Windows 7 forum

Question

Can't get Win7 critical updates

by glssldy57 / July 4, 2011 4:23 AM PDT

I am using Win7, that I bought about a year ago, It's an eMachine & I don't know the model
number. Where do I find the model number? It won't let me download critical updates (for almost a week
now), and keeps saying "Failure configuring Windows Reverting changes"
and then it restarts and does the same thing all over again! Why can't I
get my windows updates? This is driving me crazy and I'm afraid that
one of the "failure to update... and reverting changes" is going to fry
my PC, or worse, stop it from coming on at all! PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS
INCESSANT SEVERAL TIMES A DAY PROBLEM! Thanks so much for any help you can offer to fix this problem! I
got this desktop model close to a year ago and this just started recently, like
a week ago. If you need anymore information, then please advise
and I'll try to find out what you need, to proceed with you and your
team, getting my less than a year old desktop computer!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get Win7 critical updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get Win7 critical updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Updates, manually
by Willy / July 8, 2011 3:35 AM PDT

Try the manual update form the MS update service. Once there, DON"T do an automated update, rather do the "custom" one. This does two things, it lists what updates are available and you can d/l only update or more and see what the results are. You may also have time to see how you browser is acting. If you IE(likely) verify that protection from the browser is allowing it to d/l any updates. Also, you may want to check your firewall as well. You can turn it off or fine tune it or delete/remove any reference that maybe calling the update service a threat either by mistake or error. Check all that out.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Scanned For Malware First?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 4, 2011 7:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
Scanned For Malware First? - New! by Grif Thomas
by glssldy57 / July 4, 2011 12:33 PM PDT
Hi Grif, I did download the 2 you mentioned and one of thm wanted more money than I've already spent today, but I did let it scan, it wanted like $69.99 to fix it! But the other one - SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool you suggested had a free version and I did use that, and it seemed to fix some problems. So now should I go ahead and do the the microsoft link that you said to go to after I did both scans? I was just wondering, since I didn't pay to have the first service remove anything. I am on a disability income and it won't let me pay for than the $80+ that I've already spent today! So will the Windows Update site possiblly work now? I guess I can only try and thank you soo much for giving me more help than anything else that I've tried today!
I'll let ya know how it turned out and thanks again for trying to help and maybe even fixing the problem! God bless!
Collapse -
I did go to Microsoft for help with Win7
by glssldy57 / July 4, 2011 2:59 PM PDT

I'm just waiting for them to hopefully get back to me soon. Thanks for your help!!! Grin

Collapse -
Then Reregister The DLL Files Below
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 5, 2011 7:44 AM PDT

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below

Click Start, then type: then type cmd in the search box, and when it's displayed at the top of the search box, RIGHT click on cmd.exe, choose "Run as administrator" from the little menu.
When the command windows loads, type the following commands at the blinking cursor. Press ENTER after each command.
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Close the command window and reboot the computer. Attempt to run Windows Update

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
The command window? from Grif
by glssldy57 / July 5, 2011 11:50 PM PDT

The lady at Microsoft had me rename the Windows update file, so I'm not sure if that'll work now or not? Should i still try to enter all the commands you listed above? I'm not sure if it will work since she renamed the update file... Sorry for all the trouble I'm giving you, but I'm really worried that this problem is going to make another computer go down the drain and on disability I just don't have the money to buy another one!
Thanks for all your help Grif!
Alyson

Collapse -
Yes, Try The Steps I Suggested...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 6, 2011 1:02 AM PDT

It shouldn't matter and registering the .dll files mentioned can frequently fix the problem.

And remember when typing the commands I gave earlier, each command needs a single space between the "regsver32" and the dll name. No other spaces are used in each command line. So each one should look like this:

regsver32(single space)xxxx.dll
The press the Enter key

After pressing the Enter key, as long as there is no error message, simply type in the next command with the next .dll file in the list.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif's "try the steps"
by glssldy57 / July 6, 2011 1:48 AM PDT

Well about half of them succeeded, but here's what it said about these 3: "The module "regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll", "regsvr32 wucltui.dll" and "regsvr32 wuweb.dll" all failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.The specified module could not be found."
Of course it said each one individually, but I grouped them here for you to see... what now? I don't know how to make sure the binary is stored at ... or debug it... like it says to do here.
Thanks so much for your help!
Alyson

Collapse -
No Worries, They Don't Exist On Windows 7
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 6, 2011 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Grif's "try the steps"

The .dll items I gave you are inclusive for a number of versions of Windows, including Windows XP, the files you mentioned are not installed on Windows 7.

And since you've done the others so nicely, I have three more dll files that need to be registered for Windows 7.. As before, open the command window and type each line below, then press the Enter key after each one:

regsvr32 wuwebv.dll
regsvr32 wucltux.dll
regsvr32 wudriver.dll

After that, restart the machine and, does Windows Updates work now?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
No worries...?
by glssldy57 / July 6, 2011 3:00 AM PDT

It took the first two, but the last one it had this to say: The module "wudriver.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found. Make sure that "wudriver.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again."
Should I go ahead and restart it now anyway?

