TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Can't fix audio lag

by Ed8r / April 6, 2012 2:58 AM PDT

I just purchased a cNet-recommended notebook, thinking that I could use it to stream HD from Netflix. But after a couple minutes (if that long) the video starts to lag behind the audio and gets progressively worse. I have to click off the HD in order to watch the stream in sync.

The laptop is an HP Pavilion dm1z 11.6" AMD Dual-Core FUSION Processor E-350+AMD Radeon HD 6310M Discrete-Class Graphics, 3GB DDR3 RAM. The TV is a Panasonic VIERA TC-L42U30 42-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV.

I am running Chrome on Windows 7. I have a 12Mbps download speed (just slightly under that, for practical purposes).

I have Googled extensively in an attempt to find a simple answer, but so far I can't sort out the solutions to narrow down something that will work for me.

If I need to provide more information about my system, I'll also need to be told how to *find* said info, since I'm pretty much a cyber-luddite.

Thanks you all for any suggestions that might work (aside from trading in this notebook for something else).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't fix audio lag
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't fix audio lag
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You do realize it's not you?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2012 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't fix audio lag

There are too many discussions to link to here but here's one.
http://www.amazon.com/Netflix-Audio-Video-Synch-Problem/forum/Fx1PICAOFWB7B6G/Tx1J2MNNOTG7U9M/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B005CLPP84

Again, why do you think it's you or your machine? We know Netflix is straining at the gills to get thousands of devices working so a little thing like lip sync seems to move to way down the list of problems.

And again, since it did that 10 years ago. *yes, over a decade ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netflix

You begin to wonder if you should reconsider moving to hard media that you can return if they blow it.
Bob

Collapse -
But that thread is specifically about a Roku device?
by Ed8r / April 6, 2012 4:12 AM PDT

I have an old Roku and had no trouble at all watching HD, but it doesn't pick up subtitles, which I also need.

If this is such a *big* problem, and a KNOWN problem, then why don't even more people report it/ Some people must not be experiencing it, so how did they fix it?

Collapse -
Did you research this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2012 4:17 AM PDT

I offered one of what looks to be many thousands of posts. I think I didn't do a good job here of sharing how pervasive this issue is.

I see the issue on Amazon video at times and then I play it on my PC and that video looks wrong there too. This means the content has an issue. And since Netflix and all these players (devices and companies) have no system to fix this, the problem is there to be discussed.

I was hoping to save you from the wasted time trying to tweak your machine. But it appears I may have not saved you.
Bob

Collapse -
I have tried to research
by Ed8r / April 6, 2012 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you research this?

. . . note reference in OP that says "Googled extensively in an attempt to find a simple answer."

But nothing I've found seems to *explain* it knowledgeably. So I wasn't sure it wasn't just something I don't know enough about to fix.

Collapse -
The cause is pretty well known.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2012 6:15 AM PDT

The simple answer is there is a problem. I can only guess you are thinking they (Netflix, Amazon) have made something that does not have this issue and the problem is YOUR PC.

Sadly it is rarely your PC.

Again, I'm guessing here you think this technology and content is working properly. Well, it's not.

By asking if you researched this, I was thinking that you would realize this by the sheer volume of complaints.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.