Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't Change Screen Resolution on System

by cass_sf / April 3, 2008 12:17 PM PDT

we donated our old computer to my son's 2nd grade classroom a few months ago - it is a gateway system running windows 98 with an optiquest L700 monitor. before i took it in i cleaned the whole system and just installed a few educational games for the teacher along with word. there is a wireless card but it has not been hooked up to the router yet so no one has been online.

No idea what the kids were doing but now the resolution is set at lowest settings - when i go into screen properties and try to change to 256 colors or a higher resolution i get a window that says i need to restart in order for the new settings to take effect but when it reboots it does not reset. if i go into advanced settings on the display screen and check "do not have to restart" i can see the resolution resetting to the lowest when i click ok and the window is closing.

I downloaded the driver for the monitor and reinstalled it. no luck. in device manager there does not appear to be any conflicts under video or monitor.

any ideas??? at the lower resolution none of the programs will run! thanks in advance from me and a second grade class :)!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't Change Screen Resolution on System
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't Change Screen Resolution on System
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: video problems
by Kees Bakker / April 3, 2008 9:46 PM PDT

A few remarks:
1. It's sound practice with classroom computers to make an "image" of the hard disk after finishing the install, so you can go back if they mess it up.
2. You mention a "monitor driver", but you don't mention the driver for the video card. I'd start with reinstalling that.
3. If all else fails, there are 2 viable options:
a. Clean install of Windows and all original drivers. Then make the disk image.
b. Install another video card that comes with Windows 98 drivers.

Best of luck.

Kees

Collapse -
was a corrupted graphics card file!
by cass_sf / April 4, 2008 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: video problems

thanks everyone for the suggestions! i downloaded an updated graphics card driver and installed - everything is working great now! thanks for the help and suggestions, glad it ended up being an easy fix, we sure were frustrated :)!

Collapse -
(NT) Good job. Thanks for letting us know.
by Kees Bakker / April 4, 2008 3:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
Guess.
by Bob__B / April 4, 2008 1:03 AM PDT

Use device mgr.
Remove the display/vid adapter.
Reboot.
With a little luck windows will find new hardware and install the proper drivers.
If no luck....then you have to go manual mode....find and install the proper drivers.

As Kee's said....Image a working system.
If you think 2nd graders....little kids...can trash a machine... you should see what college students....big kids...can do

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.