Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't get all of some web pages to appear- HELP

I have spent hours trying to solve this problem. Ever since installing SP2 several months ago I cannot see parts of some websites. Right now it is a big problem because I am attempting to print out a return form, but can't see the UPS label to print it (just the little red x-in-the-box). I also can't see gmail (the website - but I can log on on other's computers).

I am running Symantec Internet Security 2004. I have searched their website and Microsoft's for help. I've enabled active X and scripting (I think). I've messed with regedit (following their instructions). I tried turning off the Symantec IS (but didn't leave it off for more than a minute) and still couldn't see images.

Sometimes the problem may be related to Java. I have the latest Java download (V 1.5.0), but sometimes in the past it is told me Java is not enabled (which I've checked umpteen times and Internet Properties shows it enabled). (One somewhat wierd thing is even though I am the system administrator and am logged in as myself, I cannot access internet options through IE, only Start menu > Control Panel...).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Karen

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get all of some web pages to appear- HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get all of some web pages to appear- HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oops, and one more thing...

In reply to: Can't get all of some web pages to appear- HELP

I forgot to mention that I haven't been able to install the Symantec-Windows interface (WMI download from Symantec). I have followed all of the instructions on the Symantec website to remedy this, except perhaps to change permissions on the Symantec Shared folder...what comes up for me is slightly different, but it looks like the share permissions are pretty lax.

-Karen

Collapse -
1 answer

Get RID of Norton, IMHO it's a disaster. Then re-post with whatever problem, if it still exists.

Collapse -
It depends what you use Internet Security for, but...

You might want to think about switching to other products. I seem to remember some mention of compatability problems between certain Symantec products and SP2, which may well be what you're experiencing at the moment.

For firewall - ZoneAlarm has never caused me any problems, and is fully compatible with SP2. It's also free, although if you want more features you can buy the Pro version. This also comes with privacy control features. www.zonelabs.com

Antivirus - I got rid of Norton Antivirus a while back, since it was becoming a resource hog, and I felt the price was over the top, especially since Avast! provides the same protection, but again for free. www.avast.com

As for the anti-spam features and parental control, it depends whether you really need these features, but there are of course other products which provide them as well.

For a more immediate solution though, you could try using Mozilla Firefox, and see if you can do what you need to do on the internet with it. www.getfirefox.com

Hope this helps.
Adi

Collapse -
windows hosts file

Collapse -
Thanks!

Hey guys...thanks so much for your help! I will look into these suggestions. Last couple of days have been harried so I haven't had time, but this weekend.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Karen

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.