Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Can't decide

by bjorncyz / October 4, 2006 9:40 PM PDT

I'm looking at the Toshiba Gigabeat, Ipod video 80gig and Creative Zen Vision:M . But the problem is, to me they all look superb. And i seriously need help and advice on which is better, in terms of sound quality, video quality and is it worth the price. I don't really care about the capacity of the hard drive. My friend has an ipod video 80gig, he said it's fanstastic. I've seen the zen vision:M i was amazed by it's looks. I saw Toshiba on this website, and was impressed. so all i need now is some advide. and probably some up and downs for 3 of them. I would greatly appreciate some personal opinion and preference too.. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't decide
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't decide
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
if storage space is not an issue...
by bevillan / October 5, 2006 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't decide

why not just get the 30gb video iPod for $250? It is the same as the 80gb in all areas aside from HD space.

To me either get the iPod vid or the Zen:M. I have an iPod mini and love it but it is old (>3 years) so I will be getting the 30 gb iPod video probably in December since I have had a great experience with my current iPod. The Zen has received alot of great reviews though. Basically if you want an FM tuner, get the Zen...if an FM tuner is not something you care about, get the iPod.

Collapse -
price matters, but <500 should be fine
by bjorncyz / October 5, 2006 10:40 PM PDT

I'm not really about the price, but if i get an ipod video, i'll probably get the 80 gigs one, might as well. I told my older brother about getting the zen vision:M, he said that it's kinda old, and ipod's rather common. And he said apparently there's a new Ipod coming out somewhere next year. but i really can't be bothered waiting till next year. Do you reckon that the new ipod is that good that it is worth waiting till next year? or should i go into dilemma deciding to get a gigabeat, creative zen vision:M or ipod video.. i would still appreciate comments..

Collapse -
Zen Vision:M, or Ipod Video?
by Righton- / October 14, 2006 7:24 PM PDT

Hello,

I have been a ipod user, transfered to creative, and I think i'm settling with ipod finally. I first had a ipod mini, worked fine and all but I wanted more. I decided to retire my mini and upgrade to a Zen Vision:M. I waited to get the zen because I wanted to try a different product offered from a different company. I got the first one from my best buy, because I wanted to avoid the risk of getting a product with used parts in it. I got a 2 year warranty and I had a problem uploading video about 2 weeks ago. I returned it and they gave me a new one with a free apple a/c charger, and renewed my 2 year warranty. Not bad huh? Anyways I wasn't sure if I should switch to an ipod video as it is thinner with more accesories. I went out and got a really good dock that allows your ipod to use speakers, and it also charges the thing. I only paid 40 dollars can. I got an ipod to test it out with the dock, and attempt to get videos on it. I struggled to upload video, 3 hours of my life wasted. I finally found software after 8 downloads of others. I think im settling with Jodix, which is a really good program, easy to use.

So, I think im keeping the ipod video because it is thinner, and I am getting the iskin case which is a plastic case. It will prob be a lil thinner than my creative without a case which is good cause I liked the size of the creative somewhat.

I personally think you should buy both and return whichever you don't like within 7-14 days based on the stores return policy. Upload the same video's and play at the same time. I think that is the best test to analyze which has the best video quality.

As audio goes, I found the creative had superb audio quality with the creative ear buds that came with it. Very good little earbuds. Note: BLACK MODEL ZEN SCRATCHES LIKE A BI*CH damn....... Get a case, or don't get black! And I took care of mine, trust me.

I honestly think there both great products and the zen is very easy to upload videos compared to the ipod. The zen also has a microphone and fm tuner if that matters.

I hope my babbling on helped somehow....

Righton-

Collapse -
Thx alot
by bjorncyz / October 14, 2006 9:28 PM PDT

Yea it did help.. It helped by giving me more real life situations of what is better and what is not.. And now i have to suffer upon deciding which to get. i'm still a student, so i don't really have the money to buy an ipod an a creative at once. But i've pretty much made up my mind on getting a Zen vision. i'm waiting for the 60Gb one to come out. Or do you think it's no hurry and i should wait till maybe end of the year or next year. would still appreciate comments and thoughts..

Collapse -
I'm not sure
by miconstantine / October 16, 2006 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Thx alot

Well, the 30 GB Creative is thicker then the 80 GB iPod video, so just imagine how thick a 60 GB would be! I'd go with the iPod, i have one and it's great. The movies look great, and iTunes is a breeze to use. And best of all, 80 GB for 349! That is a great deaL!

Collapse -
hm
by bjorncyz / October 16, 2006 4:24 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm not sure

Ipod may look sleaker, but i've heard that in terms of functions, no way it can beat Creative. the 60gb one is about 2.2cm thick.. Yeap.. that thick..almost as thick as the phone i have now.. and i'm pretty comfortable with it.. so i dun think it will really matter..

Collapse -
by Righton- / October 15, 2006 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't decide

I personally think the 30 gb model is perfect for me. I have about 3-4 gigs of music and the rest is wide open for video. I've been testing this ipod video, and I feel like its a real pain to get it to format video, and uploading takes a hell of a long time too. I don't remember how long the zen vision:M took, but I know it was alot shorter.

Sure the ipod video looks sexier, is thinner, but whats the point of getting an ipod if every single person on the bus has one? (Taking the bus every day I know) When I had my zen vision:M on the bus, everyone seemed to look over, and ask me questions about it, which was kinda cool in a way.

I used the creative without a case, because the pouch they give you with the product is a piece of sh*t. The pouch is so large, it doesn't even hug the player so its very hard to put it in your pocket. And since I got the first model, there were no cases for it, so I just used it without a case.

The headphones are great! The audio quality is phenominal. And you can really use a zen without a case as long as you don't get black. The only scratches I had on the player were the tiny scratches all over the front black piece. and two dents on the bottom back when I dropped it twice.

The backing material is very good. I usually put the player on its back when I put it down, and if there is any scratches I can't see any.

After saying so many positive things about the zen, its making me think that I shouldn't get a ipod video.

Oh forgot to mention, that the zen allows you to set images as your background right out of the box. And I personally like the drag and drop feature alot more. I don't know if ipod video allows you to set pictures, but I heard from someone that you can but you need to buy there software or something like that.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Righton-

Collapse -
Hmm
by bjorncyz / October 15, 2006 4:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply

After all the reviews, comments, no doubts zen vision:M stole my heart away from gigabeat and ipod. I'll just wait till the 60gb one comes out..

Collapse -
Zen Vision:M
by Righton- / October 16, 2006 12:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

Hello,

I know this probably doesn't matter, but im almost positive im sticking with the zen. I returned my first gen zen, and got a new one. Its sitting here in black and im probably gunna open it and get the dlo case.

Honestly, I can't take the converting of videos. Btw it also takes up space on your comp when you convert it, and the mp4 video files look like **** if you play them on your comp or burn them on dvd.

I think my only decision will be to keep black, or switch to white or blue.

I really think that creative is the way to go. Do you happen to have any idea of when the creative zen vision:M will be available in 60 gb? Just curious. Do you think they will come out with any other colors? Or improve it? Thanks

Righton-

Collapse -
it's out
by bjorncyz / October 16, 2006 4:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Zen Vision:M

i heard that Zen vision:M 60gb is out already. Just that it's not out yet in australia or US. and i think the 60gb one only comes in black. I dun think they put anything extra in the 60gb ones.. so they're the same thing, juz more capacity

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?