Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Can't find bios

by Wrong_Number / April 21, 2012 2:31 PM PDT

I'm trying to boot up a cd with ubuntu and I cant access bios on my computer. Instead i'm taken to windows boot manager and asked to select either windows 7, or some memory diagnostic tool.

System Info:
HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
BIOS Version: Hewlett-Packard F.1B, 10/5/2011

Wrong_Number has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't find bios
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't find bios
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Wrong_Number

Collapse -
Lucky you. I just so happen to have a dv6-1361sb here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2012 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't find bios

Let me try it.

After I turned on the power and a split second after I saw the text "Press Esc" I pressed down the F9 key and did not let go. I see "Boot Manager" on the screen.

While the boot screen did tell me to press Esc, it didn't seem to work! I tried again and the timing is very unforgiving but these keys did work.

Bob

Collapse -
Which key worked for you specifically?
by Wrong_Number / April 23, 2012 11:31 AM PDT

I just want to be sure I replicate those results.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2012 11:36 AM PDT

But I did write which keys I used. I know Esc and F9 is not English but when it comes to PCs, it's their language.
Bob

Collapse -
I tried it and it works
by Wrong_Number / April 23, 2012 3:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Funny no matter how many times I pressed escape to get into bios before I could never get into it. But after your suggestion of the timing I was able to. Thanks.

Collapse -
Good to read. And sheer luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2012 4:04 PM PDT

I was checking out some old work on the "pickled" laptop. What's that?

In our office we work on a project and when it's over the laptop and backups are put away if we think we'll be working that project again. This way we never have to recreate the system that made that app.

It's very cheap compared to the alternatives.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
F10?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 21, 2012 10:21 PM PDT

It seems you need to press F10 before Windows begins to load, (which also means before the boot manager loads).

When you turn on the system do you see POST messages, (Power On, Self Test)? Or do you see an HP splash screen/logo?

If you see POST messages look for the key needed to "Enter Setup" or similar. If you see the splash screen there should still be a me4ssage telling you how to enter Setup or enter the BIOS.

But anyway, try F10.

Mark

Collapse -
HP boot menu
by TWB404 / April 22, 2012 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: F10?

You can also try the ESC key. The best way is when you turn on the puter start tapping the F10 or ESC key.

Collapse -
I checked on my HP
by TWB404 / April 22, 2012 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: F10?

ESC = BIOS Menu

F1 = System Info

F2 = System Diagnostic

F9 = Boot Device options

F10 = BIOS Setup

F11 = System recovery

Collapse -
I tried hotkeys wont take me to bios
by Wrong_Number / April 23, 2012 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: I checked on my HP

Tried esc, f10, f9,f1 they all take me to windows boot manager which only sees windows 7.

Collapse -
If that is the case
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 23, 2012 9:21 PM PDT

then there are serious problems.

But make sure you are doing this right. As soon as you turn the system on, and when anything displays on the screen, (the very first thing that displays), start tapping the F10 key gently, once a second.

If you miss it the BIOS POST finishes and moves on to trying to boot up Windows.

Mark

Collapse -
I see you've solved it.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 23, 2012 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: If that is the case

Good work and I hope you can now do what you want.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
It appears...
by Willy / April 21, 2012 11:23 PM PDT

Visit the HP support website for your model# HP product. Review or find the process to access the bios that's required. Then, I "assume" you edit the bios in order to be sure the 1st boot device is the CD/DVD drive. Then save upon exiting the bios. Since this is a laptop it should also have a boot option during initial boot display if a key is depressed, to provide a boot menu, again the support website offers details. Since, you seemed to have tried booting the Ubuntu loaded disc and it got to a windows menu, suggest that either the made Unbuntu disc is not done right or not fully finished. Provided you have burned the Ubuntu disc as a "live version" from the .ISO file for that purpose, please recheck your work. You can use that Ubuntu disc in another PC that boots from CD/DVD drive and it should work, if not then you know of a fault. Restart the process again once a true bootable disc is made.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Once again, HP makes its own Bioses for their own choice of
by LucJPatenaude / April 22, 2012 3:00 AM PDT

O.S. In this case, Windows 7 Home Premium Edition(x64 or x86). Pre-configured for that specific O.S. and, will not accept a dual boot environment or, even, a possibility of substituting Windows with Ubuntu or Linux Operating Systems.

