Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Can't download any attachments

by sage444 / November 20, 2010 1:23 AM PST

I have xp word, outlook express dell computer When I try to open an attachment in Outlook Express or download anything online (bank statements), I get this message

C: Documents & Settings (my name)\Local Settings\Temporary Intgernet Files\Content IES\KVQ5YCQL\ FESt. Sing.POST 1011180001.pdf is not a valid WIN 32 application. What do I need to do to be able to open attachments as well as other information on line I keep getting this ***** PDF is not a valid WIN32 application. Obviously I am missing something on my computer. Thank you in advance for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't download any attachments
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't download any attachments
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need something that reads PDF files
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 20, 2010 5:52 AM PST

If this is only happening with attachments that are PDF files, then you need an application that recognises and can open PDF files.

PDF is Adobe's format for documents that can be transported/transferred without the risk of the document being changed. Adobe has it's own PDF Reader which you can download and install.

You may already have a PDF reader installed on your system, so try this. Instead of attempting to open the attachments direct from the email, right click the attachment, then save it to your Desktop. Then double click it from there after you have virus checked it. If it still will not open, then you need the Adobe PDF reader.

Collapse -
by sage444 / November 21, 2010 7:29 AM PST

Sorry for caps! I have unblocked on google as well as webroot to allow attachments but Unblocked so I could move to desktop but still get the same message.

So I went to cnet download, go into site but once click on download the system is not responding. Like it is in outer space. So I went to the adobe site and tried to download and the same thing happens.

Did a search to see if a adobe reader on computer somewhere but it is not but I do have adobe flash.

Tried to open bank statement and get same message as with attachments, pdf is not a valid win 32 applicaion. So I tried to open with word and got the same message.

When I tried to open with wordpad and notepad, I got symbols and jibberish stuff not English.

What in the world is going on????? I am completely lost and in desperate need of some advice. Thanks in advance for your help.

Collapse -
Another popular .pdf Reader
by rhabdomantist / November 21, 2010 6:03 AM PST
Collapse -
by sage444 / November 21, 2010 8:47 AM PST

Okay, I downloaded Foxit and can open attachments but cannot open any pdf files. List below

Went to paypal to open statement
Cannot open without adobe xp
Clicked on their link and everything went fine as put in criteria xp, adobe 9.4, etc
Popup x top(This website wants to install the following add on Adobe DLM from Adobe Sys, Inc. If you trust the website and the add on and want to install it click here

Clicked Install this add on for all users on this computer

Hourglass mouse

Top of screen (Not Responding)

Then I went to restore as I thought maybe I can restore to an earlier date

Went through retore, returned to computer but could not restore your computer to an earlier date.

I really need some help as I cannot get into any of my statements.

Collapse -
Re: statements
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 21, 2010 4:15 PM PST

Don't try to open them in your browser. Save them to your hard disk. Then run Foxit from Start>Programs and use File>Open to open the file you saved.

Where does this go wrong?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?