PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Can't get my Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 to POST

by JeTHC9 / June 18, 2005 1:14 PM PDT

I have an Athlon 64 3200+, 2x512 viking PC3200,and my old Radeon 9200 PCI, with a 350w PSU. I've tried everything I can think of. Minimizing the devices connected to only the CPU one stick of Ram and the keyboard. Still nothing. Can anyone tell me if there are any known compatibility issues with the nforce4 ultra chipset and my video card? Its the only thing I can think of. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Oh by the way, I am NOT getting any Beep codes.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get my Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 to POST
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get my Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 to POST
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / June 18, 2005 1:57 PM PDT

Check every connection.
ROger

Collapse -
I have tried every connection...
by JeTHC9 / June 18, 2005 3:04 PM PDT
In reply to: RE:

I have assembled and disassembled the entire system 6-7 times, and there is no change. I am positive that all connections are correct.
Justin

Collapse -
Please describe all indications
by Ray Harinec / June 18, 2005 11:19 PM PDT

as to power supply et al turning on. Can't POST is not really a complete description, nor is "nothing". Fans turning, LEDs lighted, whatever???

Are you sure that the mobo is mounted properly and there is not a hex standoff where one doesn't belong, thus shorting the mobo circuitry???

Try laying the mobo on a large piece of cardboard to be sure that it is not shorting to anything.

Collapse -
ok..
by JeTHC9 / June 19, 2005 1:31 AM PDT

Yes, all fans are turning, all LEDs are lit properly. The motherboard is mounted properly. I did try it on the cardboard box it came in. I'm positive that there is no short. The only thing that seems to be wrong is that there is no video. I really think it could be an issue with my video card (Ati Radeon 9200 PCI). But I do know that the video card works fine because I am using it right now, in a different system as I type this message. If anyone has heard of a similar problem, please let me know.

Collapse -
What about cardboard?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2005 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: ok..

Did it work or not.

Also, that 350Watt supply. Pretty slim. Maybe too slim.

Bob

Collapse -
The cardboard didn't work
by JeTHC9 / June 19, 2005 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: What about cardboard?

Also I'll think about the PSU as well. Although I think it's getting enough power.

Collapse -
Then go for BEEPS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2005 8:07 AM PDT

I remove the RAM, the video, the IDE cables and head straight for beeps. If I don't get beeps from CPU, Motherboard, PSU and a speaker, then I look for dead parts or horrible misconfigured items.

Hint: Some boards come shipped with the CMOS reset jumper in the reset position. Another boatload of boards had incorrect documentation about a reset pins. The documentation said it was a HDD LED connection but the motherboard marking was "RESET". Guess which was right?

Bob

Collapse -
Your BIOS has a setting
by Ray Harinec / June 19, 2005 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: ok..

to select look for a PCI VGA card or a PCI Express video first. The default is PCI Express. HOWEVER this should only tell the system where to look first, it should NOT rule out looking for a PCI is none is found in the PCI X16.

Possibly try one of the other PCI slots, possible IRQ conflict. Pure WAG.

Collapse -
I have thought of the BIOS setting..
by JeTHC9 / June 19, 2005 7:00 AM PDT

Being set to display the PCI-E x16 first, but like you said it should display the PCI if that is the only card there. I have also tried all 3 PCI slots. I'm guess I'm going to think about getting a PCI-Express card sooner than later. I'm really hoping that is the problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?