Walt

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get WiseLinkPro DNLA to recognize PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get WiseLinkPro DNLA to recognize PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can't get WiseLinkPro DNLA to recognize PC
by _jr_ / August 22, 2009 1:14 PM PDT

Is there a router in the mix? If yes, check that it has UPnP enabled. This is what allows your laptop to see the TV...

_jr_

Collapse -
Think so...
by zookeeper0121 / August 22, 2009 4:17 PM PDT

I'll check, but I would think so, since the same exact setup worked fine with my Xbox, but when I hook it to the TV, the network test passes, but Wiselink fails...

Collapse -
Think so...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 23, 2009 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Think so...

zookeeper0121,

Do you have the files shared within Windows (Share this folder) and have you dropped the folders (not drives) that you want to share content from into the PC Share manager interface?

If you have, try right clicking on the shared folder, and select "Property". Make sure it's shared and then click OK.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Hmmmmm....
by zookeeper0121 / August 24, 2009 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Think so...

I'm not even getting to that point, Anthony. Shouldn't other media servers be able to work with the TV as well? Like I mentioned, "Playon" recognizes my Xbox right away and gives it it's folders to view, but the TV doesn't come up with PlayOn or the Samsung Server or anything, even though it passes the 'network test' 100%.

Also, the Samsung server isn't saying "Wiselink Pro" as the server that's running. There is a server running, but it's not named that (which is what the documentation says it should be called), and that running server doesn't show the IP of the TV as a selection when I try to "Allow" that IP.

I think there's something else fundamentally wrong with something. As I mentioned, the TV is definitely on the network, and I can ping it from another network resource (my laptop).

This may need a "tiger team", so can you please make some calls and see if anybody on the Samsung team has any ideas?

... frustrated! Wink

Thanks!

Walt

Collapse -
Hmmmmm....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 24, 2009 1:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmmmmm....

zookeeper0121,

As far as compatibility with other servers and streaming programs, I have no definitive way of knowing which ones it will and will not work on. I'll try to see what the name of the server is with PC Share Manager.

Already sent it up. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
Router problems
by jw650 / August 24, 2009 11:27 PM PDT

Don't know if this applies to your situation, but I couldn't get my TV and PC to talk when they were connected via wireless bridge. The wireless router didn't seem to pass the SSDP broadcast packets that advertise the devices to other network devices. Try connecting by direct wire if you can.

Collapse -
Thanks JW!
by zookeeper0121 / August 25, 2009 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Router problems

Yeah... my TV is downstairs and my network router is upstairs, so an ethernet run is not ideal.

The wireless bridge is passing whatever needs to be passed between the PC media server(s) and my X-box, but not between the PC/TV, as JW mentions. What's different about the TV?

Are these packets JW mentions the problem, and can they be enabled on the TV somehow (I'm probably not stating this right!)...?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Hellooooooooo????
by zookeeper0121 / August 27, 2009 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks JW!

Any ideas Anthony??

Collapse -
Firewall?
by donbuczynski / August 27, 2009 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Hellooooooooo????

Since you can ping the TV from the PC, it might be a firewall problem somewhere. Needed ports are being blocked. You might try temporarily disabling the PC firewall or router security. I would disconnect the router from the internet while you try this.

In my setup, the PC is wire connected to a Linksys wireless router. The router connects to the internet. A ZyXEL wireless bridge connects to the router. My TV (A950) is cable wired to the ZyXEL bridge. Able to use PC Share and TVersity to stream video, audio and pictures to the TV using the TV remote. PC Share and TVersity show up as selectable sources on the TV when either is run.

Collapse -
Hellooooooooo????
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 28, 2009 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Hellooooooooo????

zookeeper0121,

There are a bunch of points posted here, so let me know what you'd like to clarify.

A bridge is the only way to wirelessly stream, since the Linkstick itself had a lower bandwidth than the 2009 one. The network itself may show up as a different name, but what am I missing?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Infolink
by _jr_ / August 27, 2009 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks JW!

This is getting a bit confusing. In your original post, nowhere did you mention that you were running wireless connection from the TV/wireless bridge to the router.

"I'm network-connected to the TV and did an "auto setup", which assigned an IP address in the range of my network." Etc... - This is what you said. I am now wondering what 'network-connected' actually means... But to me, it sure didn't sound like you had a wireless connection.

