HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't get MSN mail in Outlook Express

by dtbutler / July 22, 2005 10:51 AM PDT

All of a sudden today I can't send mail using Outlook Express. I receive mail fine. My ISP is MSN.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get MSN mail in Outlook Express
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get MSN mail in Outlook Express
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What happens?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 22, 2005 10:39 PM PDT

Any error messages?

Mark

Collapse -
Error Message
by dtbutler / July 23, 2005 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: What happens?

Duh. Sorry I should have included that.

Message is:
The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'A_MSN_Pop', Server: 'smtp.email.msn.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10051, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Thanks.

Dolla

Collapse -
See if this link from Microsoft helps
by roddy32 / July 23, 2005 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Error Message
Collapse -
Nope, Tried It
by dtbutler / July 23, 2005 12:43 AM PDT

I tried that. My setup was like it shows but I tried copying and pasting the settings anyway just in case I missed something.

Still doesn't work. I'm over in Knowledgebase now seeing what I can find. I just wonder if they changed something. It worked Thursday.

Thanks.

;-Dolla

Collapse -
Another very GOOD possibilty
by roddy32 / July 23, 2005 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope, Tried It

is that MSN is having problems although getting them to admit that is highly unlikely.

Collapse -
That's true
by dtbutler / July 23, 2005 1:22 AM PDT

Since I don't use their software but dialup directly, I don't get any alerts. Not that they send any. It is still working on the receiving end.

;-Dolla

Collapse -
New Identity
by batonrougeenglish / July 24, 2005 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: That's true

What happened after you created a new identity?

Or tried the Web Mail?

Or tested hotmail in OE?

Collapse -
Microsoft Admitted Issues with MSN server
by dtbutler / July 24, 2005 3:24 AM PDT

I can't believe they admitted it after contacting them twice. I'm just glad it's not something I did. ;-Dolla

Here is what I received:
I understand that you are receiving Error Number: 0x800CCC0E and unable to send e-mail using Outlook Express.

Darleen, we are aware of this issue and the issue you are encountering is from MSN server end and this is not the issue at your end.

Please be assured the issue will be resolved at the earliest and our MSN Technical Engineers are working diligently to resolve the issue. I appreciate your patience in this regard.

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused.

You are valuable at MSN and we look forward to provide you with consistent and effective service.

Have a nice day.

Collapse -
Blimey!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 24, 2005 4:09 AM PDT

An honest corporation.

Thanks for reporting back Darleen, and I'm glad you've got it sorted.

Mark

Collapse -
Glad it wasn't on your end and
by roddy32 / July 24, 2005 5:55 AM PDT

I am surprised they admitted it. LOL. I have been involved in an MSN community group since 2001 and I am extremely well aware off all the problems and glitches that MSN has. We can lose the entire message boards for hours and MSN tells us that we have to delete cookies or whatever to fix the problem even though it happens to be 90 people that happen to have exactly the same problem with the message boards at exactly the same time LOL. Usually a few hours later, everything starts working again with no explanation. I hope they get it fixed for you soon Happy

Collapse -
Similar problem with Earthlink.
by esemones / July 24, 2005 6:09 AM PDT

Last week I suddenly had a similar "receive OK, send failed" mail with Outlook Express using DSL & Win98, but no problem with Yahoo Mail program. Earthlink.net tech led me thru changes in my POP and SMTP and all is fine now. I know there were no changes to the setup on my part prior to the abrupt snafu.

Collapse -
Normal Issue
by batonrougeenglish / July 24, 2005 6:56 AM PDT

That is a normal issue with all computer / internet / email companies.

There is not way to make our world 100% correct, but you can beat the odds by having 2 or 3 free email addresses to send email 24/7

Best wishes,

Gary
LsuEdu1@yahoo.com
LsuEdu@bellsouth.net
LsuEdu@msn.com

Collapse -
ME TOO====
by DeckstairsCo / December 23, 2008 12:12 AM PST

When I got thru to tech support...he said..."all you have to do is re-set your email... and gave me a direction list 50+ lines long.......
O'Bama, Oh Gr8T!!!!

I think this problem results from no email storage abilbity on your PC ? but correcting this may be even worse.

MSN..hotmail,outlook, outlook express, livemail=ET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!

Collapse -
!st: You're Posting In A 3Year Old Post...
by tobeach / December 23, 2008 2:56 PM PST
In reply to: ME TOO====

better you had started a new post via New Topic button on front page so more people would see & respond.

Despite that, this info from Last May may help clear up your problem. You need to down load & install Live mail from MSN Hotmail. Your other choice (pre-XP OS's)may be to access thru your browser NOT thru OE> Happy S

I have combined 2 posts, original & later update (S):

Post subject: FYI: O.E. Stops Supporting Hotmail on June 30th/08...

When Microsoft launched Windows Live Mail they intended it to be a replacement for both Outlook Express (Windows XP) and and Windows Mail (Windows Vista). This transition has now reached the next level, with Microsoft disabling the legacy DAV protocol on June 30, 2008.

This means that from June 30, 2008 onward you will no longer be able to access your Hotmail account(s) using Outlook Express. (Vista's Windows Mail is natively incapable of supporting Hotmail accounts.)

Windows XP 32-bit Users:
Microsoft recommends downloading Windows Live Mail, the free e-mail client designed as the successor to Outlook Express. All e-mail and contacts can be imported automatically, and both Outlook Express and Windows Live Mail can be used simultaneously if you wish.

>>>>>Windows 95/98/2000/ME/XP x64 Users:<<<<<<

Unfortunately Windows Live Mail is not supported by any operating system except for Windows XP x86 and Windows Vista.

Thus, after June 30, 2008 you will be forced to access your Hotmail e-mail accounts through the web mail interface at:

Error at Site: This post will not accept the correct url for this so please add "Http:// to the rest of the url: mail.live.com and paste into your browser to connect.

unless a third-party steps in with an alternative e-mail client that supports the new DeltaSynch protocol.

Source: http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!5D6F5A79A79B6708!5359.entry

Later:

Mon May 19, 2008 1:33 am Post subject: UPDATE: Ending Hotmail Support 4 O.E. Delayed...

Formerly announced ending of OE access on June 30th/08 delayed.

UPDATE: The changes described in a previous post have been postponed based on the concerns of current users. Microsoft still plans on disabling the DAV protocol in the future, but the new time frame has not yet been set.

http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!5D6F5A79A79B6708!5745.entry

S's Note: NOT only current users...Recently, rumors have reached my ears saying several AV programs that scan Outlook & Outlook Express incoming mail were going to disable that process & only scan "new" live mail route. This could be disastrous since most have OE set to handle their ISP mail. At least it's a reprieve!

S's Current Note: I've found that accessing thru Web browser (for me)
results in auto suggestion or demand that I upgrade my browser to IE7, Firefox3 or Opera but then lets me thru!! SadHappy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.