Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't defrag

by slirwin / February 28, 2004 2:52 AM PST

My ME defrag program starts but doesn't get past 0 or 1%. I believe that it restarts continuously because some program is writing to the hard drive, but I don't know how to figure out what program is the culprit. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm using an HP Pavilion XE783 running Windows ME. Norton Antivirus is loaded but I disable it to try to defrag. I tried using Norton Utilities to defrag and experience the same problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't defrag
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't defrag
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Can't defrag
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2004 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: Can't defrag
Collapse -
by wolflake / March 1, 2004 8:42 AM PST

I have a HP Pavilion 7920 with the same problem, but it wouldn't go past 10%. Do your ctrl+alt+delete and end task all background programs except explorer and systray. If you have a mtray "or similar spelled" program running in the background you may also have to end task it, but play around with both. ME is frustrating, so hope it goes well.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Can't defrag
by tpoole / March 6, 2004 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Can't defrag

Restart your computer and when it starts to restart..
hold down the control key.

Windows will start with options.

Choose "SAFE MODE"

When starting is finished...go to accessories and choose scan or what ever you like.

Do scan, dfrag, or what ever.

Oh don't forget to right click your desktop where no icon is..choose properties...then screen saver..then none.

Collapse -
defrag only going to 10%
by teena0577 / January 30, 2005 12:52 PM PST

i know i'm late with this but defrag in safe mode

Collapse -
by cheekyles / March 2, 2004 8:00 AM PST

Hi
i am having trouble defraging my computer also trouble scan disking it it won't do either i have done a defrag and scan disk last week i do it once a week and want to know why it is happening.
It is a second hand compture i have just got it when i did it defraged it straight away.
It started off on 2 % and told me to scan disk i did that and it wouldn't complete it went for 2 hrs and nothing happen .
So i hope to hear from you soon on how i can fix it
thank you lesley

Collapse -
Have you read this thread?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2004 8:09 AM PST
Collapse -
by mizbaby / March 4, 2004 7:42 AM PST

Turn off your screensaver and start up in safe-mode. It'll defrag.

Collapse -
by Tom1 / March 4, 2004 11:21 AM PST

Had same problem with defrag. Scan disk gives the option of Standard or Thorough. After trying Thorough several times, I decided to run Standard first. This cleared up a few hard disk errors. Then I ran Thorough and it didn't hang up. After that defrag worked.

Collapse -
by tpoole / March 6, 2004 4:10 AM PST

You have the same computer I have. It is a good idea to increase your memory by going to Circut City and buying PC100/PC133 256 MB memory {about $60} and replace one of memory cards if you have not already done this. It changed the performance greatly!

Whatever you buy..Make sure it is compatable with PC100. That is the kind of mem you have.

Restart your computer and when it starts to restart..
hold down the control key.

Windows will start with options.

Choose "SAFE MODE"

When starting is finished...go to accessories and choose scan or what ever you like.

Do scan, dfrag, or what ever.

Oh don't forget to right click your desktop where no icon is..choose properties...then screen saver..then none.

Collapse -
by curlew / March 14, 2004 9:10 PM PST

Anyone using a Microsoft but Non XP Operating System can make excellent use of End-It-All. A brief discussion about this wonderful little tool is at
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1935,00.asp.
I repair a lot of computer systems and I always install this little widget to save on the STOPS AT 10% PROBLEM.
It really is worth a try.

Collapse -
by djohn / March 7, 2004 1:24 PM PST

i had this problem. i was told to go to the safe mode. reboot your computer when the name comes on ( mine is dell but could say compaq or IBM) keep hitting the F8 key it will open several options on mine it is the #3 choice that says SAFE MODE. then go to the start button in the bottom left corner. open accessories and pick the defrag option. it should work and after you have finished defraging reboot your computer and this will put you back into operational mode. the first time i did this it took 2 hours to defrag because it had been so long. good luck

Collapse -
by pacemaker69 / March 7, 2004 3:09 PM PST

hit ctrl,alt,delete and end task every thing except systray and explorer then your defrag should work.keep hiting c,a,d at same time over and over until all are gone in the box that comes up

Collapse -
by James_the_Great / March 8, 2004 4:22 AM PST

Why don't you get diskeeper, it's much more better than the systems own defrager

Collapse -
by grelims / March 11, 2004 4:59 AM PST

I had the same problem. Corrected by SCAN (make there is a tick in the box for auto fix errors)
Martin

Collapse -
by badchad71 / March 14, 2004 12:16 PM PST

I have a sony vaio that came with ME. with problems just like you have and lots of lock ups I switched to XP. It is the best thing I could have done. My computer runs faster and doesnt crash. Your time and energy is too valuable for windows ME.

Chad

Collapse -
Re:Can't defrag - Works every time for me
by cozcan_14 / March 14, 2004 1:25 PM PST

First, I reboot my computer if I have been using it.
Then I use ctrl, alt, delete and hit end task on everything but explore and systray.
Next I do at least the basic scandisk then I defrag.
I never have a problem when I do this. I am using Windows98 on my computer.

