Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't get online, YahooBB ISP.

I've tried everything. At least everything that I'm aware of as a Mac user.

I just received my wife's PC back from being serviced at Yamada Denki (we live in Japan by the way), the keyboard and HDD were replaced so the OS was completely reinstalled at her request...and in Japanese. However we were told that we would still have to set it up, by that I assume they meant the Internet accessibility. Well, easier said than done for me coming from my plug n play MacBook. And I'd have my wife set it up but she knows less than I do.

Here's what I've tried:

I used the Setup disc provided by our ISP(YahooBB here in Japan) 3 times and still both Explorer and Firefox wont work(i downloaded firefox on my mac and installed on the PC to see if it was just a problem with Explorer as to why we couldn't surf). However, we can receive and send mail through our YahooBB account which is setup on Outlook. So, definitely we are connected to the internet. I even see under LAN>Properties that Packets are being sent and received.

I turned off the Firewall under Control Panel>Network> LAN>Advanced. Still no go.

I used the Internet setup wizard several times trying to set up the internet via auto DHCP or whatever it is, and auto ISP retrieval. I even tried manually by checking the ISP address on my Mac and inputting it in XP with the slight change the last digit for the router port it is in. I have tried 2 of 4 router ports and they both didnt work.

I even reset the router by unplugging it as that usually seems to solve any connectivity problems I ever have on my Mac and PS2. However, it didn't work for the PC... I have a Mac and a Wii connected to the router as well and their internet both work fine.

I'm really at a loss as to how to get this working and I'm sick of sharing my computer with my wife, haha. Please help me!

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get online, YahooBB ISP.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get online, YahooBB ISP.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: can't get online.

In reply to: Can't get online, YahooBB ISP.

It's a rather long story, but "wont work" really doesn't tell too little. So please tell more. Go into a command window, and type:
1. ipconfig (+ enter key)
2. ping 216.239.122.220
3. ping www.cnet.com

And tell your connection: dial-up, cable, ADSL, satellite?
And tell your OS: Windows 98, 2000, XP, Vista?

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks, will try.

In reply to: Re: can't get online.

Ok, I'll figure out how to do that and re-post with the info. See, something like that goes way over my head being a mac user.

I can tell you right now that my connection is ADSL from YahooBB(Japan) using a 3-G Modem routed through a Buffalo Broad Station Router. I also have my MacBook and a Nintendo Wii on the same router which both work fine.

Soon as I have a chance I will get the other info from the command window.

Thanks.

Collapse -
ipconfig data

In reply to: Thanks, will try.

OK, followed your advice and retrieved all the information. I hope this can help you to pinpoint the problem because it sort of means nothing to me. If I had to guess I would say DNS fields are missing, but then I have no idea how to remedy that.

Both pings worked no problem. I couldn't figure out how to take a screenshot on the Japanese Keyboard so I copied to Text and e-mailed from my PC to Mac (which works no problem).

IPCONFIG DATA:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\NEC-USER>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : megumi
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter ローカル エリア接続(This says LAN):

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-30-13-CA-91-D7
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.11.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::230:13ff:feca:91d7%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.11.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.11.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.11.1
fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 2007年8月31日 10:27:42
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 2007年9月2日 10:27:42

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-0B-03
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.11.3%2
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Documents and Settings\NEC-USER>(HERE IT SAYS NEC-USER WHEN IN FACT WE ARE LOGGED IN AS MY WIFE'S ACCOUNT! HOW DO WE CHANGE/GET RID OF THIS NEC-USER AND JUST MAKE IT MY WIFE'S COMPUTER?

PING 216

C:\Documents and Settings\NEC-USER>ping 216.239.122.220

Pinging 216.239.122.220 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.239.122.220: bytes=32 time=265ms TTL=235
Reply from 216.239.122.220: bytes=32 time=358ms TTL=235
Reply from 216.239.122.220: bytes=32 time=301ms TTL=235
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 216.239.122.220:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 265ms, Maximum = 358ms, Average = 308ms

PING CNET:

C:\Documents and Settings\NEC-USER>ping www.cnet.com

Pinging c18-ssa-xw-lb.cnet.com [216.239.122.220] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.239.122.220: bytes=32 time=287ms TTL=235
Reply from 216.239.122.220: bytes=32 time=175ms TTL=235
Reply from 216.239.122.220: bytes=32 time=387ms TTL=235
Reply from 216.239.122.220: bytes=32 time=435ms TTL=235

Ping statistics for 216.239.122.220:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 175ms, Maximum = 435ms, Average = 321ms

I hope this helps out.

