Question

Can't find svchostw.exe ERROR MESSAGE

Ive tried many things. The reset browser option does not work. The idea of loading six or seven supposed anti-virus programs is just nuts. Many on Majorgeeks are virus's themselves. I think this a leftover from a spoof that I removed.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Can't find svchostw.exe ERROR MESSAGE
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can't find svchostw.exe ERROR MESSAGE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Questions.

1. What's your OS (Windows XP, Vista, 7)?
2. When does this message appear?
3. What's the relationship with your browser?
4. What browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome)? What version?

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
And that's a good thing!
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/svchostw.exe-24686.html

Once we remove this trojan you should see error message such as "can't find svchostw.exe" which is a very good sign.

What next? Scanning with dozens of scanners will not correct this. However you could look for what is calling for this trojan and remove that line.
Bob
- Collapse -
Answer
To further what Bob wrote..

Chuck..

As Bob noted, it's "a good thing". "Cannot find..", "Error loading..", "Could not run..", and like errors are usually related to "malware", which was previously removed. Since the file no longer exists, Windows "cannot find" it.

Autoruns for Windows may help you locate the related entry, responsible for the error. If you have any questions about Autoruns, see "FAQ: Common Autoruns Issues".

Carol

- Collapse -
My new question.

Is AUTORUNS the new way? For years I used HIJACKTHIS and have looked at AUTORUNS but have stuck with old reliable.
Bob

- Collapse -
HJT is the easier and most reliable way to go AFAIC.....

I only added it, in case the OP was unfamiliar (or intimidated by) with HJT.

Carol

- Collapse -
A painter and their brushes.

I think that tells it well.
Thanks Carol,
Bob

CNET Forums