Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Can't change display area

by Teri / November 27, 2004 6:53 AM PST

I am running Windows ME. I recently had to run my quick restore disk and am trying to get all my settings back to where they were. When I go into the display properties and then settings, the slider for the display area will not move. I've had the problem before, and fixed it myself by mistake but can't remember how I did it. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Teri.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Can't change display area
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Can't change display area
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Can't change display area
by thebaitguy / November 27, 2004 10:40 PM PST

You have to go to settings and change the resolution and make sure that your video drivers are properly installed with the system restore disk. They aren't perfect sometimes you have to locate drivers for your machine
off of the restore disk .

Collapse -
by Teri / November 29, 2004 9:44 AM PST

The monitor is not the one that came with the computer, it is a bigger monitor that my uncle gave us. Any idea where I can go to get the driver for a Packard Bell 17 inch monitor?

Collapse -
by Rkmtt / December 3, 2004 3:12 PM PST

I am having a very similar problem, The video display ha s only one option 16 colors and trying to load different video drivers from me cd rom doesn`t help
me 2000 with a an on board video chip.in the troubleshooting section I did get an error code -22 (acpi-irq) xxxxxxxxxxx error 22

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2004 10:10 PM PST
Collapse -
by Teri / December 3, 2004 10:37 PM PST

Sorry, I have a Compaq Presario 5461(its about 5 years old). I don't know what video card or motherboard I have, how do I tell? As I mentioned before, I had fixed the same problem before, I just don't remember how. I have been thinking about it, and I seem to remember changing a slider for some accelerator, but I can't remember where to find it or what the accelerator was for (I am assuming it was for the video card, but not sure I can find it again) Thanks again.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2004 11:38 PM PST
Collapse -
by Teri / December 4, 2004 12:59 AM PST

It did come with 98, but I upgraded it quite a while ago to ME. I will check out the link you provided. Thanks for your help with my problem.

Collapse -
by juanramirez / December 4, 2004 6:34 AM PST

Go to System icon in Contol Panel, then click on performance on the menu, then Graphics under advanced settings, turn down the Graphics Accelerator, then you can adjust the display size.

P.S. you may have to restart in between

Collapse -
by Teri / December 6, 2004 1:24 AM PST

My problem has been resolved! I tried the link R. Profitt suggested but that didn't help, even after chatting with a couple of the support techs. I wound up changing the driver to an Packard Bell driver that was already on my computer, and IT WORKED!! Thank you to each that have tried to help, I truly appreciate it!!!

Teri.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?