Computer Help forum

Can't download or open any PDF, HTML documents

by slamina / April 16, 2013 6:32 AM PDT

I downloaded and installed I.E. 10 and later removed it and reinstalled IE. 9.0. It seemed like it was then I lost my Adobe Acrobat and can't open and/or download any attachments. I tried to download from the Adobe website but none of the programs would start.

My control panel shows I have Adobe Reader X (10.1.6)(1) but nothing more.

The properties of the latest attachment I was unable to open, was a HTML and protocol is with privacy. Would this have anything to do with it? I have set my Active script to enable. But my browser doesn't prompt me to run a file at all when I try to download these programs.

I hope i don't have you too confused as my internet talk is jargon.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't download or open any PDF, HTML documents
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't download or open any PDF, HTML documents
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Get hold of Chrome or Firefox
by wpgwpg / April 16, 2013 6:48 AM PDT

There're two excellent substitutes for Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox. You can download Chrome from and Firefox from . Either of these should do what you need.
You didn't say how you uninstalled IE10 and reinstalled IE9. If you didn't follow the procedure MS provided, that could account for your problem. You're supposed to use the Programs and Features applet to do that. Anything else will cause you problems. You need to have a working version of IE or you won't be able to download and install Windows Updates which you definitely want to do.
Good luck.

Collapse -
Reinstall Adobe Reader Like This....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 16, 2013 9:49 AM PDT

First, it would be nice to know which version of Windows you have installed.. I'll guess Windows 7, but please tell us for sure.. Service Pack 1 installed too?

Next, uninstall all previous versions of Adobe Reader from the Control Panel-Programs and Features. Once that's done, download the latest, full, OFFLINE Adobe Reader 11.x installer from the link below:

NOTE: Clicking on the link below will immediately open the download dialogue window.. Choose to "Save" the file to your desktop.

Once it's there, then double click on the file to install Adobe Reader. This should allow you to open .pdf files again.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
can't download anything yet
by slamina / April 21, 2013 4:39 AM PDT

I'm sorry for not giving you enough info. I am running Win/7. I haven't tried any of the great suggestion above yet because I bought Kaspersky PURE Total Security 3.0 but can't download that either. I've been doing alot of troubleshooting because I've also been getting alot of spam!! and pop ups telling me I have 1) trojan-PSW.Win32.launch, 2) Hacktool:Win32/Welevate.A, 3)Adware.Win32.fraud. The 1st time I got this error, I clicked on the tool to clean the computer but of course it didn't do anything. I got the same message again several days later but closed it. I imagine it's malware.

I didn't know that my trial version of malawarebytes had expired about 9 days ago. Perhaps that gave somone a open door to hack me????

I found while troubleshooting that in my Event properties,(event 500 w/ 999 events) that desktop Win. mnmgt, is experiencing heavy resource contention. Video mem. resources are over utilized. The OpCode: Video Mem. Degradation. Also, I have 9,406 administrative events (lots of errors) event 59 side by side.

My system didn't find any integrity violations but seems most of my programs aren't compatible as I ran a check in safe mode. Such as Adobe Reader X, Real Player, Malwarebytes, Hardware and devices, Silverlight and more. I'm not sure if it was successful when my settings were applied to Win/ XP service pack 2. I also did a restore in safe mode to as far back as I could, only to 4/10 and changed password. Then I tried safe mode with networking to run Microsoft Safety scanner but couldn't download the the scanner in safe or reg. mode.

Another issue could be a download I did by mistake, "myfuncards" toolbar from Mindspark Interactive Network on 2/23 and tried to immediately remove it. It's currently in my list of programs yet and everytime I've tried to remove it, it tells me to reset my home page and default search settings. Could that be malware?

Also tried Microsoft Fix It tool to fix I.E. add on problems when I.E. hangs. I can't run it. It's just like everything else, won't start or download.

OS name- 7-home premium, service pack 1
Sys. manu. and model and type - HP-Pavilion BK149AA-ABA s5414y, x64 based
Processor- AMD Athlon (tm) II X2 215, 2700 Mhz, 2 Cores, 2 logical processors
SMBIOUS Version, 2.5
Installed RAM, 4.00 GB
Total physical memory, 3.75 GB, Available 2.15 GB
Total Virtual memory, 7.50 GB, Available 5.66 GB

Before I call Kaspersky I'd like to have a idea of what's going on especially if I get someone who doesn't have clear English (not to hurt anyone who may be reading this). I just have problems following instructions when on the phone or a chat.

In advance thank you again... You're all super people

Collapse -
Can't open the Adobe link given
by slamina / April 21, 2013 4:45 AM PDT

I clicked on the link you so kindly gave me but nothing happens.....???

Collapse -
Then It's Time To Scan For Malware Like This
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 21, 2013 9:55 AM PDT

Since you can't download anything on your problem computer, you're going to need to use a separate, clean computer to download the tools below, copy them to a DIFFERENT flash drive or CD, then transfer them to the infected computer. They may seem a little complicated but it's not that hard and you should be able to get things done.

Once that's done, then restart the computer into "Safe Mode with Networking" (restart the computer and immediately start pressing the F8 key, once per second, till a selection screen. When that loads, use the up/down arrow keys to select "Safe Mode with Networking", then press the "Enter" key.)....then use the instructions below. If you can't start in Safe Mode, then run all the tools while in "normal" Windows first, then run them in Safe Mode afterward.:

After downloading or transferring it to the problem machine, run the
following tool to help allow the removal programs below to run.
(courtesy of Grinler at are 3 different
versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the other one. Be
patient.... as a black window should open, then close after finding all
the background programs.Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose "Run as Admin". You only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install the Malwarebytes and
SuperAntispyware installer and update files from the links below which
you've also copied to a CD or flash drive, and transfered to the problem
machine. Do NOT restart the computer after running Rkill. After that, run a full system scan
and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)

Next, install and run a full system scan with the SuperAntispyware program
and the manual updater from the links below. As before, you may need to
rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

Manual Update

And after that, if everything's fine by you can't connect to the internet,
then follow the procedures below to check your network "proxy" settings
again.Open Internet Explorer and go to Tools-Internet
Options-Connection Tab. Click on the LAN settings button. IF there is a
check mark next to "Use a proxy server for your LAN", uncheck it. Click
OK. Then OK, again.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
And Try Fixing Internet Explorer Like This
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 16, 2013 9:52 AM PDT

Open the Control Panel, then the "Internet Options" icon, then the "Advanced" tab.. At the bottom of the window, click on the "Reset" button to reset Internet Explorer to its default state... Choose "Yes/OK" when it asks: "Are you sure?", the Apply, OK, etc.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Safe mode
by pyrrhus55 / April 21, 2013 5:22 AM PDT

I would recommend you do your anti-malware/anti virus scans in safe mode or safe mode with networking.
The scans tend be far more effective in those modes. I would bet ,your machine is far more infected than you think.
A good practice is to make a restore point before the scans. Just in case the anti virus program actually removes something you need.
You get there easily , by pressing F8 repeatedly ,while rebooting.
I use updated Superantispyware & Combfix, in safe mode to remove the trash.
But everyone has their favorite combinations to remove virus's .
Once you believe you have your machine cured. Make a restore point .

Collapse -
The process?
by slamina / April 21, 2013 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Safe mode

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I have tried resetting I.E. in the past but doesn't make a difference. I will try the Superantispyware and Combfix but I can download or run anything. Just to be certain, can you adivse me how to correctly make a restore point? and is this done in reg. mode?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?