Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Can't find Kerio in...

by tomron / March 2, 2006 5:00 AM PST

add/remove,and do not see a uninstall option in programs.
OS 2K

Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't find Kerio in...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't find Kerio in...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm going to try that one again -- I just posted
by zeebell / March 2, 2006 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: Can't find Kerio in...

here in your thread and it made my post a single post outside of this thread.

In the Add/Remove -- look and see if it shows Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall.

That's what mine shows.

Hope this helps.

Julea

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanx,but not there
by tomron / March 2, 2006 5:25 AM PST
Collapse -
I'll delete this extra thread Julea, these
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 5:42 AM PST

forums glitches are a real PITA for everybody. I wish CNET could figure out how to fix them.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Me 2 - past couple of weeks have been something else!
by zeebell / March 2, 2006 7:49 AM PST
Collapse -
I have found one thing though Julea
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 8:31 AM PST

once you submit a post, even if you get a "page not found" OR the post disappears, eventually it WILL show back up so posting again WILL create a double eventually so I would just post once so we don't have to delete the double. It's gotten bad enough where I stopped posting news and the virus alerts will be next. I WILL keep posting the updates though as long as I am able. Supposedly they ARE working on this LOL.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I feel for you -- it's got to be a royal PITA.
by zeebell / March 2, 2006 2:21 PM PST
Collapse -
Tom.. I don't use it but..
by Carol~ Moderator / March 2, 2006 5:47 AM PST
Collapse -
Curcat
by tomron / March 2, 2006 6:01 AM PST

I already tried kerio for info on removing before posting,but to no avail.

I tried the castle cop link,but to no avail.

It is odd that it is not in add/remove or an uninstall option

Tom

Collapse -
Tom, I would try installing again...
by glenn30 / March 2, 2006 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: Curcat

Right over the top of the present one. Do at your own risk though! Grin

Glenn

Collapse -
Glenn
by tomron / March 2, 2006 6:16 AM PST

I found this,but was hoping as a last resort,what do you think

This should only be done if removing Kerio Personal Firewall through Add/Remove Programs is not possible.

1. click on the Start button and go to Search and then Files and Folders.
2. Search for fwdrv.sys and fwdrv.vxd
3. Delete both files if you find them.
4. Delete the Kerio\\PersonalFirewall4 folder. Typically this folder is found here: C:\\Program Files.
5. Click on the Start button and go to Run.
6. Type "regedit" without the quotation marks and click OK. This will launch Window's registry editor.
7. Navigate to this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Kerio\\Personal Firewall 4.
8. Delete this key.
9. If you are using Windows 98/ME then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CURRENTCONTROLSET\\SERVICES\\VXD\\FWDRV.
10. Delete this key.
11. If you are using Windows 2000/XP then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CURRENTCONTROLSET001\\SERVICES\\FWDRV.
12. Delete this key.
13. Those are the only components you will need to remove.

Tom

Collapse -
Tom
by glenn30 / March 2, 2006 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: Glenn

Sounds ok if this is coming from an authorative source... little complicated for me but may be better than my suggestion. I am unfamiliar with nor have I ever used Kerio... so your judgement is as good as mine.

Good luck!

Glenn

Collapse -
Tom, this may sound like a stupid suggestion
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 7:10 AM PST
In reply to: Glenn

but try going through add/remove programs again and look EVERYWHERE, particularly in the "K"'s for Kerio which is where I assume that you are looking but also look under "P" for "Personal Firewall" and "S" for "Sunbelt". I would think that it HAS to be there somewhere unless something got deleted by mistake.

Sorry if somebody already suggested this, I didn't take the time to read all the threads.

Collapse -
Roddy
by tomron / March 2, 2006 7:24 AM PST

I looked many,many times

No where to be found

It does say foget about it,Kerio not here LOL

Tom

Collapse -
I'm laughing on this one -- and shouldn't.
by zeebell / March 2, 2006 7:54 AM PST
In reply to: Roddy

I recently installed Kerio and am very pleased with it; but you can bet that I've printed off the thread of how to uninstall should the need ever arise -- just in case it disappears from my add/remove list.

Good luck Tom.