I anticipate a reply!

Thank you.

Collapse -
This clearly shows ...

In reply to: ipconfig data

that everything is fine. You are connected to the router, you can reach cnet with ping (so the dns works) and you can mail. Nothing wrong at all.

So it's strange indeed that both IE and Firefox "don't work". Can you tell more on that? What happens (in both browsers) if you put http://216.239.122.220 in the address bar and press "Go". And with http://www.cnet.com? And if you click on the above links (clicking on a link is different from entering it in the address bar, so they might react differently).

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
This clearly displays why I'm a Mac User.

In reply to: This clearly shows ...

In IE when I input http://216.239.122.220 I get a message stating it can't find the page and to try other things. It provides a link of the address to click and when I click it nothing happens but I get a message saying it can't find the page. The second option is to retype the address into the address bar and try again. So, I did that and I get the same error page.

As for typing in http://www.cnet.com, after searching for a long time I get another blank page saying it can't find it. Says something about checking the browser settings and then gives a lengthy list of things to try to remedy the problem. ie. Refresh, retype address, check network settings, check Internet Options>LAN>ISP, check to make sure we have at least 128 bit security (which we do), and in Internet Option>Security make sure SSL 2, 3, TLS 1 and PCT 1 are all clicked on. However we couldn't find PCT 1.0, whatever that is. We tried all this pages advice and still nothing.

Now for firefox:

For http://216.239.122.220 we get a timeout message. And are told to check network connection. And makesure Firefox is permitted to access the web. The firewall and proxy are both disabled, so I believe that is enough to allow Firefox to browse the net.

As for www.cnet.com we get the exact same message.

I have tried everything. And everything should be working, yet it isn't. I'm at a complete loss. My MacBook is so simpler.

By the way I can't access by clicking on the links because I can't view this page on the net on my PC. I'm writing this from my Mac.

Collapse -
Re: Internet connection fails.

In reply to: This clearly displays why I'm a Mac User.

Collapse -
WinSockFix=無理

In reply to: Re: Internet connection fails.

I used WinSockFix then tried the browsers. No go.

However, I am able to access Windows live, but it is https when I try to visit http...I can't. I'm not sure if I could do this before WinSockFix or not?

Anyways, I then tried to configure my network exactly as suggested by my ISP (without using their setup disk) and I still can't connect.

Perhaps I should take the PC back to where I had it repaired and query them as to why I may be having such difficulties? Did I not set it up correctly or something after they returned it to me with XP installed?

It's very odd. I'd love to try other possible fixes if you have any idea on what to do now, I'd LOVE to hear.

Thanks so much for helping me thus far.

Collapse -
Finally!

In reply to: WinSockFix=無理

What a pain in the but.

But, it was as simple as holding F11 at the NEC BIOS entry screen at startup and choosing to Setup as if just after installation. Once I did this (with Internet connected) I was able to connect through IE without having to change or configure anything...

So ridiculous, makes me love my Mac even more...

Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
Hmmm...

In reply to: Finally!

Went to work and left Windows Update on. Came back and it had finished the 2nd round of update and rebooted. Only now the Internet Browsers don't work again and there is a new Connection in Network which I believe to be my Mac.

How did it get there and why has Windows Update made me lose connectivity???

Collapse -
Mysterious.

In reply to: Hmmm...

I agree it might be best to return it to the shop that reinstalled Windows XP. Better ask for an English version now, and let them show Internet Explorer works before you accept and pay for the repair.

Good luck with that.

Kees

Collapse -
PCGATE Personal by NEC

In reply to: Mysterious.

I got it working again. It seems there is some buggy piece of firewall/virus software that comes with this model, it's called PCGATE by NEC. Basically it's your protection while still in SP1 and before all windows updates to SP2 and perhaps the installation of another virus protect app such as Norton.

Long story short, I believe it is PCGATE which was not allowing me to access the net through any other applications...most likely because I had erased it before Updating and was thus unable to see it's prompts and click YES everytime I opened a browser to access the net.

Now that I haven't erased it, I can see the prompts are what was blocking/denying access, I think. And now I can click YES to clear them and regain accss .... but everytime to do this is a pain in the but...so, now im fully updated with Norton too...i will try to remove PCGATE.

Collapse -
Good to read that you've found the cause.

In reply to: PCGATE Personal by NEC

And I hope you find the final solution also.

I wrote the "something is blocking". But I had the faintest idea what it was, of course. This program is new to me, and even if you had given the information that it was a NEC, I wouldn't have known.

A good job of you to find it.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.