Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Can't Decide, Need Help

by jsantos01 / December 13, 2006 11:53 AM PST

Alright I'm kinda having trouble here. I'm like one of them guys that are very techy and love gadgets. I'm looking to buy a Mp3 player. No I dont want any Ipod. I want something different. Here's what im looking for. Something that'll play videos and store pictures. Nothing too big nothing too thick. I also dont need a huge harddrive space but wouldnt mind to get one either. I was looking at the iriver clix(4gb, looked it up at the iriveramerica.com they have the 4gb cnet only reviewed he 2gb) and the Zune. I dont know which one to get. I went to a couple of stores and saw the Zune. Its a pretty neat toy. I can never find find the clix. I've been reading reviews on both players and its always up and down. I like both of em each of em have their own special features and all that which makes things a lot harder. So please need some help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Decide, Need Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Decide, Need Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I choose zune
by May13 / December 13, 2006 10:07 PM PST

According to the media newest report,the Zune will be released on the U.S. market November 14, 2006, with a price tag of $249.99,which is the same valued as Apple iPod 60G player while more expensive than 30G Apple iPod player. The professional

Collapse -
Wait, wait, wait.
by jsantos01 / December 14, 2006 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: I choose zune

So does he sofware comes with the zune or you have to buy it separately? I just got home from the mall, and checked out the zune and he clix. clix was 199.99 and the zune was 249.99. so for $50 more i get a more hard drive space and a larger screen, plus what i read from your post that theres a software that converts dvd to a format that ables you to play it to you zune. very nice, although does this software come with the zune or you buy it separately? Does the zune support subscripion things like the clix does? I dont know what the subsciption thingys are but it does sound interesting. can anyone help me with these also?

Collapse -
I can't help you with everything, but....
by ktreb / December 14, 2006 9:00 AM PST
In reply to: Wait, wait, wait.

Whatever software you need to get you started should be included in the package or available as a free download. You will need this because like iPod + iTunes, the Zune has its own software that can only be used to download music and videos to it.

As far as I know, the Zune doesn't come with software that takes your purchased dvds (if that's what you're wondering) and puts it in a format you can play on it. In order to do that, the software would have to break the drm (digital rights management) and that is illegal, even if you bought the dvd legally. If it did that, that would be really big news and I would have been the first in line to buy one. (I'll keep my iPod, thank you very much) It may have software that takes your home movies and converts them.

The Zune supports subscription music, but only from its own store - the Zune Marketplace. You pay a monthly fee and you can download as many songs as you want and put them on your Zune. You stop paying the fee, you won't be able to play the songs anymore.

With the Clix, you can purchase songs from more than one store. And you also have several options for subscriptions.

Collapse -
Subsciption Music.
by jsantos01 / December 14, 2006 10:55 AM PST

So if you stop paying the monthly fee the music that you've downloaded is gonna be useless? Meaning even if the musics are saved on your hard drive or Zune it wont play anymore? Whats up with that. And thanks for the help I think im gonna be getting the Zune. But please do inform me more about the Subsciption Music.

Collapse -
There are a couple of models of subscription music
by ktreb / December 14, 2006 3:00 PM PST
In reply to: Subsciption Music.

1. You pay a monthly fee to download as many songs as you like to your computer. You may have to pay a higher fee to be able to be able to be able to put it on a device. There is usually a limit to how many players you can transfer to. I would hope that the Zune Marketplace includes the ability to transfer this music in the price of the subscription. I'm not sure of all of the technical aspects of this, but I believe this is how it works for most services: All of the songs you download using the subscription will have a license attached to it which allows you to play the songs.(I'm hoping you know a little bit about drm - digital rights management) You will not be able to burn any of these songs to cd. This license has an expiration date. If you keep paying, you keep the license current and you can keep playing the songs on your computer and on the player. You stop paying, then they will no longer work. I am not sure if they delete themselves or not.

You actually do not own the music. You are merely renting it. This is a disadvantage, but it does allow you to download thousands of songs for a relatively small monthly fee rather than pay thousands to buy songs that you may not like a month or a year from now.

If you like a particular song or songs enough, you can purchase them individually. I'm not sure how the Zune Marketplace works, since I do not own a Zune nor wish to own one. Most, if not all services allow you to burn the songs that you purchased.

2. Subscribe to own. The only services I know of are eMusic and Audio Lunchbox. You pay a monthly subscription fee and you can dowload a set number of songs. Different levels have different download limits. With these two services you actually own the songs and they are drm free. They are unprotected mp3s. You can transfer them to any device, including the Zune and iPod because they are mp3s and you can burn them to cd.

These two services tend to skew toward more independent artists. You'll find some mainstream stuff, but if you're really into Britney Spears, you're out of luck. Another limitation is that you're not going to be able to download thousands of songs in a short period of time. It could take many months or years depending on your level of service. I think they come with a free trial so that you can try it out and see if it's to your liking.

I like the idea of subcription services - both models that I mentioned here. I don't really need it since I have 1000 cd collection. I have an iPod, so I can only use the second one. The Zune can only use the Zune Marketplace. If you have or are interested in any other device, look for the "Plays For Sure - subcription" logo on the box. That way, you know your device supports subcription services as well as downloads. There are some players that are "Plays For Sure" but only support purchased non-subscription content.

Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps you.

Collapse -
Thanks!!!
by jsantos01 / December 15, 2006 10:44 PM PST

The subscription post was so helpful! thank you so much!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.