Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't fully install program (I have looked in the forum)

by Kiai / April 7, 2006 9:58 AM PDT

I d/loaded an installer for a game (it took about a minute) I installed it and entered my licence key. When I went to play the game my comp froze and I had to reboot, I tried again same thing happened. I then uninstalled the game via add/remove progs, did a search and deleted everything that it came up with. When I downloaded the installer again it only took a couple of seconds (if that) and when I went to play the game it didn't ask for my licence key and froze again. I've tried this a couple more times but the same thing keeps happening, obviously it's remembering that I put the licence key in so it's not asking for it. Is there anywhere else it might be where search isn't finding it? (Like if I did that regedit thing.........DOH!! Computer technical terms are not my thing as you can see.)

I have no reason to believe this has anything to do with a virus or anything cos I've had loads of games from this company and never had any problems before.

I'm running WinXP and my browser's Mozilla (if that's any help)

Thanks in advance, Kiai x

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't fully install program (I have looked in the forum)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't fully install program (I have looked in the forum)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Often the Key is Kept in a Separate Folder Often Under....
by tobeach / April 7, 2006 4:53 PM PDT

a different name from the game and its maker. I had one in a folder named after the download source site.
How did you install? Did you download, save to disk (say my docs or desktop) and then try to install from Control Panel>add/remove programs...or did you install by just double clicking on the file itself wherever you saved it? Or install "live" on net?
I had a similar problem with a game from PopCap and in end had to fix via their tech support.
Since then, I order the games on CD and wait the 3 days or so for it to arrive. That way you always have it & it's key. You get re-load permissions from site on-line with no CD but if they go out of business or even just change the Key registering site addie to different, you're lost.
If you saved to disk: Right click and scan w/ your Anti-Virus (just to be sure) and try disabling AV during actual install (while OFFLINE). In theory, it shouldn't be necessary but AV can corrupt any included drivers for the game. (Yahoo once gave away a Tennis game with a Trojan in it!)
Possibly, you have SP2 and the game PRE-dates and isn't compatible (unlikely if you're buying currently)?
Posibly you have some security program which controls system settings & is preventing part of the install? (Example Spybots Tea Timer/ Bad Download Blocker or Norton..or).
One last idea: Look in your "Event Viewer" (Start>Admin Tools>Event Viewer>applications) and see if there are error reports that connect to install attempt times, RIGHT click on number in error colum & click properties. Might give idea as to where the hang up is coming from.
I suspect you'll need sites tech support help to solve this. I did. Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
uninstalling programs
by Kiai / April 8, 2006 1:22 AM PDT

Cheers tobeach,

I've looked all over for the little blighter but can't find it. The game is from Shockwave and I bought it as a package with 2 other games; those I didn't have a problem with. I've emailed Shockwave and I'm waiting for a reply.

In the past I've played the free trials for some games to see if I like them and could only ever get the 60 mins or whatever was on offer. How is it when you uninstall the game if you don't want to buy it they always know you've had it if you try to get the game again.

I'll let you know the outcome of the reply incase it's any use to anyone else.

Thanks again, Kiai x

Collapse -
Ah, the I want to bypass the demo time limits.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: uninstalling programs

"How is it when you uninstall the game if you don't want to buy it they always know you've had it if you try to get the game again."

Just so you know, no one here will help you circumvent the demo limits or to find the keys or files that will allow you to play past the maker's time limits. That wouldn't be right since it is just like asking us to help you pilfer someone's goods.

If you continue on this path, your post may become locked.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry Bob you misunderstand
by Kiai / April 8, 2006 1:54 AM PDT

I am really sorry Bob

I genuinely have bought a game that I am having problems with. When I asked the question about how they know you've had the game it wasn't so I could bypass anything; I was just curious as to how they knew. No doubt something like this can be done but I have neither the knowledge nor the inclination to carry it out.
In all I have tried and bought 12 games from Shockwave and I'm extremely happy with them.

In all honesty I apologise again.

Yours in disgrace, Kiai Sad

Collapse -
It's fairly well known that ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 2:08 AM PDT

It's either a registry key or file. It's kept obscure for very good reason and we can't discuss much about this here due to the forum policies. No disgrace on your part at all but I wanted to warn you from tripping over the forum policies.

If the program does not install, without exact names of the game and it maker pleast all details, a cure may be never be found. I reread the discussion and the lack of information is why you may not find any useful fixes.

I'll take a wild guess that typing MICROSOFT INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY could help, but that is a stretch given so few clues.

Bob

Collapse -
Ah, leaving things on our computers
by EZRIDER714 / April 8, 2006 4:29 PM PDT

without notification.Doesn't this fit the description of MALWARE.I guess all these game makers are also guilty of distributing malware, but fly under the radar of protecting themselves.And actually get people to buy in to it.Unistall should be uninstall no exceptions.
EZ

Collapse -
After Following Continued Story, My Memory is Refreshed &..
by tobeach / April 8, 2006 4:00 PM PDT

that PopCap game I mentioned previously: That Also was a game where I had downloaded the Free Trial Version and then at expiry decided to buy the CD. The problems came when I tried to install from CD as it seemed to prevent install and tried to call up the Free Trial Versions data & online sign-up (at which point the whole thing froze). For whatever ideas the similarities to yours invoke. Grin

Collapse -
Your best solution...
by Edward ODaniel / April 8, 2006 8:27 AM PDT

for a problem installing or running an unnamed game by an unnamed publisher from an unnamed source would be the support forum or phone number or email link for the unnamed publisher of the unnamed game.

Collapse -
Thank you all.
by Kiai / April 9, 2006 3:47 AM PDT

Thanks to everyone, Grin

I'm waiting for a reply off Shockwave so should have a fix in the next couple of days.

Regards, Kiai xx

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?