Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Can't connect to a network

I have an HP Pavillion dv9000z notebook, Windows Vista, NVIDIA graphics card. I replaced my old Linksys router because after 4 years I was no longer able to connect to a network wirelessly. My new router is Linksys WRT54G2. The new router works great wirelessly for about 4 days and then I have "no network" to connect to. I have uninstalled all programs associated with the router, restored the router back to factory condition and installed the router again. Works fine for a few days and then the same problem...no network. My husbands Dell computer works just fine wirelessly and is always able to connect to the network I have set up. If I hard wire directly to my Wild Blue modem, I connect to the network. So it does not seem to be the router or my ISP. Something on my HP prevents me from locating my network. I understand that HP had a recall on some models due to graphics card going bad. Mine did not appear to be one but that doesn't mean that my graphics card might not be going bad (have no other symptoms of this happening). Could my graphics card be causing this problem possibly due to overheating? Or is it something else like a firewall, or an Antivirus program (running Avast on both computers so i don't think it's that). How do I correct this problem?

ljp123 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't connect to a network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't connect to a network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by ljp123

Collapse -
What We Do Here...

In reply to: Can't connect to a network

..is purchase a separate USB wireless adapter that attaches to a USB port on the notebook. Disable the onboard wireless adapter completely in Device Manager, then use the new one as the primary wireless access adapter.

Those Pavilions frequently had issues with failing wireless adapters.. After tinkering with a few of them, we simply purchase the USB models and we're up and running a a few minutes.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Wireless Router

In reply to: What We Do Here...

Yes, new router is a separate USB wireless adapter that attaches to a USB port on notebook and Wild Blue modem during setup (Linksys by Cisco Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G2).
So is this what I am looking for..... "Device Manager", then "Network Adapters", then "Broadcom 802.11a/b/gWLAN"? And right click and DISABLE? I just don't want to disable the wrong thing.
Thank you Grif, thank you!
Linda

Collapse -
Wireless Adapter

In reply to: What We Do Here...

Ok, I think I am understanding this better. You are saying that I need to purchase a wireless adapter that will plug into on of my USB ports on my computer (like a thumb drive, but a wireless adapter) but first disable the wireless card that is built into my computer. Then the Linsys router's signal should be recognized by the "new" wireless adapter on my computer. Sorry, this is all new to me but I am learning!

Collapse -
(NT) Yes, Correct !

In reply to: Wireless Adapter

Collapse -
Done!

In reply to: Yes, Correct !

Yeah! That worked. I purchased a Linksys AE1000 High Performance Wireless-N USB Adapter. Setup took less than 5 minutes. It works. thank you so much. Could no have done it w/o your help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!