Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't find MSCONFIG file

Trying to use msconfig to edit start menue and told file can not be found ??
I assume this has alterd due to downloads,use of reg.ceaner,temp file delete or similar activity.
How can I get this back ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't find MSCONFIG file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't find MSCONFIG file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How are you trying to access this utility?

In reply to: Can't find MSCONFIG file

People often look for it in Start > All Programs, etc, thinking it is a listed program.

Questions:

What is your method for starting msconfig? When you go to run and type msconfig and click OK, does anything happen ?

When you go to search and type msconfig do you get any results?

Do you have admin rights on this pc?

In folder options do you have show hidden folders enabled?

This is often caused by virus or spyware damage. What do you use to protect yourself against these infections?

If your msconfig file is really missing, try sfc /scannow, put your XP cd in the drive, start>run then type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and the /)

This will correct corrupt and missing system files

Mark

Collapse -
Cant find MSCONFIG file

Mark thanks for reply ! Entered into Run as usual,advised cant find file ! XP search returns around 8 files. how do I use them?
I am the sole user of the PC !

In the meantime I will look for the XP CD and follow your advice.

Collapse -
Re: Cant find MSCONFIG file

In reply to: Cant find MSCONFIG file

novicerover, Here's an alternative method to restore your msconfig.exe file. Go to the link below and download the msconfig.exe Windows XP version and place it in your C:\Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries folder which is where a copy belongs for Windows XP.

http://www.techadvice.com/win2000/m/msconfig_w2k.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Can't find MSCONFIG file

In reply to: Re: Cant find MSCONFIG file

Tufenut. Thanks ! file downloaded and alteration made to start menue.
I have downloaded the file to my Tech file in documents to save. How do I do the download to the bineries folder ?

Collapse -
Re: Can't find MSCONFIG file

novicerover, Just right click that msconfig.exe file you downloaded and choose "Copy", Now go into Windows Explorer, and open the C:\Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries folder and in the right pane right click an empty area and choose "Paste". This will place a copy where it belongs.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Can't find msconfig file

In reply to: Re: Can't find MSCONFIG file

Tufenuf
Sorry to be a pain! How do I access C/Windows etc file when I go into explorer ( W Exp. Version 7 in use ) IE Tools/File ???

Paste op understood

Collapse -
Here's instructions

In reply to: Can't find msconfig file

novicerover, You don't do it that way. That is Internet Explorer NOT Windows Explorer. Go to Start>Programs>Accrssories then click on Windows Explorer when it opens in the left pane click the + in front of My Computer, click the + in front of Local Disk (C:), click the + in front of Windows, click the + in front of PCHealth, click the + in front of HelpCtr, then double click the Binaries folder to open it. Now in the right side pane is where you would paste the msconfig.exe file then close Windows Explorer.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Can't find MSCONFIG file

In reply to: Here's instructions

Tufenuf,
Followed through to binaries file, to find icon already there,with what looks like a quill pen!
Still carried on and pasted the file ,disapointedly when I trisd again and entered msconfig into run,still can't find file ??

John

Collapse -
Like I said

this damage is often caused by virus/spyware damage.

Tell us what you use to combat such attacks.

Mark

Collapse -
Cant find MSCONFIG file

In reply to: Like I said

Present Ani Virus is Avast! for the last year ! Windows firewall and Privacy Gaurdian installed after the problem. Aquatica 3 Screen Saver also since.

Alume Boost XP. System Mechanic and Launchy available

Collapse -
Cant find MSCONFIG file

Clarification !!!!

Firewall has always been used,and in the sentance misleads !!

Collapse -
Does that mean that the scans found no viruses/spyware?

Collapse -
Start menu is located in you Document and setting.

What do you want to do in the Start menu?

If you want to change what is in you Start menu, just go to Documents and setting folder, look for you profile and the look for Start menu folder.

Collapse -
Can't ffind MSCONFIG file

In reply to: Start menu is located in you Document and setting.

To update latest position and Ack.help given.!!! The intention was to get config back as default. I have now downloaded the file msconfig to desktop for ready access !

Also down loaded WinPatrol which is ideal to analyse,add or remove items from start menu etc etc.

I still have the recovery CDs that came with the PC so sometime in the future I will put it back to original delivery settings when I transfer all my data to my new PC.

Great forum and great people !!! Thanks again guys .

Collapse -
Good luck

In reply to: Can't ffind MSCONFIG file

I'm sorry we couldn't fix your original problem, but it seems you've got a workaround.

Thanks for posting back, and good luck.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.