Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Can't delete temp file

My computer has been acting strangely lately with frequent hangs. Norton anti-virus scans and also gets stuck when it reaches the file: temp/~WRF005.tmmp. The file is 2,096,763 kb!! I tried to delete it in Windows Explorer, but it crashes. I tried Disc Cleanup and it crashed then also. I tried Ewido and it hung for a long time on that file, but eventually completed the scan and did not identify it as a problem.
Pentium 4 3.6 with 1 GB RAM, Windows Media Center with SP2
What next?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't delete temp file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't delete temp file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ravinblue

In reply to: Can't delete temp file

not sure how long before you may get an answer from a mod today being superbowl game day.In the mean time you might want to try downloading ccleaner@ccleaner.com and run it.If that won't help think about using system restore.Go Steelers!:-)

Collapse -
Additionally: Since The File In ? Is a Temp File.....

In reply to: ravinblue

after installing CCleaner & BEFORE running first scan, you'll need to go to change its' preset under>Options Button>Advanced Button> uncheck box labeled " Only clean temp files older than 48 hours" (In case it's pretending to be current). After cleaning (if it's gone) you can go back in and re-check that box.
Here's link to post with both download link & second link to printable items cleaned descriptions.Enjoy! Grin
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7813-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=142061&messageID=1593285

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Additionally: Since The File In ? Is a Temp File.....

That worked. the file is gone, Norton was able to do a complete scan, and the system seems to be runnung better.

Collapse -
May I Suggest, Since The File Was So Large, A Defrag.....

In reply to: Thanks

might be of help in improving speed and an Check Disk Error repair couldn't hurt but will take about 1 hour to confirm all system files are unaffected. I suggest this since the file in question behaved in such a strange manner, making me wonder if it messed with the files which direct behavior. Can't hurt. Afterwards I'd create a new Restore Point. Here's how:

Disk/repair (Check Disk) (like SFC)
Left click on My Computer(open)
Right click on "C" or your OS drive if another letter.
Left click Properties and then click Tools Tab.
Left click on "Error Checking"> Check Now.
Left click to enter check mark in BOTH boxes offered.
Left click on "Start".
Computer will have to reboot to begin repairs.
Just leave alone (you're locked out anyway) 'til process finished.
In regular mode will take about 1 Hour (more/less)
In Safe Mode about 2 hours.
If computer normal after process complete you might want to create a new
restore point and Label it POST ERROR REPAIR.
This is based on using an onboard copy of sys
files if copy is ok.
If copy is corrupted, it may tell you to insert XP or SP2(if patch applied) disk or to indicate location of SP2 info to get new,
clean copy inserted. Good to have disk at hand. Good Luck!! Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.