Desktops forum

Resolved Question

Can't find whirring noise?

by hedgecutter / July 18, 2013 2:41 AM PDT

My PC has been making a whirring noise that I can't pin point. I have 2 hard drives (exact copies) and have removed each one at a time and whirring continues. I've halted every fan (tower, CPU, and video) temporarily and whirring continues. I thought it must be the power supply or it's fan, so I replaced it but I am still getting the whirr. I've also removed other drives (e.g. DVD & floppy) and they aren't the cause. Temperature does not seem high but I've tried external cooling anyway to no avail.

The whirring sounds like a fan going from low speed to very high speed, ~2 seconds loud, ~2 seconds quite, ever repeating (but it's obviously not a fan unless there's a hidden one somewhere). The computer makes this whirring noise about 80% of the time it's running (doing nothing or computing seems to have no affect). I don't know what other moving parts there are or what to check next. Any ideas?

hedgecutter has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't find whirring noise?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't find whirring noise?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by hedgecutter

Collapse -
PSU and possible frt. panel have fans
by Willy / July 18, 2013 5:11 AM PDT

The PSU also could have dual fans so don't discount the one you do find. Also, the frt. panel may have a buried fan located behind the frt. cover.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
As mentioned the PSU was replaced.
by hedgecutter / July 18, 2013 5:47 AM PDT

Thanks for the ideas. As mentioned, the PSU (and it's internal fan) was replaced (with a brand new PSU). There is no fan in the front cover, but I appreciate the creative thought. Any more ideas?

Collapse -
Sounds
by Willy / July 18, 2013 10:08 AM PDT

You can make it a basic or minimized system, disconnect all drives. If the sound returns, then some fan or sound source can be located by "ear". Don't discount any "resonance" like metal contact, etc.. You can test the PSU alone by jumpering the wiring, Google PSU self-test, if the noise appears then you have your source. Remember, no drives connected and only the PSU and PC case alone to power-ON should eliminate alot of stuff. Testing the PSU alone also can be done. If you can't find a source then, well you do have a mystery, maybe allow someone else to hear it. Also, be sure no wiring is banging against any fans.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Maybe not a fan at all.
by mopscare42 / July 20, 2013 7:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds

The high then low thing rings a bell.
I have a Alienware R4 and had somewhat that same noise.
The tech came and could not find a thing, but he had the side panel and locking latch off when he was testing.
After a couple months of that I started pushing things on the outside of the case to see if I could get any change in the noise... once I pulled up the case locking bracket halfway in the back the noise stopped. All along I thought for sure it was a fan.
I made a little cardboard shim and stuck it between the two metal parts. No more noise.
This may not be your problem, but you can never tell on these things.

Collapse -
Issue Resolved
by hedgecutter / July 25, 2013 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Sounds

It's a little embarrassing, but it turned out to be a fan after all. Willy's recommendation of looking for a front fan turned out to be the issue. I had actually looked there in the past and saw nothing, but there in fact was a fan up there that I'd missed (thanks Willy, and sorry I responded too quickly with there is no front fan). It seems hard to miss a fan, but it's hidden very well. Anyway, I would not have found it if not for posting and getting great ideas. Thanks all.

Collapse -
(NT) Good to know, heck it happens to everyone
by Willy / July 26, 2013 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Issue Resolved
Collapse -
Answer
(NT) What about the one in the PSU?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 2:46 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!