Question

can't get into windows XP

I'm trying to help a friend with his computer. Unfortunately I don't know much myself. When the computer is turned on it comes up with a blue screen saying enter password, but when he puts his password in it says invalid password. Either he has forgotten his password or the computer has. How can we get windows running, preferably without a password?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: can't get into windows XP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: can't get into windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Tell us more.

Do you mean the Welcome Screen?

The computer doesn't usually forget passwords unless the user's profile has become corrupted or virus infected in some way.

If either is the case then we can use our backup Admin user account to sort out the problem. Has your friend tried that yet?

Mark

- Collapse -
cc

No he hasn't tried that and nor have I because we don't know how to.

- Collapse -
bb, cc?

Sorry, don't know what they mean.

When we see members who reply with 'We don't know how', it gets very difficult to proceed. For self-repair some knowledge of computers is required, and whilst I am not wishing to be rude, it seems neither you nor your friend have this knowledge.

Your best bet is to find some reputable computer repair shop where you live, take this computer to them, and ask them to help and have a look at it.

Good luck.

Mark

- Collapse -
What Mark meant:

Login to one of his other accounts (an account with administrator capabilities) in stead of the one he normally uses. You're not telling he doesn't know how to login, do you?

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Passwords

I am a member of eight Help Forums (Moderator on one) and info on bypassing system passwords is frowned upon, and usually not provided.

If you don't have the information to access the machine you are looking at possibly formatting and reinstalling the OS.

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: blue screen

Seems more like a BIOS password than a Windows XP password. Forcefully resetting the BIOS usually helps if that's the case.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
bb

How would I do that?

- Collapse -
Re: resetting BIOS

Most motherboard have a switch or jumper to do that. See http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS
The manual that came with the motherboard should tell.

But removing both the normal power and the CPU backup battery works also. The motherboard manual shows where it's located in case you can't find it yourself (it looks like the battery in your watch).

Kees

CNET Forums