Collapse -
Yep, Restart and Visit The Windows Updates Site
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 6, 2011 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: No worries...?

After the restart, make sure you can access the internet, then open the Control Panel, then double click on the "Windows Update" icon. Once there, click on the "Check For Updates" link on the left side or the little blue "Check online for Windows/Microsoft Updates" and let it scan your computer for updates. If updates are found you'll see a blue link stating "X number of updates are available". Click on the blue link and place CHECK marks in all the updates that need to be installed, then click on OK. Once back to the original display, install the updates.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Yep, Restart and...
by glssldy57 / July 7, 2011 1:46 AM PDT

Hey Grif,
That didn't fix it either... I'm really getting tired of this BS and even Microsoft hasn't written me back since I sent them the info they asked for on Tuesday. I thought that I'd let you know what they asked for and here it is:
Step 1: Run Microsoft Fix It Tool 50202 to reset Windows Update components
Step 2: Rename the Windows Update Softwaredistribution folder
Step 3: How to collect the System InformationStep
Step 4: How to collect the WindowsUpdate.log file
I sent her all of the above, but haven't received any answers yet, so hopefully she IS working on my case.. I just don't understand why this problem started and why it's so hard to fix, geez it's only updates right?!
Thanks for your help though, I really am grateful that you've taken the time to work with me on this!
Alyson

Collapse -
What We Do Here....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 7, 2011 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep, Restart and...

Sorry you're having to jump through so many hoops..

At some point on our machines, it becomes more work than it's worth to troubleshoot all the issues and attempt fixes.. We quickly make a decision to backup all the important files to a DVD or other removable location, then we format the disc and reinstall everything from scratch.. All our machines have Recovery discs or recovery partitions and the whole process only takes a couple of hours to have the computer back up and running again.. Once it's formatted and everything is reinstalled, we IMMEDIATELY visit the Windows Updates site and install the updates..

The updates are critical to safe computing and the format and reinstall brings the computer back to it's original configuration so the updates will correctly install.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
That's news to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2011 1:24 AM PDT

All the apps Grif notes will fix what they find for free.

If not, BE VERY DETAILED ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED!
Bob

Collapse -
Answer to R Proffitt
by glssldy57 / July 5, 2011 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: That's news to me.

No the "Malwarebytes Antimalware" is not free, I went there agai today and tried to find a free version, but I couldn't find it!... Microsoft is trying to help me now, so maybe they'll get it figured out before too much longer, hopefully! Thanks for your help! Alyson

Collapse -
EVen the Fix it tool from Microsoft didn't hep at all
by glssldy57 / July 5, 2011 6:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Answer to R Proffitt

I didn't even get me a restore point going before it was supposed to do more... so something must be really wrong with my system now and I sure hope Microsoft is going to help me get this problem fixed finally!
Thanks for everyone's input and hopefully one of the things Microsoft is trying with me will work... I can only pray and hope that it does help!!! Alyson

Collapse -
Malwarebytes is Free..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 5, 2011 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Answer to R Proffitt
Collapse -
You were all right, sooo sorry about the Malwarebytes...
by glssldy57 / July 5, 2011 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Malwarebytes is Free..

Yes you were right, I must've clcked on something else, and I apologize to e1 that I argued with! I'm not sure if it's fixed yet, but the person from Microsoft is going into great detaillll and having me send her all kinds of system things to help figure out the problem. Thanks for the wishes of good luck, because it's looking ike I'm gonna need it.
Thanks to all (especially Griff) for all the help and links to get me where I needed to go! Have a great evening and I'll let you know how it turns out with the Microsoft team.... hopefully they'll figure it out!
Alyson ?

Collapse -
Answer
Details are needed. For example those .NET updates
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2011 3:41 AM PDT

Are known to fail and the root cause was found. BUT I have yet to notice if Microsoft has updated the updates to work around the cause.

I read this discussion top to bottom and may have missed it so I'll ask a few questions.

1. What updates failed? Do not answer with all as my answer would be to reinstall the damaged OS.

2. What did MBAM and SAS find? In this case a little vague answer will do and if there is something more detailed needed I'll follow up with a deeper question.
Bob

Collapse -
To R. Proffitt
by glssldy57 / July 7, 2011 6:31 AM PDT

There are 5 critical updates that have been trying to configure for about a week now and they're security updates. MBAM & SAS found normal stuff I guess, but it didn't help the updates to finally configure. They will install, but when it says to restart... you already know since you've read my posts. It just won't configure them.

Collapse -
Sorry, I read it top to bottom and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2011 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: To R. Proffitt

I did not find the numbers of the updates. Without them I can't check what they are and use that to guess what could be amiss.
Bob

Collapse -
Updates?
by glssldy57 / July 8, 2011 2:41 AM PDT

It was 6 "critical updates" and now it's saying 4... The Microsoft lady finally wrote me back today and she's still having me jump through the hoops with different tests, etc... but none of them are getting my updates configured. They were going to 77% before saying "failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes". This has been going on for over a week now & I'm really worried that something bad is going to happen before these darn updates get configured. It's installs them, but never configures them fully and then reverts the changes. Grrrrr!!!

