Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Can't execute 'Internet shortcuts' from the desktop.

by dand / June 22, 2011 7:58 AM PDT

I'm running Windows XP (SP2 fully updated), runs great w/ no problems.
But recently, something has changed on the system and I cannot now execute Internet type shortcuts from the desktop. All other shortcuts from the desktop(ie. to Word text documents, Windows folders etc) work fine.
PROBLEM EXAMPLE: Normally, when you're viewing a web page you can right click anywhere on that page, and from the context menu choose 'create shortcut' and a dialog box will let you place a short cut to that internet web page right on the desktop, --and when you double click it, it will then take you directly to that page in the Internet, etc etc. But now, when I double click it I instead get a Windows message box with a red circled X that says " THIS FILE DOES NOT HAVE A PROGRAM ASSOCIATED WITH IT FOR PERFORMING THIS ACTION. CREATE AN ASSOCIATION IN THE FOLDER OPTIONS CONTROL PANEL." And I'm not sure what this means or how to go about correcting it.
For information purposes, another (and maybe closely related)issue is that many of the MS Word text documents that I have contain 'Hyperlinks'(that refer to internet web pages), which if you hold down the Control key and click on them, will then take you directly to those pages on the internet, etc etc. But now, when I click on them I instead get a windows message box ,with a red circled X, that says "THIS OPERATION HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO RESTRICTIONS IN EFFECT ON THIS COMPUTER. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR." And again, I'm not sure what happened in the system or how to 'correct' it.
I use the term'correct', because (and I'm not at all sure of this),it could have happened when I recently took my computer into the shop to have an 2nd Gig of RAM installed, and while it was there they decided to give me a free 'tune up' just to make the sure the computer was in tip-top shape, and all. It apparently didn't really need a tune-up though because they remarked that they don't see computers that are that 'clean'. --And I do keep it purged and really squeaky clean. But anyway I don't really know what they might have done during the 'tune up' thing.
So I would really appreciate it if anyone out there on the forum may have experienced these Internet Shortcut and/or file-association issues and could help me with some advice and direction here.
Thanks again,
Dan D. in NJ

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't execute 'Internet shortcuts' from the desktop.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't execute 'Internet shortcuts' from the desktop.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Have You Tried This?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 22, 2011 9:17 AM PDT

Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column). RIGHT click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP", choose "Save Target As " or "Save Link As", to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it or right click it and choose "merge" and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Or, if that doesn't work?

Click on the link below, then look to the "EXE File Association Fix", and download the .zip file to your computer desktop.. ONce there, unzip the file, then double click on the "xp_exe_fix.reg" file that is inside, choose "OK/Yes, when it asks "Are you sure?".. Restart the computer.. It should now run those problem programs and Control Panel icons.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Can't execute 'Internet Shortcuts' from the desktop by dand
by dand / June 26, 2011 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Have You Tried This?

To Grif Thomas:
Thanks for your advice re. my "internet shortcuts from the desktop" and "Hyperlinks failure" issues.
The 'doug knox File-Associations' registry fix site is a great resource.(The "HTM/HTML" entry there fixed my Hyperlink failure problem.
However, I tried your suggested '#12 item on the "kellys-korner" website', along with several other entries on the 'doug knox File Associations' website (including the "URL" entry, --which I thought might certainly do it), but so far nothing seems to be able to fix the 'Can't execute Internet Shortcuts from the desktop' problem. To me, the fact that placing website shortcuts in both AOL Favorites and/or IE Favorites works excellently, appears quite strange that placing a website on the desktop simply doesn't work anymore ? Can't Imagine why this might be happening.
Thanks again for your help so far, and would really appreciate any additional suggestions you , or anyone out there on the Forum, could offer here.
Dan D. in NJ

Collapse -
Tried This One...?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 27, 2011 7:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
Can't execute 'Internal Shortcuts' from the desktop by dand
by dand / June 27, 2011 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried This One...?

Grif:
You may have missed it, but in the last part of my previous reply I had mentioned that I had actually tried that "URL" entry (along with several others), from your recommended 'dougknox.com' link ---and none of them seems to help with this strange 'Internet Shortcut from the desktop' problem.
(I tried it now once again, just to be sure. But still, no help.) And I find it very strange that website shortcuts placed in both AOL Favorites and/or IE Favorites work fine, --but will NOT now work on the Desktop anymore.
And I really do appreciate all your help and assistence here, --anything else you can think of to try?
Dan D. in NJ

Collapse -
Just One More Thought
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 27, 2011 12:44 PM PDT

Open the Control Panel, then double click on the "Display" icon.. Once that opens, click on the "Desktop" tab, then the "Customize Desktop" button, then the "Web" tab, then UNCHECK the box next to "Lock desktop items" (if it's checked). Now look to the upper "Web Pages" section and UNCHECK the "My Current Home Page" item and remove all other listings that might be there..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Can't execute 'Internet Shortcuts' from the desktop by dand
by dand / June 30, 2011 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Just One More Thought

Grif:
The 'boxes' in the display-properties area that you suggested I Uncheck, were in fact allready Unchecked on my system. So no help to be found there.
Unless you can think of any other 'longshots', I guess I will have to live with this shotrcoming in my system.
It's not catastrophic of course, and I'm sure I can work around it for whatever life-span remains on my XP system.
Thanks much for your efforts on this issue (and of course we did fix the 'Hyperlink' problem).
Dan D. in NJ

Collapse -
Can't execute 'Internet shortcuts'
by phreddphredd / July 27, 2013 10:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Have You Tried This?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!