Question

Can't drive @560x1600 Monitor on QX410 Notebook

have a new QX410-J01 Sammy Notebook, which I like a lot -- wonderfully snappy, great display, cool touchpad, very satisfying...

...until I try to docking it to my HP ZR30W Monitor! One of this reasons I selected this was the 310m nVidia GPU, which SHOULD be able to do 2560x1600 graphics. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to make that happen. Mac res. that I'm allowed to use is a pathetic 1280x800; not even HD. I've tried every display setting that Windows offers. No joy. Worse, when I load the nVidia console, I don't even have a "display" option on the tree -- just 3D options and video. The 310m seems to be turned off, and I can't see any way to turn it back on.

Any suggestions? THNKS!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Can't drive @560x1600 Monitor on QX410 Notebook
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Can't drive @560x1600 Monitor on QX410 Notebook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you install HP's monitor driver?

Noted at:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=382087&prodSeriesId=4194577&prodNameId=4194578&swEnvOID=228&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=vc-82781-1

"This package contains the HP Display Installer program, which automatically detects the Microsoft Operating System that is running on your computer and installs the corresponding .INF and .ICM driver files that are used to configure the 76,2-cm (30-inch) widescreen HP ZR30w LCD Monitor.The setup information, or .INF file, defines monitor resources used by Microsoft Operating Systems in order to ensure monitor compatibility with the graphics card installed in your computer"

Hope this helps,
Bob

- Collapse -
Did you install HP's monitor driver?

arthurpjohnson,

- Collapse -
Thanks, I am now -- still have problem. :(

I wasn't, but now I am! Didn't solve my problem, but thanks for finding it. Best Arthur

(Samsung QX410-J01, running Windows 7 Home Premium)

- Collapse -
Answer
Can't drive @560x1600 Monitor on QX410 Notebook -

arthurpjohnson,

- Collapse -
Answer
Good idea, but

My laptop takes an HDMI, so I finally found a pretty decent looking StarTech DisplayPort to HDMI. I'll see if that works any better than my Dual-Link DVI with a Dual-Link DVI-to-HDMI converter attached.

Maybe I should ask nVidia. The Monitor works Hand-in -Glove with my desktop (sporting a GTX260) and my MacBook Air II" (with Griffin miniDisplayport to DVIU adaptor and nVidia 320m).

The anoying thing about the nVidia driver on my Samsung is that IT DOESN'T HAVE a display res. option! It's like Samsung doesn't want me to use it.

- Collapse -
Answer
Only display

I'm trying to configure it as my only display. I'm sending my disktop in for an upgrade and wanted to dock my laptop to the HP Monitor while it's gone. Specs on the nVidia 310m says it SHOULD work, but...

- Collapse -
Sorry I don't think that works.

It can work if we extend the display and then set it as the primary.

While the specs may show it can be done, how Windows works may upset you.
Bob

- Collapse -
@R, Proffitt, sounds upside-down, but....

...whatever works, works, so I'll give it a go when I'm back in the office and report back. Thanks!

- Collapse -
Let me share.

On my machine here (it really does this on all machine running 7 with standard control panels) I MUST extend the desktop, then check the boxes as needed to make the external monitor 1 then in Windows 7 there is a box for something to tell it that it's the only display. Sorry but I'm away from the machine that has that setup for a few weeks.
Bob

- Collapse -
No cigar

@Bob, I tried the extended desktop setting, and it didn't give me any more resolution options than before. Sorry! I'm beginning to think that the problem is either my connector or the way Samsung hardwired it this laptop. Just can't understand why they'd bother to include an nVidia GPU if you can't use it to power your monitor. Seems like this would be a very common use. Anyhow, I will report back after the DisplayPort to HDMI cable arrives.

- Collapse -
Do you have a guru helper?

Sorry but after doing this a few too many times on ever lesser machines you begin to wonder why the control panels were done this way.

Again, I have no step by step since it's from memory and the machine that has this setup is at a far away office.

Once you've done this, it's a lot easier the second time.
Bob

- Collapse -
I'm all the guru I've got

Bob, I know exactly what you're talking about and it does work -- on my Panasonic TV. Connecting to that with HDMI, I can get 1920x1080p at 59Hz, and the only way to do it is by saying you want to extend your desktop, just as you describe.

On my office monitor (HP ZR30w), however, I can't even get 1920x1080, which makes me think it may be the connector that's to blame. When my DisplayPort to HDMI connector arrives, I'll know. Thanks! Arthur

- Collapse -
Answer
Are you using the external monitor as the only display, or
Are you using the external monitor as the only display, or are you extending the desktop?

CNET Forums