Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Can't Defragment

I installed XP PRO on 40GB Drive. I then decided to dual boot with Linux. XP is now on 18.3 GB NTFS partition. I then upgraded to service pac 3 and latest updates as of yesterday. There are very little I have done in XP, but I only have 7.57 GB free space. The original drive was only 6GB, so I figure XP should only take up about 3 GB of disk space. I tried defragging, but get message - can not defrag. Is there a third party app that can defrag the drive? What to do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Defragment
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Defragment
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Remember this has over a decade of history.

In reply to: Can't Defragment

Let's cover the basics we've learned over time.

1. Boot to safe mode.
a. chkdsk
b. try again in SAFE MODE.

2. Look up other defrraggers like defraggler.

3. Ignore it. It rarely speeds up the system and if there is hardware issues can corrupt what's on the drive.

Again, you are traveling down a very well beaten path.
Bob

Collapse -
more

In reply to: Remember this has over a decade of history.

I wanted to defrag thinking I could open more disk space. Seems unreasonable that XP would take up 11GB disk space. As I said it was on a 6 GB HDD before. There is less than 2 GB in My Documents. I installed Driver detective, AVG 2014, and Mozilla Firefox. That's all. There are 2 Admin accounts, mine and the person I am giving the laptop to. The amount of documents in my account add up to so many kb. I plan on renaming my account in the other persons name and removing his admin account. (My admin account will become renamed as his - nothing to worry about in it)

Does having 2 admin accounts account for taking up more space?

Collapse -
1. It does not reclaim disk space.

In reply to: more

2. You can test that. Add an account and see. Here it's so small I don't worry. Without the spare account you know what you can't fix with ease.

3. If you are tracking down space, use things like search and sort by size. Also that app called TREESIZE.

The paging file and temp files on Windows update as well as, well, we are duplicating a decade of discussions.
Bob

Collapse -
Safe Mode?

In reply to: Remember this has over a decade of history.

How do I boot to safe mode?
I am dual booting XP and Linux.
First screen is Dell Splash screen - F2 Settings F12 Boot Sequence No safe mode there
Next screen is GRUB - several Linux boot options, Memtest, and then XP - no safe mode option

Collapse -
That first question on google.

In reply to: Safe Mode?

I dual boot too. It's the same key after the grub.

Collapse -
Same Key?

In reply to: That first question on google.

What do you mean Same Key After GRUB?

Booted to GRUB. Selected XP. EnterWindow XP PRO begins booting. Am I supposed to do something after GRUB and XP PRO begins to Boot? Hit a particular key? Nothing happens at that point hitting F2, or F12. No options at F2 or F12 at Dell splash screen to boot to Safe Mode.

Collapse -
Sorry but the question how to boot safe mode

In reply to: Same Key?

Has been asked many times and answered on the web many many times. I don't mind your question but why not learn how to find answers to common questions?
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.