Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't connect to microsoft.com

by kruib / March 28, 2004 1:13 PM PST

For several weeks now I have been unable to open "microsoft.com" web site. It tells me everytime "there was no response.The server is down or not responding. If you are unable to connect later, contact the server's admininstrator". I have contacted Micro Soft support(through my son's computer) and Dell where I bought the computer from. All to no avail nothing seem to work. I am pulling my hair out with this problem. Help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't connect to microsoft.com
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't connect to microsoft.com
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Can't connect to microsoft.com
by Gregorio51 / March 28, 2004 2:09 PM PST
Collapse -
Re:Can't connect to microsoft.com
by richard0 / March 28, 2004 8:30 PM PST

One possible cause could be that a worm has infected your computer.
Follow the directions below that I copied from:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.mydoom.b@mm.html

Note:
www.microsoft.com should not be listed in your host file. If it is, then you most likely have been infected.
The link I provided to Symantec is to information about a specific worm. This is not the only worm that could change the hosts file and may not be the one that is on your system.
Following the directions below will not take care of the worm, it will just allow you to see www.microsoft.com again. You will need to take further action to deal with the worm.

Click Start, and then click Search.
Click All files and folders.
In the "All or part of the file name" box, type:

hosts

Verify that "Look in" is set to "Local Hard Drives" or to "C:"
Click "More advanced options."
Check "Search system folders."
Check "Search subfolders."
Click Search.
Click Find Now or Search Now.
For each one that you find, right-click the file, and then click "Open With."
Deselect the "Always use this program to open this program" check box.
Scroll through the list of programs and double-click Notepad.
When the file opens, within the file, delete all the entries in the Hosts file where the line begins with 0.0.0.0.

For example:

0.0.0.0 www.microsoft.com

There may be many lines like this. Delete all of them.

Close Notepad and save your changes when prompted.

Collapse -
Easy fix
by marcusob11 / November 11, 2009 12:35 PM PST

Not had any luck with any virus scanners/spyware removers etc. Simply type this

net stop dnscache

in a dos shell (type cmd.exe in the Run dialog from the start menu). Now you can access all microsoft web sites. I have 2 computers on the same network, one works without this and the other does not. I will scan my machine again to see what causes this.

Marcus.

Collapse -
Redirected pages
by PassengerHotStick / January 7, 2010 9:59 AM PST
In reply to: Easy fix

I was having issues not being redirected but not being able to access certain websites like Malwarebytes.com and Microsoft.com and government websites. I ended up stopping my DNS cache and now everything works fine.
Run...
cmd.exe
type..."net stop dnscache"
A virus might re institute that after it is stopped but it may help.

Collapse -
easy fix
by ksadaghiani / September 3, 2010 4:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Easy fix

typing "net stop dnscache" in cmd.exe solved my problem, thanks!

Collapse -
Same problem ...different Solution
by LEUSCH / February 5, 2010 6:11 AM PST

We experienced the same problem today: No connection (invalid address) when trying to connect to www.microsoft.com.

After trying the rest of the solutions that did not work for us, I stumbled across the answer --> Our LINKSYS router. Turns out that we never upgraded the firmware and there where issues with MSN that developed since the router was built.

We downloaded and installed the new firmware (Free from the LINKSYS website --> http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/home) and the problem was immediately solved.

Collapse -
fixed
by shaker357 / October 5, 2011 3:02 AM PDT

Downloaded new network driver from my motherboard manufacturers website. Fixed..

Collapse -
i am having the same problem
by hmazuji / February 12, 2012 6:46 AM PST

i ran avg with the most recent virus definitions, and all the diagnostics. rootkit or something like that. it found a corrupted file, and an infected inf file on a removable drive. i forgot what the name of the virus was. but avg scanned my entire system.

i still can't connect to microsoft.com

checked the routing tables, and microsoft wan't in it. they were clean. i can't figure it out.

Collapse -
i wonder why i'm inheriting an eight year old problem
by hmazuji / February 12, 2012 8:37 AM PST

my computer runs fine except that it didn't connect to microsoft.com and it didn't connect to any protection programs. it didn't connect to trendmicro.

in a terminal window, i ran: net stop dnscache

connected to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

downloaded and ran the housecall program

it found something in movie maker and system32. i forgot the filename. used the "fix" option. rebooted.

the problem is fixed.

except i still can't use windows update. why ? because i'm not using internet explorer. mozilla users are not allowed. this is great though; i've got a clean system now.

Collapse -
Time for a NEW discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2012 8:44 AM PST

Dredging old posts with outdated advice is not a good idea. Start a new post please.

Collapse -
outdated ?
by hmazuji / February 12, 2012 11:23 PM PST

this is a recent problem for me. and the only one i've ever had. as far as computing is concerned. as far as having malware on my system is concerned.

outdated advice ? not a good idea ? that must be your opinion. is this the extent of your contribution ?

Collapse -
This post is from 2004. Much of the advice has changed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2012 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: outdated ?

Let's use a new post so you can get the new advice.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.