Collapse -
by josephthediviner / March 14, 2004 1:44 PM PST

restart hold down (control) when prompted enter the safe mode from safe mode defrag safe mode will keep most other programs inactive and thus allowing the operating system to do one thing at a time, namely defrag. hope this helps Jim.

Collapse -
by res0p8bw / March 14, 2004 2:34 PM PST

Start by turning OFF you're screensaver. Then in the bottom right of your screen in the TASK BAR Disable or EXIT all applications and or programs.(right click on ICONS select EXIT 0r DISABLE) If you are on DSL or Cable, disconnect or turn OFF modem . If on Dial up check to see if modem is automatically trying to dial. Restart Defrag.

Collapse -
by res0p8bw / March 14, 2004 2:48 PM PST

Try going to safe mode run scandisk "automatically fix errors" then defrag.
good luck

Collapse -
by Deanza17 / March 14, 2004 3:34 PM PST

Go to Goggle look for "enditall" download it, install it and ask for a shortcut to desk top drag it to your tool bar. double click it and click enditall and It will stop all programs that are running other than your virus program, do a c/a/d end the virus program. very easy to follow program work every time.

Collapse -
by robert-scamp / March 21, 2004 4:41 AM PST

Go into defrag settings and uncheck "rearrange progran files" I got this from another forum of this site. It will return to 0 for a few times, but then goes forward to where it last stopped. Also works with screen saver and norton anti-virus.

Collapse -
by techie1 / March 14, 2004 6:22 PM PST

I used to have the same problem but not anymore.What I do now is close all programs running in the background and also disconnecting from the internet(if you are on cable)
This seems to work for me now.

Collapse -
by maerrn / March 14, 2004 8:06 PM PST

Ditch it! - Either reformat your hard drive using Windows XP, or do like I did and buy a new computer with it on!.....Windows ME is a piece of junk! I limped along for three years with that piece of crap and finally broke down and bought a new computer, one with Windows XP. Very disappointed in Windows Corp. for not admitting that OS was grossly defective. I, as well as many others had major problems with it - defrag was next to impossible!

Collapse -
by terrapan11 / March 14, 2004 8:09 PM PST

I had the same problem.
solution: carry out the defrag in safemode, making sure that all open programs (programs shown on bottom right hand side of screen)are closed.
If this still happens on safemode, remove any screen saver that you may have.
Regards
terrapan11

Collapse -
by vulcan / March 14, 2004 8:47 PM PST

I have the same computer and I upgraded my memory and it would work but slowly. I installed norton system works and it will defrag my system in about 10 min. It was well worth the money.

Collapse -
by glynmun / March 14, 2004 10:07 PM PST

I had the same problem as I too run windows Me. The simplest way I have found with no computer geek jargon etc is to install a small program called EndItall (search for it on www.astalavista.com or google)....it's freeware.
Just run the program once installed, i always select kill all, then I run the Defrag program with absolutely no problem whatsoever!
If you cant find enditall....give me a shout on big_guy590@hotmail.com and I'll send you the program.

All the best,
G.

Collapse -
by Giulio / March 15, 2004 3:10 AM PST

I have no experience with ME but a lot with Windows 98 SE. When the usual defrag command is not carried out, revert to a start in Windows safe mode and then try Defrag again. It might be necessary if there is a more serious kind of trouble to do a Scandisk C: operation in Dos safe mode first if the first alternative gives no result.

Collapse -
by Dalepittman / March 15, 2004 4:45 AM PST

Click on <start>, <run> and type in msconfig in the dialog box.
This will open the System Configuration Utility box. Under the General tab, uncheck the box marked 'Load Startup Group Items.'
Click on OK. The computer will prompt you to restart for the setting to take effect. Click on OK. Your computer will restart.
After it restarts, run your defrag program again.
When it is finished, Click on <start>, <run> and type in msconfig in the dialog box.
This will open the System Configuration Utility box. Under the General tab, check the box marked 'Load Startup Group Items.'
Click on OK. The computer will prompt you to restart for the setting to take effect. Click on OK. Your computer will restart.

Collapse -
by maggie may / March 15, 2004 10:36 AM PST

what works for me..I found that if I take all short cuts off the desk top and place them in my doc (temp) then move all short cuts off the tool bar on bottem left to my doc ..or delete and replace ( after defrag )works. as these short cuts are working(running) in the back ground all the time on the p.c.(all The time) and they use up ram which you need to defrag.Try this. Hope it works for you...kn.

Collapse -
by ladypepper / March 15, 2004 11:22 AM PST

I had the same problem and decided to search for an answer and found it at the following website: http://www.computerhope.com/software/defrag.htm which gives Microsoft Defrag Information. The TSR (terminate-and-stay-resident) programs need to be temporarily removed from memory since they are the reason you're having the problem, and the information on doing this can be found at this website.

Good luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!