Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Can't Dismiss Reminder

by Mike7p / July 26, 2009 10:23 PM PDT

Hi There,

I've been using Outlook for years now, currently on 2007 version,
Today I've come across a problem I've never seen before. This morning an appointment reminder popped up on time as usual, and as I no longer needed it I clicked on Dismiss, thinking this would be the end of it...But then next time I opened Outlook, the reminder popped up again. Again I ?Dismissed? it, but again it reappeared.
I then went to look for it on the calendar to delete it, but there was no sign of the appointment at all. So next time it popped up I clicked on snooze to remind me again in 5 minutes, but got an error saying that it could not be reset as the appointment could not be found.
So now I?m stuck with a reminder for an appointment that can?t be deleted because it doesn?t exist!!
Has anybody out there had a similar problem, and if so, how was it resolved?
Many thanks
Mike7P

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Dismiss Reminder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Dismiss Reminder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Was the word "object" in the error message?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2009 10:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Can't Dismiss Reminder

Just a request. When you share an "error message" be sure to post it without edit. You have a great clue in the error message but since I can't guess which error it was, try this. At google type that error message in "quotes".

You may get lucky,
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry Bob
by Mike7p / July 26, 2009 10:51 PM PDT

I usually do include the error but forgot this time! However it is "Cannot postpone the reminder.The message you specified cannot be found"
I have put in Google and was lead to Microsoft's website where I was advised to search foe KB179261 which offered a possible cause but no solution!
Apparently it could be due to Auto Archiving being carried out after the message was first shown but before it was shown again the 2nd time.
Any clues from that what I should try next?
Regards
Mike7P

Collapse -
My first 2 ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2009 10:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry Bob

1. outlook.exe /cleanreminders

You may have done this, you may have not.
outlook.exe /cleanreminders recreates the reminder search folder and restarts the search.

2. There is another issue that we would want to run CHKDSK but let's hold off on the till you try item 1.
Bob

Collapse -
No:1 didn't work..........
by Mike7p / July 26, 2009 11:54 PM PDT
In reply to: My first 2 ideas.

so I guess No:2 is the next thing to try.
Is CHKDSK something that needs to be done when the PC is left idle for a while, if so how long will it be out of action? is it best to run it overnight?
Thanks
Mike7P

Collapse -
CHKDSK is one of those things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2009 2:17 AM PDT

I think I do that every few months. I'd be happy to read people BACKUP and then run it yearly.
Bob

PS. There are other Outlook switches but I'm going to play it safe and only mention things that should be safe as I don't know how you would recover from say a drive failure.

Collapse -
CHKDSK didn't help
by Mike7p / July 27, 2009 4:30 PM PDT

fix the problem either. I'm willing to try most things when it comes to repairing faults. I always make a complete disk image with Macrium Reflect before carrying out any major work, so don't worry about disk failure.
I'm open to further suggestions if you have any!
Regards
Mike7P

Collapse -
Should have probably
by Mike7p / July 27, 2009 4:37 PM PDT
In reply to: CHKDSK didn't help

mentioned earlier that the PST file that my Outlook data is stored in, is actually stored on NAS Drive on my home network, which is accessed by 2 PCs. the fault appears on both machines, so that leads me to believe that the problem is with the PST file rather than the Outlook setup itself. I have also already run the Office Diagnostics which did not show any faults.
Regards
Mike7P

Collapse -
That's likely it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2009 10:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Should have probably

Sorry but I don't know of a cure short of putting it on a local drive or a (Microsoft) server. I do know of issues swirling around file, record locks but must keep from writing novels about that as that only talks about the problems without curing them. So moving on.

Since you moved the PST how did you find the address book locations?

There may be other locations to change as well.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.