Computer Help forum

General discussion

can't get into my secured network

by blondee028 / April 6, 2011 1:35 AM PDT

Can someone please help me. I secured my network (Netgear) and for some reason it won't connect. Its saying limited no connectivity . I went on to view networks click on mine only option is to disconnect.I even tried that and still don't connect. Can I remove the secured option somewhere?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't get into my secured network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't get into my secured network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: secured network
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 1:48 AM PDT

You can change security settings in the router management pages. Just type the magic IP-address (to be found in the router manual or via a tracert command) in your browser address bar (you have to be connected wired for it to succeed).

Then type the secret router management page password. The default should be in the manual. But maybe you changed it? Then it's time to find the hidden 'reset router to factory conditions' button.

Collapse -
secured network
by blondee028 / April 6, 2011 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: secured network

see the router is connected to my desktop. I got a new desktop a while ago and just plugged in the router, it worked so I never put in the software for Netgear. I still have it its Netgear 54 mbps usb 2.0 WG121. Do you know where the rest button is? would that help?

Collapse -
by my-tech / April 6, 2011 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: secured network

Are you connecting via cable or wireless ?

Collapse -
Re: network
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: secured network

You write "The router is connected to my desktop". What do you mean with "connected"? I thought you were talking about a laptop with your problem?

You don't need any software to see that router management page. It's built into the router firmware. Just type it's IP-address (like or something like it) and you're there.

The reset button usually is hidden in some small hole, so you can't press it accidentally, but need a something like a paperclip. It would reset the router to its unprotected initial state. First thing to do then: go into the router management page and set a protection method (WPA2) and a good password. Then set that same password in your laptop to connect wirelessly.
So there really is no need to reset.

Collapse -
got it
by blondee028 / April 6, 2011 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: network

I reset the router, then I loaded the neatgear disk into the desktop . I didn't set the password or change the name so I cilcked on the software ( netgear) and it keep disappering.. I am very frustrated

Collapse -
The good and the bad news.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: got it

Good news: you now have an unsecured network, so any 'secured network' issues from your original post must have disappeared.
Bad news: you now have an unsecured network. Any of your neighbours and bypassers can use it and misuse it.

Collapse -
The manual for your router ...
by Edward ODaniel / April 6, 2011 2:35 AM PDT

steps you through both securing (WEP or WPA or other) and then steps you through using the password you supplied on the computers that connect to it.

Had you mentioned the model of the Netgear router we could have linked you to an online manual and the exact pages to view if you have misplaced your manual, but you didn't.

look up "netgear model number manual" INCLUDING the quotes (but replacing model number with the correct information) with your favorite search engine such as google or bing or yahoo

Collapse -
by blondee028 / April 6, 2011 2:50 PM PDT

my netgear model is 54 mbps wireless usb 2.0 WG121. please send info on how to secure I use it for my laptop and iphone. Thank you

Collapse -
Re: router
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 6, 2011 5:18 PM PDT
In reply to: router
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?