Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

can't find network printer on vista pc using 98 pc, can w/XP

by Bubbator / March 22, 2007 1:25 PM PDT

Hi,
I have 4 pc's: 2 win 98's, 1 winXP, and a new win Vista.
One of the 98 computers had the printer (hp deskjet series 5550).
I took the printer off that pentium II win 98 box (pc due to retire) and installed the printer
directly connected to the new Vista box. That went well. (enough). I added the printer as a network printer to the win XP machine, and printed a test page. Wow, that went well!
I tried to "add printer" on the pentium 4 win 98 box. :.-< "Browse for network printer" will not find the printer connected to the Vista box. I can't guess a path to the printer that works from the 98 box.

In XP shared printer is ok, in 98 "add printer" can't find shared printer, printer works well locally in Vista.

How do I use Vista printer from Win 98 computer?

Thanks!
B

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't find network printer on vista pc using 98 pc, can w/XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't find network printer on vista pc using 98 pc, can w/XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Need to add "Additional Drivers" for specified OS
by Scottwang / March 26, 2007 12:26 AM PDT

Hey,
What needs to happen: Go into Properties of your Printer on Vista and under the Sharing tab click on "Additional Drivers" and check Win 98, this should do the trick. It might want the drivers disk to do this, if you dont have a disk, google for win98 drivers.

This is the process to add drivers to an XP box, the Vista process might be a little different, but similar, look around for similar settings or titles to the ones I mentioned.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Bubbator / March 26, 2007 8:24 AM PDT

Whoa! That makes sense! I will give it a try.
B

Collapse -
d'oh
by Bubbator / March 26, 2007 8:56 AM PDT

In fact, it turns out that I added XP that way. In Vista when I go to add drivers I get to choose by *processor*, not OS. That's why I did not remember doing this.
The choices are: Itanium, x64, x86.
I'm beginning to feel non-supported by Vista!
Still, I oughtta be able to *find* the shared printer. I'm gonna go look for it again.
Thanks Scottwang!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.