HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

can't connect 2 internet after installing ZoneAlarm on WInXP

by noni2 / December 15, 2004 5:39 AM PST

Hello, I'm new here. I have Windows Home XP (SP1) and recently downloaded the free trial version of ZoneAlarm firewall. However, I was then totally unable to make an internet connection. Admittedly, I ticked on the Pro version as it seemed to offer superior protection. I had to uninstall it to be able to resume connection to internet.

I then downloaded LeakTest from Gibson Research Corporation (www.grc.com) in order to test the ICF firewall already activated on Windows Home XP and it failed the test, showing that it is not really protecting my PC.

I was wondering if ZoneAlarm is incompatible with the Windows Home XP firewall. Now, after taking the test showing the WinXP firewall to be useless anyway, is it worth disabling it and re-installing ZoneAlarm? If not, what could be the reason for the problem with ZoneAlarm?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: can't connect 2 internet after installing ZoneAlarm on WInXP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: can't connect 2 internet after installing ZoneAlarm on WInXP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ZA is worth it. . .
by Coryphaeus / December 15, 2004 6:39 AM PST

But I've been using the free version since it came out. And anything is better than the XP firewall. Download the free version as it does exactly what it's supposed to do. You will have to configure it to allow outgoing programs such as IE and such.

Install it and disable the XP firewall.

One caveat. If you have a broadband connection, ZA 5.x has been shown to slow down the connection. I and many others have had this problem as discussed in the Broadband forum. ZA 4.x does not have this problem and provides the same excellent protection. If after installing ZA 5.x your connections seems slow, go to my site below and download v.4. Click on the Spyware Suite link and get the rest of the spyware blockers.

Good luck,

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about internet
connections, and download free software.

If you're reading this, thank a teacher. If you're reading this in English, thank a U.S. soldier.

Collapse -
This thread
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 15, 2004 8:00 AM PST
In reply to: ZA is worth it. . .

is also duplicated in the Windows XP forum

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Doh!!
by Coryphaeus / December 15, 2004 8:40 AM PST
In reply to: This thread
Collapse -
sorry!
by noni2 / December 15, 2004 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: (NT) Doh!!

sorry about that, a newbie in more ways than one. don't know how to merge them now, but at least it's been picked up (well spotted, Mark).

thanks for advice. i'm not on broadband, and i have ad-aware, spybot s&d, and spydoctor. also kaspersky anti-virus, and um what else, tds-3. i can't remember which version of the free trial ZoneAlarm i downloaded but i will try again, and keep posted (on the WinXP forum !)

noni

Collapse -
About firewalls.
by chuckieu / December 16, 2004 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: sorry!

As Wayne mentioned, firewalls will slow down a system.
The alternative(no firewall) -of course-is unacceptable.
I have noticed that my Linux system runs about 50% faster
on average than my Windows system. Still plenty fast for everything but Gaming. Protection is more important. chuck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.