Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't Get Past BSOD

by Ascertain20 / August 26, 2011 5:21 AM PDT

We have an an EMachines T2958 with Windows XP Home SP3. We recently installed a new Netgear USB wireless adapter and a new version of Bullguard. After that, it started running slow and started giving us blue screens that say "a device driver attempting to corrupt the system has been caught. The faulty driver on the kernel stack must be replaced with a working version." I can get into Safe Mode fine, but I get a blue screen after a few minutes in normal mode that runs slow. I thought it may have been either the D-Link wireless card we have or the Netgear USB adapter so we tried removing the D-Link card, and it didn't make any difference.

I feel like I've tried everything, even system restore doesn't work. Is there some kind of way to fix this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Get Past BSOD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Get Past BSOD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds familiar.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2011 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't Get Past BSOD
Collapse -
Hijack This
by Ascertain20 / August 26, 2011 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds familiar.

Can I post the log here or do I have to go to another website?

Collapse -
Your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2011 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Hijack This

But it's not a focus of this forum. You can try but if you looked at that other discussion it was pretty involved but a lot sounded the same to me.

I'm losing count of machines with overlapping and conflicting protection. Spybot/Teatimer continues to be a common finding.

But if you want to know what forums do this, read this link -> http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6132_102-255339.html?tag=contentBody;threadListing
Bob

Collapse -
BSOD
by flrhcarr / August 29, 2011 2:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Can't Get Past BSOD

I totally agree with Bob on this one. Teatimer & Spybot taxes systems to death. Seeing you can get into safe mode, root out any sign of them, if they are the culprit.
Once in Safe mode, see if you can restore from a previous time. As a last resort, turn on your computer & press the power button for off, several times, till you get the screen that lists previous known working. Select that & see if that doesn't help. But be careful, you may have to look around for files, & software installations as it will find the one it likes the most.
Hope this adds a little more information on your quest.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!