Storage forum

General discussion

Can't get 2 Plextor DVD drives to work on same cable

I have a Plextor 708A DVD drive and a newly received Plextor 760A DVD drive. I cannot get the computer to recognize both on the same cable. I set the 760A as the master and the 708A as the slave. I am using Windows XP on an Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard. No matter what combination I tried, the computer would only recognize one drive and not both. Each drive worked perfectly when on the cable by itself.

Before going any further, I think I might have figured it out but wanted additional opinions. After pulling my hair out and trying almost every combination possible, with Plextors tech support,I think the problem might be my cable. I read in the 708 manual that it uses a 40 pin cable. I read in the 760A manual that it uses only an 80 pin cable. I believe I have both hooked up with a 40 pin cable (as the connectors are not blue, gray and black). Could this cause one drive to intermitently not be recognized? I say intermitent because every once in a while, the computer would recognize both drives but rarely.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't get 2 Plextor DVD drives to work on same cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't get 2 Plextor DVD drives to work on same cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try setting the jumpers to CS. . .

In reply to: Can't get 2 Plextor DVD drives to work on same cable

Cable Select. If it works, the master will be on port 0 and the slave on port 1 of the controller.

Collapse -
Does it matter

In reply to: Try setting the jumpers to CS. . .

Does it matter, with cable select, which drive is attached to the middle? Is there a preference based on performance?

I actually already tried cable select (and it didn't work) but only tried it once and may not have had the drives correctly positioned.

Collapse -
You tried CS with the 80-wire, 40-pin cable and it didn't

In reply to: Does it matter

work ?

Re CS on 80-wire, 40 pin cable....whatever drive is at the physical end of the cable is the master.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.