Computer Help forum

General discussion

can't defrag my computer someone please help!

by sphinctourist / October 15, 2009 1:01 AM PDT

i have been trying to defrag my computer to no avail. i have windows xp and when i try using the disk defragmenter i get an error msg that says "Disk Defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: (C:). Please run Chkdsk/f."
so when i try to run this Chkdsk thing i get another error msg that says
"The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts (Y/N)"

so i select Y and when i restart the computer i'm not sure if it does anything but i do know nothing changes because I still can't defrag.

so what have I tried so far? I've tried rebooting in safe mode... still can't defrag there or run Chkdsk and i tried a program called Diskeeper 2009 that didn't work either... i've tried disabling my antivirus program and then tried running chkdsk in case that was the process that was inhibiting the chkdsk.

also i was going to mention, not knowing whether this issue is related at all to this but just in case, i use google chrome for my browser and started receiving an error msg related to that some time ago that pops up every time i open a browser window through chrome... it reads

"chrome.exe - Corrupt File
The file or directory C:\Documents and Settings\Cain\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Local State is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

running chkdsk has never done anything to fix this... this problem in particular i've had for several weeks now... and when i go and try to delete the "Local State" file it won't allow me to i get an error msg that reads "Cannot delete Local State: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

can anyone help me with either of these? especially the defrag problem because my computer is running pretty slow these days. thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't defrag my computer someone please help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't defrag my computer someone please help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is a bad sign.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2009 1:16 AM PDT

I limped along with such a machine for over 2 years looking for a solution to this type of drive file system corruption. But first let me strike down the notion that CHKDSK can fix this. It can't fix all damages so be sure you are ready for the inevitable.

One LAST thing. And let's do that FIRST thing FIRST. Since file system damage and its repair could lose the entire volume's data you are WARNED and STERNLY WARNED that if you don't have backups (notice plurals) then you have no one to blame but yourself if it all goes away.

Ok, ARMED with your bona fide XP CD we boot that and head to the XP RECOVERY CONSOLE to run CHDKSK from the booted CD. Here's how ->

If you don't have such a CD then you won't be doing that.

What did I do to fix mine after 2+ years? Yup, I backed up one more time and started fresh.

Collapse -
wish the news were happier
by sphinctourist / October 15, 2009 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: This is a bad sign.

hey there... thanks for the prompt reply... even if the prognosis seems pretty bleak... just want to make sure i'm understanding correctly here... short of having a bona fide xp cd [which i don't unfortunately] with which to do a system recovery then i'm basically s.o.l. and will be wiping and reformatting my hard drive if i want my computer working properly again... have i got that right?
and by backups do you mean that i have anything i care to save on a cd somewhere separate to the computer?
thanks again

if anyone else out there knows something mr. proffitt doesn't that would fall under the good news catagory please feel free to share Happy

Collapse -
I hope someone will strike me down.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2009 9:52 AM PDT
(climbs to the top of the hill with a golf club like in Caddyshack.)

Ok, about backup. The lessons are often learned but never taught. Let's just put out this scenario.

1. The hard drive screamed and now sounds like a tin can full of bearings.
2. Look in the mirror and check the expression you see.

Horror = No backups (note the use of the plural on backups.)
Annoyed = Backups but missing my XP CD so this is going to cost me.
Grr = Still need a new drive.

Hope this answers the question on backups. You want more than one.
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?