Windows 7 forum

Question

Can't get 2-way access to computers on workgroup network

by mitchbeck / January 31, 2012 3:58 AM PST

I am running Windows 7 on six computers. I can see all of the six and they can see mine. I have finally figured out through some internet research, how to get their computers to access mine. However, when I go from my computer to theirs, I get asked to enter a network password. All of the password protection is off. It's saying something I'm not understanding underneath the user name and password request boxes. It says Domain: and has my PC name on it. How can I get the access to go on their PC's?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get 2-way access to computers on workgroup network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get 2-way access to computers on workgroup network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
BEWARE THE NUMBER SIX?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 4:07 AM PST

If you recall, Microsoft limited the number of machines that connect to non-server versions of Windows to 5 and for a few versions 10. Most machines will not let more than 5 machines connect and I've seen this number drop to just 2 machines as some goof in counting counted 2 shares from 1 machine as "2."

So with that out of the way you have to do that SAME OLD THING AS BEFORE with accounts since no one wants to enable the GUEST ACCOUNT today (too dangerous in my opinion.)

If you forgot, here's the quick rundown.

Let's say the user account names count are seven in total. Rather than use the Seven Dwarfs I'll use A to F. Abe, Bob, Charles, Dave, Edna and Frank.

When you get on your "server" Abe, Bob, Charles, Dave, Edna and Frank must have accounts on every machine they need to access PLUS the share must give them access to said share.

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
Six?
by mitchbeck / January 31, 2012 4:15 AM PST
In reply to: BEWARE THE NUMBER SIX?

The six if you will are 5 computers and two storage drives including my computer. They all can connect to the storage drives without a problem and they can all reach my computer, (which has the primary storage drive connected to it) but when I go to get on their computers from mine, I get the request for a user name etc...

Collapse -
"when I go to get on their computers from mine, I get the
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: Six?

" when I go to get on their computers from mine, I get the request for a user name"

We covered that. Since you are using a workgroup you get to run around and create an account with YOUR USER NAME so you have an account.

I know this is not intuitive so I'll repeat it in different ways until you catch on. I also noted that GUEST account thing and why it's not a good idea as well as the share limits. Some folk need to bump into that before they believe it.
Bob

Collapse -
Didn't work
by mitchbeck / January 31, 2012 4:35 AM PST

I tried as you suggested. I went to the nearest computer that I'm trying to hook into and created the account, made it an administrator, checked the permissions and the share and they are all good and it still didn't work. When I enter the network password it doesn't accept it.

Collapse -
2 other things I've had to do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 4:38 AM PST
In reply to: Didn't work

1. Unshare and re-share the share. Very annoying behavior on the part of MSFT.

2. Firewall checks. The stock settings on most firewalls block file shares. I do not offer any help on this one as there are so many firewall vendors as well as firewalls in the routers to deal with. As a network guru, you get to cover this high and low. Sorry if that ticks someone off?
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!