Collapse -
I read that but no specific update.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2011 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Updates?

The updates have some identifier such as

KB123456 and KB1234567

These identify what the update is and can help in what to do. Without that, you could reinstall the OS and find yourself back to where you started. Some of those updates require a little finesse to install.

While we could discuss "it could be better" I hope to see the update numbers soon.
Bob

Collapse -
Update names, to Bob Proffitt...
by glssldy57 / July 8, 2011 7:20 AM PDT

Hey hon, it flashes the updates so fast that I can't writ them down fast enough to get the complete details for the update(s). Some of them are Net updates, but they are all critical updates, and that's what's got me so worried that my system is going to get a serious problem without them, especially since the MS lady's first step for me to do tody was disable all things in the part of the system that she wanted to see if it would help get the updates configured finally! I can maybe find the updates through one of the attachments that she gave me to do and that I have copied in my files to keep up with what I'm sending her, with her detailed instructions from her, so I CAN get that information to refer you to. Did you see the model Number, system info and the other info I sent to Grif? I did ask him if he needed anymore info from that file that completely describes what the info on my pc is.
Check that and if you need more info, please specify the info that you need and I'll do my best to send it to you here. It's just so hard to send all that info here, so even with zip files, I'm not sure if I can put it here without an email to send them as attachments and I know they don't advise that here.. (exchanging emails, etc...)
Thanks for your help and please let me know if there's anything else that you may need to try to help me figure out this big problem that is now bringing me down pretty low, in mental exhaustion, lol!
Thanks for yur help Bob, I do appreciate your & Grif's help VERY MUCH my friend!
Alyson

Collapse -
Re: .Net updates
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 8, 2011 7:28 AM PDT

1. There's a good chance you don't use .Net at all. If you uninstall all versions, there won't be any updates left to give errors. If it turns out you need it for some program, just install the latest version from the Microsoft site.

2. If you go to Windows update via Tools>Windows Update in Internet Explorer, you'll be able to see the update history. That shows exactly what updates failed, and you can click on them to get more info including an error number and a link to dedicated help with Microsoft. Even if it doesn't help you, it might help Bob and Grif to help you, if you provide that info.

Kees

Collapse -
To Kees_B...
by glssldy57 / July 8, 2011 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: .Net updates

Some of the did have NET attached to the updates, but tey won't let me copy and paste, and I can't type that fast before the next one installs. They always install quickly, but they just won't configure and revert changes every fricking time! I'll try to find out the exact updates it's trying to give me, but until then.. all I can say is that they're 'critical updates' and that's what's scaring the crap out of me!
Thanks Kees, Alyson

Collapse -
Update names, to Bob Proffitt
by glssldy57 / July 8, 2011 7:48 AM PDT

I'll try to find it ASAP in one of the attachments that I sent to MS today or on the 6th when I first started sending her info that she asked for. I'm wish I had n email to just attach the info and send it easier to you that way, but if I can't get your & Grif's emails, then I'm a little afraid to send the whole attachments here. Who knows what not so nice person might take them and really mess me up worse (if that's even possible at this point). I'll check back on those & get back to you ASAP.
Thanks again,
Alyson

Collapse -
Look at Kees replies.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2011 9:27 AM PDT

"If you go to Windows update via Tools>Windows Update in Internet
Explorer, you'll be able to see the update history. That shows exactly
what updates failed, and you can click on them to get more info
including an error number and a link to dedicated help with Microsoft.
Even if it doesn't help you, it might help Bob and Grif to help you, if
you provide that info."

And about the .net thing. It's WELL DISCUSSED, the cause was found and Microsoft is doing a poor job at times about how to workaround (!) the issue. I have heard nothing about a fix for the folk that don't want to start their own Microsoft IT Group.

Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Well Grif... it said to start a new post...
by glssldy57 / July 7, 2011 6:05 AM PDT

I have no idea how to "backup all the important files to a DVD or other removable location,
then we format the disc and reinstall everything from scratch.. All our
machines have Recovery discs or recovery partitions and the whole
process only takes a couple of hours to have the computer back up and
running again.." so I guess I'm screwed! I don't know how to tell which files are important and which don't matter, let alone format the disc. Maybe Microsoft will have an easier idea for me, OR maybe they won't... the way they're taking their time with this. I wrote to them again today and asked what they've figured out so far, but no answer yet.
Anyway, thanks very much for all the help you've given me! They ought to pay you here, lol, I've seen you answering alot of other folks questions too. What a nice guy you are, if you are doing all this for free!!!
Alyson

Collapse -
Have You Backed Up Your MY Documents Folder?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 7, 2011 11:38 AM PDT

If not, then you should do so NOW.. Have you never burned data to a DVD or CD?

And next, do you have recovery discs for your computer? (It would sure help if you gave us the make and model number of the computer as such might help us regarding recovery options.) Or does your computer have a recovery partition? (For example, pressing F10 or F11 on an HP computer will frequently give you the ability reformat the computer and reinstall everything back to its original factory condition.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!