Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Can't get rid of TROJ PAKES.NP--please help!

by izzyom / May 26, 2007 11:27 PM PDT

Hello all! Please be patient as I am a new member and a computer novice. My computer seems to be infected with a trojan virus and I can't seem to get rid of it....it keeps coming back.

I would venture that every other time I turn my PC on, my anti-virus software, Trend Micro PC-cillin, finds that TROJ_PAKES.NP has infected a file or files on my system. The first time this happened, I called the Trend Micro tech support and the representative I spoke with was of little help. All the representative told me was that once the files were in quarantine they could not harm my system. This was of little help as I want to make sure my system is free and clear of the trojan.

I have no idea how I even got this trojan on my computer. I have not downloaded any attachments, etc. What can I do to eradicate this once and for all? This is disturbing considering I've never had a virus and I hope it is not wreaking havoc on my system.

System info: Windows XP Media Center, HP Pavilion, Trend Micro PC-cillin anti-virus, Spy Sweeper spyware program

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get rid of TROJ PAKES.NP--please help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get rid of TROJ PAKES.NP--please help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
izzyom
by tomron / May 27, 2007 12:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
TROJ PAKES.NP - is in update May 25, 2007
by Marianna Schmudlach / May 27, 2007 1:47 AM PDT

What you could try:

Download:

Trend Sysclean Package
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp

PLUS:

the latest Trend signature files
http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp

Create a directory on drive "C:\" e.g., "c:\New Folder") or the desktop
(e.g., "C:\Documents and Settings\Chieftan\Desktop\New Folder")

Download sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
Dowload the signature files (pattern files) by obtaining the ZIP
file.

For example; lpt218.zip
Extract the contents of the ZIP file and place the contents in the
same directory as sysclean.com.

Update Adware SE 1.06r1 with the latest definitions.
Reboot your PC into Safe Mode

Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform
a Full Scan of your platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found. (a few cycles may be needed)

Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform
using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware.

Collapse -
Trojan Programs
by mostfortune8 / August 2, 2009 8:35 AM PDT

I found one major "supplier" so to speak of the Trojan is the free Ad a ware that I down loaded from here. So please DO not use this software!!

Margie Fortune

Collapse -
Sorry Margie, But This Post
by tobeach / August 2, 2009 4:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Trojan Programs

is over 2 years old and the Ad-Aware 106r hasn`t been offered or supported for almost that long.

As a caution, the are MANY, various ROGUE programs that try to appear the same as the legit ones but vary the name by a tiny amount to catch searchers that don`t quite have the spelling etc.right such as:

Ad Aware (legit is Ad-Aware with hyphen), Spy Bot (legit is Spybot Search & Destroy.. 1 word not 2, etc. You may have got one of those. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.