Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can't find document

by candyanne / June 4, 2006 5:43 AM PDT

I'm a mess. I've got Windows XP, and somewhere along the line I lost my resume I typed up in word perfect. I found it by sheer happenstance about a month ago in something called auto recovery (?), but lost it again.
Any help would be much appreciated....
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't find document
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't find document
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not going to make you feel better, but
by chuckieu / June 4, 2006 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't find document

anything that important should be recorded on a hard copy somewhere. My forms (Letter heads, resumes, business cards I designed, etc) are on a floppy. Everything else
(emails, downloaded programs, etc) go on various CDs or DVDs. Burners are $50 or less for multiformat, double layer units. Hopefully someone can help you recover the lost document. chuck

Collapse -
Re: document lost
by Kees Bakker / June 4, 2006 6:35 AM PDT

I agree with Chuck on the necessity of socalled BACKUP (=keep a copy elsewhere).

If Search in Windows Explorer doesn't find it, it's probably gone forever. Use wildcards, like *.wpd and resume.* (assuming you called it the document resume.wpd).

Good luck,

Kees

Collapse -
Do you remember the file name...
by Edward ODaniel / June 4, 2006 6:37 AM PDT

that you saved the document as? If so make use of XP's search facility to locate it.

WordPerfect keeps a list of recently opened documents (open WordPerfect then click the File menu and the recent documents should show near the bottom of the menu).

The "My Documents" folder is the default location for such things--have you looked there?

In the Start menu there is a selection named "Documents". It contains a list of recent documents you have worked on.

Last but not least by any means you can open a Command Prompt (click Start then Run then type in CMD.EXE to open a command prompt) and make use of the DIR command to locate all WordPerfect files by using the commands:
cd / (this shifts to the root directory)
DIR *.wp? /s (this recursively searches the root and all subdirectories for WordPerfect files -- you could also do this with the "Find files of Folders" applet but the command line performs better)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.