HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

can't get on the internet with the router

by jwhiting27 / June 4, 2006 10:44 AM PDT

I just return a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router model WRT54G V.5 and got a new one because tec. support said the router was defected. Now I got a brand new Linksys router and still cant sign on. I updated the filware and downloaded their easy setup and it said the filmware was fine but couldn't get a internet connection. I'm sick of calling their tec support and getting no where. I have two computers 1:Systemax(built to order)desktop running Win. XP/ 2:Sony VAIO labtop Running Win. XP with built in wireless card. I got Westell 6100 DSL modem. We got it from Verizon and I thing thats are internet server. Both computers run perfect connected directly to the modem but can't sign on the internet when connected to the router. I need Help with this I'm not computer smart and heard this was the best place to get help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't get on the internet with the router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't get on the internet with the router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I notice that you have a modem/router
by Gakada / June 4, 2006 4:41 PM PDT

because you can connect two of your computers to the modem.. which I suspect that your modem is also a router...

If so, then You should disable the DHCP on the new router (WRT54G) OR you may configured them for using different range of IP address...

Also, you may try to connect your Modem router to the WRT54G WAN port or LAN port.

Collapse -
the modem is just a modem
by jwhiting27 / June 4, 2006 5:02 PM PDT

No the modem only has one ethernet port on it. When I said they work perfectly fine connected directly to the modem I ment one at a time. My bad sorry.

Collapse -
I figured it out!! Thanks for the help really appreciated
by jwhiting27 / June 5, 2006 8:15 AM PDT

I figured it out I kept getting a IP confution error so i changed my IP on the router then my computer(run,cmd,ipcongfig/release,ipconfig/renew. Thanks for the help though.

Collapse -
linkys wrt54g -- intermittent/no internet connection!
by teddyrodesss / July 6, 2006 11:39 AM PDT

i am actually on my FOURTH replacement router from linksys. i have spent countless hours on the phone with tech support and when i finally get to a level 2 technician they seem to conclude after much diagnostics that the router is faulty. i recently bought a linksys (yes, not smart) pci adapter when i learned that the usb adapters are much slower. the connection seemed much better but then, of course, the connection broke and, once again, i cannot get online.

i was hoping to see if others have run into this similar problem and have any recomendations for other products or solutions. my roommate just bought a mac airport router -- not sure if this is better but willing to try anything at this point to get and stay online! any thoughts...?

Collapse -
four bad routers = red flag
by linkit / July 7, 2006 1:15 AM PDT

Four "bad" WRT54G routers tells me that something else is the problem. That model with updated firmware and consistent power from the wall outlet is pretty reliable.

Tell us what firewall, antivirus, and antispyware you use and scan with regularly. Old firmware and spyware/malware are common causes of dropped connections.

How do you use the router? How is it configured? MAC filtering, WEP, WPA, WPA-2, SSID enabld, etc.? Third party firmware? How many computers and switches on your network?

Are you using any P2P file sharing or torrent programs?

Have you changed the router passwords and SSID from the defaults. (Keep your neighbors off your network.)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.