Julea

Collapse -
That is strange Tom, Maybe is it
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: Roddy

some kind of quirk with W2K. I have never used that. I went from W95 on one computer to W98SE on my next and XP on this one which will hopefully last long enough for Vista to be a stable release for me next one LOL.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ok,then lets discuss this page not found issue LOL
by tomron / March 2, 2006 8:45 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Can't do that Tom, your post is missing. :)
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 9:31 AM PST
Collapse -
Tom.. There are reasons ....
by Carol~ Moderator / March 2, 2006 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: Curcat

for entries to be missing in Add/Remove, frow what I've been reading. It has all to do with how Add/Remove functions, or doesn't, and nothing to do with Kerio itself. I believe you'd have to go hunting around in the registry to discern the difference. I gather this is not an option.

You say you are 100% sure it is not there. I'm presuming you've also looked at the very bottom of the list too. If it's not a glitch with Window's, my guess is it was never there in the first place, or you inadvertently removed it.

I believe someone suggested reinstalling it, and then ''uninstalling''. Have you tried that? (I'd like to read through this thread again to see who said what, but I'm afraid all I'll wind up seeing is..''Page not found''. Wink So forgive me, if I've made a ''duplicate'' suggestion.)

If you're not going to manually uninstall it, or try to re-install then un-install, I don't know how many options you have left. There very well may be many more, but since I'm not an ''all knowing'' computer wiz, you won't find those options coming from me. GrinSad

Good luck with it..
Carol

Collapse -
Btw.. link is for ''XP'' and not 2k. But then again...
by Carol~ Moderator / March 2, 2006 10:10 AM PST

''I Never Promised you a Rose Garden''. I only said there were reason's for these things. Wink (It may be a similar situation for your OS .. again saying.. ''I don't know'')

Collapse -
Heres the story so far
by tomron / March 2, 2006 12:49 PM PST

I deleted the registry entries,files,and folders

It seems to be gone,no more icon in task bar

But,everytime i boot up i get this

"KFE initialization failed: Driver not found".

how do i get rid of this

tom

Collapse -
Update
by tomron / March 2, 2006 1:46 PM PST
In reply to: Heres the story so far

I reinstalled kerio,then it was in add/remove (I know it was there once before)That seemed to do the trick.

I appreciate everyones input

Thanx,
Tom

Collapse -
Let me be the first to congratulate you...
by Carol~ Moderator / March 2, 2006 3:06 PM PST
In reply to: Update
Contratulations!! I knew you'd do it sooner or later. Better sooner.. than later. Good news, Tom.

Carol
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yeah -- I really think you'll like Kerio -- I sure do.
by zeebell / March 2, 2006 10:56 PM PST
In reply to: Update
Collapse -
Tom
by Alan Copeland / March 2, 2006 10:35 PM PST

I must have missed something; why did you want to uninstall Kerio in the first place?

Collapse -
Alan
by tomron / March 3, 2006 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: Tom

To put it simply,not happy with it.

The icon in the task bar would be there,then not there on next boot up,I don't have a lot of experience with computers.I was not raised with computers,this is a new world to me,even these forums.I started using computers about 1 1/2 years ago and never knew these forums even excisted.I find computers quite exasperating.

So if something keeps bothering me it has to go LOL

Tom

Collapse -
I understand that
by Alan Copeland / March 3, 2006 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: Alan

I hope ZA de-bugged their latest version. I had used it happily for over 5 years when they started playing games with it.

I have been happy with Kerio to date (only a few weeks under my belt) but that's why they make Ford and Chevy. Good luck with it.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanx,Alan
by tomron / March 3, 2006 3:06 AM PST
In reply to: I understand that
Collapse -
Keep up the good work
by zeebell / March 3, 2006 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: Alan

Hi Tom -- I smiled when reading your post about being exasperated and being new to computers.

I was right where you are about 5 years ago. Thanks to cnet, I learned how to use my PC and to keep it spot free (thus far anyway).

When working, I did desktop publishing and word processing; however, after quitting when hubby retired, I wanted to know what makes the computer tick and why it did what it did when.

I started coming to this forum and read lots before ever asking any questions. Thanks to the moderators and members here, I got where I am today. I find now there is no dumb question -- what's dumb is when the question is not asked. Now I'm involved in helping teach computer classes for our local computer club and helping friends and club members keep their PC's up to snuff.

Keep at it, you'll like it.

Julea

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?