Computer Help forum

General discussion

Can't Connect iMac G5 to D-Link WBR-2310 Wireless Router

by gazoontite00 / March 29, 2009 9:50 PM PDT

Ok, I'm having a bit of trouble. We have a hidden WPA2 Personal wireless that has to be added to your computer before you can connect. However, my computer will not connect and keeps telling me "connection timeout" or "connection failed" (when trying to connect via the menu bar) and "invalid password" when I try to connect by choosing "other airport network" through the network setup assistant. I know the password is correct, because we have two other computers (PC laptop's) in the house and thats the password they used when they added the wireless network to their computers. My wireless card is "AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x4E) Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (" and it definitely works because I had no problem connecting to wireless at school etc. It did connect once, so I know it works... just can't keep it up there and hasn't connected at all any time lately. I thought it was the range, because my computer is upstairs and the router is downstairs, but that makes no sense because no one else in the house has problems connecting, and I'm picking up neighbors' locked wireless. Any detailed suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Connect iMac G5 to D-Link WBR-2310 Wireless Router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Connect iMac G5 to D-Link WBR-2310 Wireless Router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Makes sense to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2009 9:57 PM PDT

Many systems won't connect to such a configuration. Once the owner is done with such a setup we move to the setup noted in our Networking forum.

There is no extra security in hiding the SSID but there is plenty of downside in connection drops and more.

I'd have a chat with the person that set this up. Did they want it to work with everything and work well, easily without calling for help?

Collapse -
Mac Address Filtering Perhaps?
by Jimmy Greystone / March 29, 2009 11:19 PM PDT

Is MAC Address filtering perhaps enabled? If so, your Airport card's MAC address will have to be added to the "approved" list.

Otherwise, make sure you're running the latest version of Airport, and that when you select "other networks" you select the proper encryption type. I've also found that sometimes even devices that claim to support WPA2, don't in actuality. Or they will only connect to routers under the same brand as the WAN card. So try dropping it back to WPA instead of WPA2, and see if that helps. Some routers will let you set up virtual networks and have different encryption levels on each network, which would keep you from having to alter the other systems.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?