Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't Clone C drive, Error 29004 with Norton Ghost

by Dutrie / February 12, 2006 5:08 AM PST

I have a AMD 2600 processor running WinXP SP2. This computer has been running fine for about two years. I wanted to clone the 160 GB ATA Maxtor HD (two partitions)to a larger HD as I am running out of space.
I tried cloning to a new Maxtor Diamond Max10, 200 GB HD set up with MaxBlast 4. The 200 GB drive is divided into two partitions also.
When I try cloning my C: drive with Norton Ghost 3 to the new drive, I get error 29004 Read Sector Failure Sectors 1710951-1719575. After the failure, I have to reformat the first partition on the new drive or my computer will not recognize the drive.

I have run Norton 2005 Disk Doctor on the 160GB drive several times. No errors were reported with DD, but the cloning still will not work.
Norton Speed Disk reaches 39% on this HD and will go no further.

I was able to clone the C: drive with the Maxblast Utilities, but it reported four errors, and the new drive doesn't work, it boots to a blank screen
The second partition of the old HD (160GB)(my data drive) cloned without a problem to the second partition of the new HD (200GB)

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Clone C drive, Error 29004 with Norton Ghost
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Clone C drive, Error 29004 with Norton Ghost
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Acronis, CasperXP and one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2006 7:08 AM PST

After you clone, never boot off the original HD. XP may mark the newly cloned drive as non-bootable.

Collapse -
CasperXP doesn't work
by Dutrie / February 12, 2006 9:27 AM PST

CasperXP also failed. It froze at 13%
There has to be somehthing wrong with this drive. Is there any software (other than Norton) to examine the drive and possibly fix the problem?

Collapse -
If the drive is that bad off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2006 9:44 AM PST
In reply to: CasperXP doesn't work

I install the new drive and install the OS then put the drive in as slave and get the files out.

Collapse -
Powermax helped, but cloned HD will not boot
by Dutrie / February 12, 2006 12:47 PM PST

I downloaded Powermax from the Maxtor website (one version is for floppy, the other for CD). I burned the iso file to a CD and rebooted the computer with the CD. Powermax found problems on the original HD and repaired them, warning that some files would be lost.

Ghost ran without a hitch, but the newly cloned drive will not boot.

Any suggestions?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) XP's repair install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2006 12:49 PM PST
Collapse -
Can't use repair install
by Dutrie / February 13, 2006 12:07 PM PST

I can't use the repair install because I can't enter the Administrator password. This is another problem I haven't resolved. The password I used at setup doesn't work. I have used on-line services to detect the password, and they tell me the password is blank, but that doesn't work either.
My computer (with the old drive) boots without the password screen.

Anyway, there should be a way to clone the C: drive. If this can't be done, what good are backups??
Bottom line is I don't want to have to reinstall XP pro and all my programs, settings etc.

Thanks for your responses.

Collapse -
Im going to try out Paragon Exact Image 7.0..will follow up
by klonestar / February 13, 2006 2:41 PM PST

I just purchased Paragon Exact Image 7.0 to use W/XP Home SP2 for the same use you are looking for. Its supposewd to do what Acronis does plus create a Repair boot CD. I wont have time to test it out for a few days but I will let you know if I have any luck with it.

Best of luck,

BTW I will also be sending the data to the same HD as your new one except the 300GB version.

Collapse -
Waiting to hear how Paragon works
by Dutrie / February 15, 2006 3:08 AM PST

I hope you have success with Paragon

Collapse -
Paragon update
by klonestar / February 17, 2006 4:35 AM PST

Still working on learning how to use the program. I do have a full backup copy made of my C Drive now I just need to figure out if/how to try to boot from it and see if everythings there.

One error/lesson learned so far is that it offers to make a "secure capsule" for storing the backup in (being secure from viruses, crashes, etc..) and in setting up this secure capsule it warns that this capsule will be hidden from the system (comes with its own built in brouser). What it didnt tell me was that my whole 3 partitioned 300GB HD would be hidden from my system! (Not sure if I did it correctly anyway). I ended up reformatting my new HD for system to see it and sent a full image to it successfully without the Secure Capsule set up.

In reading the manual it does appear this program is capable of a full disk image with all personal downloads, settings, documents, etc...

It also makes a bootable recovery disk to use if computer will not boot then lets you into the Restore Wizzard from there. This is what I have yet to try.

Im starting a new thread to make sure I do the "acid test" properly. I hope to be able to use the boot CD created from Paragon to boot into my saved Disk Image on my slave drive.

Will update again after trying this.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?