Now it turns out your have a wireless bridge... (?) This is entirely different. The chance of something being misconfigured has doubled.

Can you engage Infolink? Infolink does not rely on UPnP/SSDP or PC-to-TV connectivity/Media server. If Infolink doesn't work, your TV is misconfigured, even though it passes the Network Test. It does happen...

_jr_

Collapse -
additional info...
by zookeeper0121 / August 28, 2009 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Infolink

I didn't put in the wireless bridge part because then you often get the "we don't support wireless bridges... connect with a cable" from the manufacturer's tech support.

Infolink works fine. Does that make it even more mysterious?? LOL

I just don't understand this at all... and I'm a fairly network-savvy guy.

Collapse -
additional info...
by _jr_ / August 28, 2009 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: additional info...

It is certainly interesting, and it can mean many different things.

When you say your TV 'auto-detected' IP settings, are they similar to your Xbox? What wireless bridge are you using, btw? I've got a very similar setup, and it works really well...

It's all very strange. Everything seems to be in working order, yet something is misfiring...

_jr_

Collapse -
Did the Samsung Techs give up on me??
by zookeeper0121 / August 28, 2009 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: additional info...

It's a Linksys WRT-54G running dd-wrt... the main (cable) router is D-link

works great with my X-box... runs Xbox Live, passes media server info to it no problem

unplug bridge from Xbox, attach to the TV... Infolink works, "network test" passes, but TV doesn't see media server (either PlayOn or Samsung server)

yes, the "auto setup" assigns an IP address within the parameters of my network.

conceptually, attaching the router as bridge should be the same as connecting a direct Ethernet cable... the clients shouldn't know/care it's wireless, right?

Collapse -
connections
by zookeeper0121 / August 28, 2009 5:01 AM PDT

There's only one ethernet port on the back of that TV, right? I couldn't really get back there to see real well. I may double-check that tonight, but I believe that's the case...

Collapse -
by _jr_ / August 28, 2009 5:25 AM PDT

Yes.:) Right after you mentioned wireless bridge...:) And now dd-wrt...

Seriously though, I can't add much... other than it is still possible to pass the network test and have a totally misconfigured IP. I've done it before, and I was getting Infolink, but no DLNA. I got "No media devices attached" or something like that. I think my gateway was set to the router's public IP rather than local, or something along that line. I would check to make sure your TV's IP settings match those of the Xbox that you know works well.

I hope you figure it out...

_jr_

Collapse -
OK
by zookeeper0121 / August 28, 2009 6:28 AM PDT

OK, thanks! I'll let you know... watch this space! Wink

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 28, 2009 3:29 PM PDT

zookeeper0121,

It's not that I wouldn't help with a network bridge, it's that not all of them are supported or will work. Our tech support can only support the LinkStick or a wired connection, but I (and other memebers here) have no problem talking about it. I'm not going to NOT help you based on the fact that you went with a bridge, but I can't guarantee it will work, or that I'll be able to solve the problem - I'm just not in tune with every Linksys, D-Link, ActionLink, Netgear and Apple router on the market, and there are hundreds. But collectively, there might be a solution.

I haven't answered because every time I came back, I either lost track of what you were doing or something changed.

Here's what I understand:

You have a LN52A750 with a LinkSys WRT-54G Router (Why run dd-wrt rather than the bundled software? Most user issues can be resolved by updating the firmware of the router).

There is an Ethernet port (one) on the rear of the television.

If you are running PC Share Manager 2.1, you need to go back to the PC Share Manager software either bundled with the television or this version:

http://tinyurl.com/l2mfa5

Check the version of the software you're using and let me know what that says.

--HDTech

Collapse -
wired by cable
by dholli / October 1, 2009 2:19 AM PDT

Dear sirs i just wired my tv to my router but get nothing im using a linskys router however i cant find any ports to add might anyone be able to help please. model of tv is LN52A750,thank you very much.

Collapse -
Wiselink
by LonghornMike / February 25, 2011 4:39 PM PST

I had this same problem for a little while and yes the Samsung people were of no help. The tv is not seeing any servers so it is defaulting to the USB port for a thumbdrive. You need to launch the PC Share app, make sure you are sharing a folder of some kind, Make sure the computer server is marked ON (in the server menu) then power the tv off and back on, wait a few moments and the problem will be solved.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?