Reason: Ubuntu and Linux are not fully recognized across the globe but, Windows is. HP thinks thoroughly, just like, that. Product not internationally sellable, no can do. But, by preinstalling Windows, it does. OK then, Windows only.

Especially on a portable unit such as a Notebook PC. No personal customization, sorry.
Plain

Collapse -
Not sure what your talking about
by TWB404 / April 22, 2012 3:15 AM PDT

I have dual booted many flavors of Linux on HP systems. Is this what they call FUD?

Collapse -
You have never heard of
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 22, 2012 4:29 AM PDT

a Linux Live CD?

That is what the OP is trying to do.

And of course, Linux will dual boot with Windows without any problem, but as I said, that is not the issue here.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) Never bothered to nor do I need to, ever.
by LucJPatenaude / April 22, 2012 5:40 PM PDT
Collapse -
In that case
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 22, 2012 8:58 PM PDT

you accept that your advice is wrong?

Mark

Collapse -
My advice will be right forever and ever, amen.
by LucJPatenaude / April 23, 2012 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: In that case

And, that will go for Billions of people worldwide.

Ubuntu and Linux are Operating Systems for the ones whom can not troubleshoot themselves on Windows and uses these for a totally lame reason to blame Microsoft on all fronts of development of their most popular O.S. of all time.
Wink

Collapse -
Here's the problem
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 23, 2012 5:10 AM PDT

While anyone is free to comment and help the posters in these forums, and help is always welcome, passing on incorrect and/or misleading information not only confuses those we help, but may also, in extreme cases, be very damaging to a system.

Of course I am not saying that your post here http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6122_102-5301983.html is anything other than misleading, but when you say, "My advice will be right forever and ever, amen. - And, that will go for Billions of people worldwide". I find that very worrying, and I have to wonder to myself, are you posting in these forums to deliberately confuse the members here.

I trust you are not.

Mark

Collapse -
I don't know where you are getting at here but,
by LucJPatenaude / April 23, 2012 11:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's the problem

for the past weeks and even months, you have been very confusing to both the topic starter and myself.

To the point of having to ignore all of the moderators and, make a thorough research of that person's problem way before posting anything at all. I find that, very disturbing, to see extremely experienced people like yourself, Mark, posting the most idiotic non-sense like quick-fixes that will never solve any problems permanently, ever. I even read that, you will even go out-of-your-way to make a research on what-ever type of quick-fix that I, myself, would never do to my own computer system.

BTW: I do own and use an HP Pavilion desktop PC as I write this very post. I really do know of all the frustrations that I, myself, have to deal with every day.
Plain

Collapse -
Re: frustations
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 23, 2012 11:41 PM PDT

If your frustrations are caused by using Windows (you didn't tell, alas), consider switching to Linux. Works fine.

And please do not accuse a mod of writing "the most idiotic non-sense". Even if he does, it's too easy for anohter one to see it as a reason for deleting a post. And you wouldn't want that, would you?

Kees

Collapse -
Here's a hint: I am 44 years of age and, do not like to
by LucJPatenaude / April 24, 2012 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: frustations

waste my time on the internet several hours a day.

Deleting posts will not bother me much, since I might not remember them.

Blocking me from posting, keeps me away from such forums.

Banning me is absolutely pointless and, I get to remove the bookmark to such web address + uninstall all apps. attributed to it(services given by these are, most of the time, totally useless). Get to enjoy all the extra time retaken by doing anything else I get to come up.

Controlling me is, basically impossible and, punishment is futile.

Developed a strong sense of immunity to threats coming from authority using freaks.

Say, any more posts intended to intimidate me? Yes or No will not matter. You may go on your own way, now.
Wink

Collapse -
Answer
BIOS option
by sazol_99 / January 30, 2016 10:55 PM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!